• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dove and other wild game hunting…

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
From the northern compound.. few weeks too early...
IMG-20231024-WA0000.jpg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wanted to post this old 2008 video of my son Ryan. This was his second season duck hunting. This was youth season weekend (kids only), he was 10 years old and just turned before that weekend. I was a great weekend, I get all misty eyed watching it. The yellow lab in my girl Molly, RIP 2015.

Before he started shooting, he would tag along with me and my friends on long walk-in duck hunts (back before I had a boat). He used to love going with me and just watching, and carrying some ducks, he insisted on carrying some ducks which used to crack me up.. He knew all about ducking and ID'n ducks before he starting shooting.

23.jpg

Him older...

IMG_0233.JPG

Duck season open's in north Texas next weekend, this past weekend was youth season.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got into some greenheads this weekend, the King duck…
IMG_5789.jpeg

Getting gas this weekend, this guy ask me why I had grass growing all over my boat.. :roflmao:

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been hunting and camping last 2 days, few pix..

IMG_6324.jpeg
IMG_6283.jpeg
IMG_6389.jpeg

IMG_6465.jpeg

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
First buck in over thirty years. Had stopped deer hunting until last year.

Got this one in East Texas on Black Friday.
IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_5569.jpeg

Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got home Sunday from camp/duck hunting trip. Had to come home, reached my 18 duck possession limit. Shot all greenheads, green winged teal, and one wood duck. Only one hen I shoot, I try snd shoot only drake. These are very tasty ducks.

IMG_7415.jpeg

IMG_7383.jpeg

This how I clean all my ducks now, fillet both breast off, skin on, all one piece. I have always left the skin on and done duck steak like this, but keeping it all one piece is a new one form me. I like too cook mine cast iron, skin down, try and render that duck fat. I also like my duck medium to medium rare, this guy eats it rare, it’s personal preference, but you cook like you would a steak.

Next week last weekend of duck season, then I turn to skiing!

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I let these spoonbill ducks pass, I only shoot the tasty ducks. I use this opportunity to focus on my dog, make her sit still and be quiet.

IMG_7206.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This how I clean all my ducks now, fillet both breast off, skin on, all one piece. I have always left the skin on and done duck steak like this, but keeping it all one piece is a new one form me. I like too cook mine cast iron, skin down, try and render that duck fat. I also like my duck medium to medium rare, this guy eats it rare, it’s personal preference, but you cook like you would a steak.
Do you just fill your freezer with that many? How fast do you go through it all? Just curious. :)

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you just fill your freezer with that many? How fast do you go through it all? Just curious.
I like to eat all my ducks fresh, especially when I cook them like steaks. If I freeze them, I cook them other ways out of the freezer. But I like to age them at least 3 days, a week is perfect, but I have aged them in the fridge for 2 weeks or more, never had a duck go bad. I'm cooking for 5 people now in my house, so it can go quick.

But that does not even come close to filling my game freezer, which is about 95% empty right now.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Duck hunting season ended Sunday in Texas/OK. I ended with ducks haven’t shot all season, gadwall, widgeon, and a pintail.

IMG_7644.jpeg

That pintail was a beauty, I picked out the biggest one in the flock.

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_7636.jpeg

Now I turn to ski season!

Sponsor