• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dove and other wild game hunting…

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
September 1 opening day every year. Love west Texas dove hunt. That I had my limit, but 1 short of limit.

6375F888-CADC-4FD1-AF3F-005D5F0DEC87.jpeg

So I had to go shoot another.

4064D829-BA92-4F9B-9B8C-B6B768781DE8.jpeg

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Why is this on Skitalk?

Reactions: Tex

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I find it offensive.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have to agree with you if we are taking hunting for sport, but if you are going to eat what you shoot, personally I have no problem with it.
It's polarizing and we shouldn't turn it into a debate. I agree with you though Phil. That burger came from somewhere, don't give hunters who eat their game cut-eye. Everything I've seen says Tex eats his game. Good on him.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an interesting coincidence. I went to have my hair cut and colored today and she told me that her husband was gone on a dove hunt. He arrived home with 6, so didn't get his bag limit.

I came from a hunting fishing family that resided in an agriculture area. We knew that Bessie was going to be steak some day.
I, however, never had dove, although I had game hens.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I was a kid a long time ago, I'd wash the big windows on the house. Every morning, I'd walk around the house and if a dove or quail had hit the window, I'd pick it up, clean it and pull off the skin and feathers. It only took a minute and I'd throw it in the freezer. After a while, I'd accumulate enough for dinner (about 3 per person) and barbeque them up. While I liked the entire bird, my Mom only ate the breast. Very tasty! My Mom had bird feeders so I'm not sure we could honestly taste any difference between the quail and dove - they all had the same bird seed diet.

It seemed to keep the quail and dove populations in check.

Today, I don't see many quail or dove at her house - but there are a lot more raptors now. I don't wash her windows for fear of killing one of the hawks who we occasionally hear hitting the dirty windows - but not hard enough for me to ever see one dead.

Birds are still getting fed there!

Eric

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Had work at it today, limit by 6pm. Bonus collared dove, closest, they to do not count to bag limit, so that is what is called a “kicker”. I’m trying to educate you guys. Tara is living the dream.

22622108-A5E3-4DC7-AF4C-533F2ED34B36.jpeg

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We had two days of excellent dove shooting in northern Colorado. Best I remember in my 15 years here. Got to watch an 8-month-old pup realize her future and a dad spend time with his young family. The joy those kids had afield will stick with me a long time, maybe long enough for people not to be offended by everything they don’t agree with.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've yet to get out. Gotta get the antelope hunt out of the way first. Shorter than ears starts next week.

Sponsor

Staff online