• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dove and other wild game hunting…

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Shot 4 this morning, headed back home, my wife misses me too much. Got 35 birds on ice, my taste buds are starting to go crazy!!

A6142B51-1703-41B8-AAEC-559EF2DE781D.jpeg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
This is the Golden Arches of west Texas. After bird hunting, gotta stop here and get an Allsup’s fried beef and bean burrito for breakfast. It’s the redneck thing to do.

29F7B153-05B3-4977-8E6D-26161B9D83A3.jpeg

And don’t forget the hot sauce…

9BADCEF3-A5E7-4147-A96E-D3387489BA13.jpeg

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The little SOBs are rallying again here. It appears some migrators have arrived. Time to get the 28 ga. out. But first, sharptails!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thread title edited to reflect the added content.

Reactions: Tex

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can say, I don't think I've known a @Drahtguy Kevin without a Bert.
Good job Bert!

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Often times dove shooting is like trying to hit a curveball in the dark.
I've never done it, but I hear that it is some hard shooting.
Wing shooting with a shotgun, or shooting a flying target, is much different that shooting a still target with a rifle (like a deer). Shooting a still target, you look at the target, then look at the sight on the barrel of your gun, and you put the sight of the target. Many will shut 1 eye, the non dominate eye. This works for shooting a still target, but does not work well with flying targets.

Wing shooting, you shoot with both eyes open, and you always keep your eyes focused on the bird, and never look at the sight on your barrel. If you take your eyes off the bird to look at the sight on the barrel, you will miss the shot. Like hitting a baseball, do not take your eyes off the ball, same thing with wing shooting, do not take your eyes off the bird.

The reason for this is eye focus. Like a baseball, when that ball comes out of the pitchers hand, it is a blur at first, then your eyes slowly focus on the ball, as it gets closer and your eyes have time to focus, it becomes less a blur. If you take your eyes off the ball, you are doomed, no way your eyes will have time to refocus on the ball again. To use a football analogy, its like a receiver taking his eyes off the ball to see where he wants to run, or looking at an in coming defender, mostly likely he will miss that catch, eyes just do not have time to refocus on the ball.

When you are young, your eye focus is much better, you can get away with bad wing shooting methods, but there will come a time, like in your 40's, those eyes slow down big time, and all of sudden you cannot hit crap and you do not know why. If you want to get into wing shooting, like sking, take lessons from a pro, and learn how to shoot right.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That really cool. Outside of dove and duck, I don't know much. I had to look that bird up. What kinda dog is that?

1631589915969.jpeg
The dog is a Deutsch-Drahthaar (www.vdd-GNA.org). Steve, Bert’s brother from another mother, is my avatar photo.

Sharptail grouse are my favorite western bird. Our next adventure is chasing sage grouse in Wyoming followed by ruffed grouse and American woodcock in Wisconsin. I’d give up a lot of activities in life before ruffie and woodcock hunting.

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
She holds the dove perfectly. Nice and easy…Teaching them to fetch is easy, teaching them to fetch on command, sit, hold, don’t chomp on bird, and release on command, that takes training.

E254C933-DC65-449A-A785-EF922FDF6000.jpeg

She crosses her legs like that because she is a lady…

5E549433-2DBD-4750-AAC7-429620ABB0F1.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
She holds the dove perfectly. Nice and easy…Teaching them to fetch is easy, teaching them to fetch on command, sit, hold, don’t chomp on bird, and release on command, that takes training.

View attachment 142683

She crosses her legs like that because she is a lady…

View attachment 142684
My last dog really didn't care so much for dove as their feathers tend to come out very easily. She'd still get 'em though.

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, about 6 to 8 weeks.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
You know you in west Texas when you see big ass long horns… You will find this bad boy north side of 380 between Haskell and Throckmorton.

3CEECD7A-310A-4DD9-8C24-BB46200A2F6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid