• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dove and other wild game hunting…

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pronghorn are the second fastest animal on earth.
My buddy and I were riding my side by side on a dirt road. A pronghorn was in the brush off to the side. I figured he'd run off perpendicular to us but he started running parallel. I was going about 35 and bumped it up to 45. He kept up then dropped it into another gear. Left us in his dust. Keep in mind while he was running he was clearing sagebrush and small washes. It was incredible. They can cover almost 25' per stride.

Seeing a pronghorn run full tilt, a bighorn sheep go up the side of a mountain, and hearing a nearby bull elk bugle are things everyone should experience.

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So cool, I just took this pic. I’m dove hunting west Texas, well hawks are dove hunters too. I love watching them, they fky/glide around above 10 yards over the sunflower looking for dove. It’s cool watching them, but also they kick up the dove, so they keep the birds moving. I get my camera out, im trying to just get a pic of him flying, as soon as I take the pic he dives for the kill! I know he got the kill because it did not come back up.

DC704AC4-22E7-4312-9045-A026A188FD0B.jpeg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This guy is checking out my decoys…

C4CF6EF1-CFB3-44A7-A30A-AA4FAD92D068.jpeg
881F1600-4432-4771-9DE0-B011BEA5BD62.jpeg
E72FCC33-7AC8-4609-90BA-041859330400.jpeg

I have had them try and eat my decoys, but as soon as their claws don’t sink into the decoys they know they were tricked lol…

I keep trying to teach Tara not to eat west Texas wasp, but she won’t listen.

652C053A-EAA4-4429-868F-BDF2AA91F332.jpeg

She eats flys too, she snatches them out of the air like a ninja, I keep telling her she gonna spoil her dinner.

Farmer is plowing the sunflowers now, that will get them birds flying.

421E876A-A910-482B-A663-10243FA96192.jpeg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Weather is so nice, I been hunting in shorts. With the rattle snakes and stuff, this is really dare devilish, kinda like skiing in shorts.

36F14A45-F6E9-44FD-8C47-779B903A052F.jpeg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope those are snake boots! ^
No, they are not snake boots. But if a snake bites them, they would protect me, don't think a bite is going through that leather. The danger is them biting above the boot, snake boots go all the way up to the knee. I bought a pair years ago, and hated wearing them, took them back. If I'm worried about getting bit, I do not wear shorts and I wear my hunting jeans that have built in chaps (I normally wear these all the time) and I wear snake gators if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, I do not like wearing those gators either, especially when it is hot.

My dog though has been through snake avoidance training several times, she will not go any where near a snake, dogs that have been through this training normally save their owner from getting bit.

I hardly ever see them hunting, but I sure watch for them.

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the snake boots. They are a little on the warm side but otherwise not bad.
Its amazing how many people get bit on the hand, reaching down to pick up a dove and they get bit. I always think about that when I'm picking up a bird, or a spent shell...

Neily

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
No, they are not snake boots. But if a snake bites them, they would protect me, don't think a bite is going through that leather. The danger is them biting above the boot, snake boots go all the way up to the knee. I bought a pair years ago, and hated wearing them, took them back. If I'm worried about getting bit, I do not wear shorts and I wear my hunting jeans that have built in chaps (I normally wear these all the time) and I wear snake gators if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, I do not like wearing those gators either, especially when it is hot.

My dog though has been through snake avoidance training several times, she will not go any where near a snake, dogs that have been through this training normally save their owner from getting bit.

I hardly ever see them hunting, but I sure watch for them.

Its amazing how many people get bit on the hand, reaching down to pick up a dove and they get bit. I always think about that when I'm picking up a bird, or a spent shell...

I have the snake boots. They are a little on the warm side but otherwise not bad.
My friend usually uses his Corral boots https://gritroutdoors.com/corral/ for hunting(with gators), says that leather should be thick enough for snakes.
That' kinda scary tbh, one of my friends almost stepped on rattler few weeks ago :eek: Rather be safe than sorry. I do agree tho, snake boots can be super uncomfortable(using gators myself usually).

And yeahm like a third of cases is getting bit on the hand... People gotta pay way more attention man!

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dove season opens September 1st every year, for about 22 states, tradition. Easy limit yesterday morning for the opener….

IMG_3024.jpeg

Slower today, I’ll have to hunt this afternoon to get my limit,

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
One of the things I miss about living in Minnesota was fresh pheasant and wild rice in the fall.

