• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dove and other wild game hunting…

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Quick limit this afternoon west Texas. Benelli, there’s no substitute.

B4AFD758-403B-4FA4-B3BF-F4DF14A313D5.jpeg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Shot another limit Saturday morning.

IMG_E9190.JPG

Its my routine during dove season, take a half day off from work friday, drive to west texas, hunt friday afternoon and hunt saturday morning then drive home. Really nice morning, 68 degrees.

This is Tara at work Saturday morning. I shot a bird, Tara has it marked holding steady just waiting for me to release her (on her name). She is like missile locked on where that bird landed...

IMG_E9170.JPG

And when I release her on "Tara!", she takes off like a rocket, kick'n dirt in your face!

IMG_E9172.JPG

When she is coming back, I give her a "easy"..."hold", it is a reminder to calm down, and not chomp on the bird, you see she has her head down...It is constant work and training to get them to retrieve like you want them to...becuase they will slip into bad habbits if you let them.

IMG_E9176.JPG

She holding that bird nice and easy, such a good girl!!

IMG_E9185.JPG

So when I'm hunting Saturday morning, enjoying my coffee and an awsome morning, I look up and over my left shoulder and see this...

IMG_E9140.JPG

At first it scared the bejeebers out of me, WTF is this dove doing! Then I realized it was one of my decoys staring me down. My first thought was that I got to move that decoy, that is creeping me out. Then I relized what a silly thought that was. :roflmao:

Some of my other decoys...

IMG_E9139.JPG

IMG_E9137.JPG

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Shot another limit Saturday morning.

View attachment 144679

Its my routine during dove season, take a half day off from work friday, drive to west texas, hunt friday afternoon and hunt saturday morning then drive home. Really nice morning, 68 degrees.

This is Tara at work Saturday morning. I shot a bird, Tara has it marked holding steady just waiting for me to release her (on her name). She is like missile locked on where that bird landed...

View attachment 144680

And when I release her on "Tara!", she takes off like a rocket, kick'n dirt in your face!

View attachment 144681

When she is coming back, I give her a "easy"..."hold", it is a reminder to calm down, and not chomp on the bird, you see she has her head down...It is constant work and training to get them to retrieve like you want them to...becuase they will slip into bad habbits if you let them.

View attachment 144682

She holding that bird nice and easy, such a good girl!!

View attachment 144686

So when I'm hunting Saturday morning, enjoying my coffee and an awsome morning, I look up and over my left shoulder and see this...

View attachment 144687

At first it scared the bejeebers out of me, WTF is this dove doing! Then I realized it was one of my decoys staring me down. My first thought was that I got to move that decoy, that is creeping me out. Then I relized what a silly thought that was. :roflmao:

Some of my other decoys...

View attachment 144688

View attachment 144689
How's the area work? Is that your land? Public land? etc...

Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
How's the area work? Is that your land? Public land? etc...
Duck hunting I do all public, on area lakes in Texas and Oklahoma. Public dove hunting is not good at all, at least in Texas, I'm been scouting Oklahoma to see if it is better. But this is private land, a west texas farmer I been hunting his land for 15 years. For years I only hunted dove open weekend only, but last year, I had so much fun hunting with Tara, I went every weekend, doing the same this year. He and his large family love crappie, last year I did a fish fry for his family, they loved it. This year I have given him 150 crappie fillets. He will not take my money, next week I'm gonna bring him a honey baked ham.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Howbout a little dove flautas and guacamole....

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

My new cooking toy. Got tired of using my cast iron dutch oven, feel like I'm cheating a little now... :roflmao:

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I shot another easy limit of dove west Texas Friday afternoon, a lot of birds pushed down from the cold front I suspect. Saturday morning, I set up in a spot I expect to smoke them, but I guess the cold front pushed the birds out, there were no birds. I shot 3 birds, spent most of the morning in my truck watching Tara, because it was so dang cold, 39 degrees, all I had and packed was a t-shirt.

Sitting in my truck staying warm, took this pic of Tara, looking for birds, slobber running out both sides of her mouth, that is what happens when she is really focused and no action lol. That head goes back and forth panning, looking for birds, and I can tell the difference when she sees a dove vs another bird. A dove that head goes on missile lock. I do not need to look for birds, Tara does that for me. Many times when I'm hunting, I just look at Tara, she is my eyes...

2021-10-16 - Tara.jpeg

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I miss shooting doves. It’s was a pretty big deal when I lived in CHS, very social outing and I was a member of several clubs.

@Tex - your method of cooking the breast’s wrapped in bacon is how we did them. Maybe in the ziplock for 20 minutes w/ some Allegro marinade while the coals heat.

thanks for posting, now I miss CHS more. Fishing was ok too. ogsmile

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I miss shooting doves. It’s was a pretty big deal when I lived in CHS, very social outing and I was a member of several clubs.

@Tex - your method of cooking the breast’s wrapped in bacon is how we did them. Maybe in the ziplock for 20 minutes w/ some Allegro marinade while the coals heat.

thanks for posting, now I miss CHS more. Fishing was ok too. ogsmile
CHS?

EDIT: Based on airport codes... Charleston?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We just had some antelope meatloaf. It turned out really well.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I think there are definitely times when I'd rather have a cantaloupe... I love cantaloupe!
I love cantaloupe too, but only for desert. But not main meal, my taste buds would get confused. My wife tried to be a vegetarian, her body freaked out, she has to eat meat as much as she would rather not. God made this world where big fish eat small fish. Somethings you just can't change.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I love cantaloupe too, but only for desert. But not main meal, my taste buds would get confused. My wife tried to be a vegetarian, her body freaked out, she has to eat meat as much as she would rather not. God made this world where big fish eat small fish. Somethings you just can't change.
I love beef. Cows eat grass. So, I guess I can claim to be a secondhand vegetarian

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love cantaloupe too, but only for desert. But not main meal, my taste buds would get confused.
I'm such a fan of sweets, I think I could just eat fruit for dinner. I think I probably have at some point.

I love beef. Cows eat grass. So, I guess I can claim to be a secondhand vegetarian
I'm pretty sure this is one of my main sources of vegetables. :D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tomatoes are a fruit. Therefore, spaghetti, pizza, meatloaf, ketchup, catsup...

Sponsor

Staff online