Reactions: Tex

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A former co-worker posted this on FB and made me think of this thread.
Not my words ;) :
More fun historical knowledge . I lived in Reno, for about 3 years working for my family business which was a Peter built truck dealership . Back in the 80’s . Yeah , I sold trucks .
Big semi trucks. Anyway , I bought a house in old south Reno on Arroyo street . Cool old school house . Nice neighborhood. I had a roommate, named “flat Matt” who I met at the zephyr bar on south Virginia street. It was our local. He worked at-the Jc penny warehouse out in Stead . He was from Texas , about 6’5 and 275. We got along very well. We both worked long days. He loved chili and hot dog mixed up. Crazy Texas fuck . So, this one time? His 3 freinds from Texas came and visited . For almost a full fucking week. They were on the way to San Diego . And they were broke as shit. Broke Dick. Sure, I made a big dinner at nights But otherwise you fucks are on your own. So one day after work , I can see feathers blowin in the wind from my back yard . The fuck? I open the door and I smell something cooking . I look at the 3 Texans, lying around watching tv, and I see my Remington 870 12 gauge pump in the corner . Okay fuckers what the fuck is going on! Oh, said Slade from Texas in a long drawl, we just borrowed yer gun and went to the golf course and shot us a goose! It’s cooking now ! Fuck me running !You shot a goose? On a public golf course? In broad daylight? In city limits? Out of season ? With no license ? Using my firearm ?
They just sat there and said with the most cavalier attitude said “ yeah”. “We’re hungry “.
Moral of the story ? Beware of hungry Texans.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Not my words ;) :
More fun historical knowledge . I lived in Reno, for about 3 years working for my family business which was a Peter built truck dealership . Back in the 80’s . Yeah , I sold trucks .
Big semi trucks. Anyway , I bought a house in old south Reno on Arroyo street . Cool old school house . Nice neighborhood. I had a roommate, named “flat Matt” who I met at the zephyr bar on south Virginia street. It was our local. He worked at-the Jc penny warehouse out in Stead . He was from Texas , about 6’5 and 275. We got along very well. We both worked long days. He loved chili and hot dog mixed up. Crazy Texas fuck . So, this one time? His 3 freinds from Texas came and visited . For almost a full fucking week. They were on the way to San Diego . And they were broke as shit. Broke Dick. Sure, I made a big dinner at nights But otherwise you fucks are on your own. So one day after work , I can see feathers blowin in the wind from my back yard . The fuck? I open the door and I smell something cooking . I look at the 3 Texans, lying around watching tv, and I see my Remington 870 12 gauge pump in the corner . Okay fuckers what the fuck is going on! Oh, said Slade from Texas in a long drawl, we just borrowed yer gun and went to the golf course and shot us a goose! It’s cooking now ! Fuck me running !You shot a goose? On a public golf course? In broad daylight? In city limits? Out of season ? With no license ? Using my firearm ?
They just sat there and said with the most cavalier attitude said “ yeah”. “We’re hungry “.
Why they fed themselves and hurt no one unless you consider the goose a "someone":huh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why they fed themselves and hurt no one unless you consider the goose a "someone":huh:

My thoughts exactly, I just thought it was a funny story, especially since they shot the goose on a public golf course :)

As for me, I believe in eating what you kill. Come from a family of hunters and ice fishermen/women.
Ted Nudget had a cookbook several years ago called Kill it and Grill it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As for me, I believe in eating what you kill.

But, but, but, without a package label, I wouldn't know what I am eating. :nono:
Furthermore, without a package, it would not have nutrition facts label on it. How would I know what is in it and whether it's good for me. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not my words ;) :
The good news is, not all Texans are that crazy. I know I'm a little crazy, but I think all skiers are a little crazy too, so I'm probably in good company. It is the rural areas where they are really crazy, west Texas where I dove hunt has plenty, and they all carry guns. But if you get a flat tire on the side of the road, they will be the first one to stop and help you.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for me, I believe in eating what you kill.
I do as well. And I will tell you as a hunter, if you do not feel a little remorse with every animal you take, there is something wrong with you. And if you kill what you eat, you will have more appreciation for life vs buying your dead bird at the grocery store. And the birds prefer it as well. Would you rather be a farm bird in a pin waiting to get slaughtered, or wild bird, where the fastest and most elusive survive?

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But, but, but, without a package label, I wouldn't know what I am eating. :nono:
Furthermore, without a package, it would not have nutrition facts label on it. How would I know what is in it and whether it's good for me. :ogbiggrin:
Don't need a label, it is 100% protein. If you are lucky it will have a little fat, but them wild migratory birds don't have a lot of fat like a farm bird. Have you ever had a Jack in the Box fried taco? Dang they are good, but I often wonder what kinda meat is in there.. :roflmao:

Fried these dove breast up last night, dang they were delicious, dip in ranch. Tenderized them with mallet, helps the mix stick as well, you do not want to over cook them either, it is a red meat like beef, fried these 375 for about 3 minutes.

IMG_4139.jpeg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shot 12 yesterday afternoon, camped, shot 3 this morning. She holds them birds so nicely…

IMG_4227.jpeg

Sponsor