• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DPS discussion

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
OK OK, this is never gonna rival the Stockli one, but whatever. And I just felt awkward adding "never ending"

I do already have 4 pairs of Stockli's - SL, GS, AX, and SR88's with a pair of WRT Pro's on the way.

I decided I want something completely different, so I just ordered a pair of DPS Pegoda 100 RP's with look Pivot 15's. I initially wanted the 112's, but what if it doesn't snow much this year ;-)

No I'm not providing details on how they ski, I don't have them yet. Hopefully they give me something I like, and I will report back in a couple of months. However, my thinking for the time being, is a place for you DPS lovers and haters to speak your words.

Stay tuned!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DPS was the one of the first two brands to support this site and still makes some tremendous skis. We've got a ton of appreciation for their new(ish) facilities.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

already have 4 pairs of Stockli's - SL, GS, AX, and SR88's with a pair of WRT Pro's on the way.

I decided I want something completely different, so I just ordered a pair of DPS Pegoda 100 RP's with look Pivot 15's. I initially wanted the 112's, but what if it doesn't snow much this year ;-)
RP shape short turn radius is different, did you consider 100 Piste C2 shape?

Btw, I've been eying the Pagoda 100 RP myself, a little concerned that it'll be supper turn'y almost a one trick pony, although skiessentials Bob did say it will carve a turn on piste. Fnding mixed reviews on Piste 100 C2, some say it does it all, enough float light and agile enough for bumps and trees, not punishing, carves well at speed, will get you thru the muck and hard pack back to the lifts. Seems like it'll do what I like about my Volkl 90eight's and improve on what the 90eight doesn't do as well... On the other hand Pagoda 100 RP sounds like a lot of fun and not at all a hand full in trees and bumps, easy to release when needed

:huh:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided I want something completely different,

1669871656596.png

I am salivating like a champ over the Pagoda 106 C2. Everything about this ski just screams BUY ME, you WILL love me.
And they are purple! :yahoo:

So, if anyone could please confirm they are as great as I think they are, that’d be nice.

Last edited:

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am looking forward to skiing my Foundation 106 C2s. Made in 'Merica at the Utah facility. I have never been on a DPS and have not really found a review of this ski. However the description of the design intent and the core build seem like a ski I would like. I will say I don't understand how the two narrow strips of carbon, top and bottom, add torsional stiffness. As a non-engineer it seems intuitive that to add torsional stiffness the carbon, metal whatever would have to span the entire width of the ski.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure if this is contributing to stoke or raining on parades, but I really love the slightly older Lotus line. The 124 in particular is a remarkable accomplishment and it makes me sad I never got to try the Spoons and Lotus 120. I did see a Spoon in the wild once and the convex edges would probably make it a unique ride to say the least. I am getting a Heritage 132 to try out so at least some of my curiosity is being satisfied.

The other ski I put on the dearly departed list is the Wailer Hybrid T2 105, based purely on the fact Marshal once said it’s closest competitor is a Monster 108.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Pagoda 94 is one of my favorite skis from them.
I get it, and I understand the nuance and all that. But, meh.

I don't really have anything extremely negative to say about them, but I don't have anything really positive to say either. Wait, I take that back... They're really light.

James

Out There
Instructor
Btw, I've been eying the Pagoda 100 RP myself, a little concerned that it'll be supper turn'y almost a one trick pony, although skiessentials Bob did say it will carve a turn on piste.
Of course it’ll carve a turn. It’s got a lot of sidecut to it.
It’s an unusual shape. I will say that if you are only going to ski 2-d snow, there’s not much point to get it. The whole point is a 2-d to 3-d change in how the ski works. You can’t asses it by just the sidecut of the middle section.

As to trees, unless you’re Candide skiing at insane speeds through trees, the RP shape will likely be more fun. Remember, if the snow gets firm near the tree, you have a lot of sidecut to make a turn quickly.

It also has a tapered tip to enter crud, and a tapered tail if you want to sink it in pow to make a shorter turn.

I have the Alchemist version of the 99. That carbon construction kind of needs 3-d snow to dampen it. I’m not a fan of it on hard snow, but I like metal.

You really should try to ski an 99 or 100 RP, they’ve been out for quite some time now. There was a guy on WildSnow recently who did a write up on a touring quiver of the 94 C2 tour and the 112RP tour. I was surprised he liked the 112RP for pow so much. But it does lend itself to fun if you’re not mach schnelling.

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
I will say I don't understand how the two narrow strips of carbon, top and bottom, add torsional stiffness. As a non-engineer it seems intuitive that to add torsional stiffness the carbon, metal whatever would have to span the entire width of the ski.

This is just marketing. It is not based on any science or engineering. DPS is following the marketing lead of Blizzard who have been saying the same thing since the introduction of the Zero G (i.e., "while unidirectional carbon stringers add torsional stiffness"). Other companies have probably done the same thing. The reason they are doing it is that "carbon" is cool (although we are a little past the peak of coolness) and "torsional stiffness" is starting to be cool too. Just buzzwords that they have to fit somewhere. It might be that the ski has carbon in it and that it is also torsionally stiff, but it is not a cause/effect relationship...

For carbon fibre to increase torsional stiffness, you need to change the orientation of the fibres to something closer to +-45 deg (instead of unidirectional in the direction of the long axis of a ski). Unidirectional carbon fiber will only increase bending stiffness with no effect on torsional stiffness, no matter how wide it is.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is just marketing. It is not based on any science or engineering. DPS is following the marketing lead of Blizzard who have been saying the same thing since the introduction of the Zero G (i.e., "while unidirectional carbon stringers add torsional stiffness"). Other companies have probably done the same thing. The reason they are doing it is that "carbon" is cool (although we are a little past the peak of coolness) and "torsional stiffness" is starting to be cool too. Just buzzwords that they have to fit somewhere. It might be that the ski has carbon in it and that it is also torsionally stiff, but it is not a cause/effect relationship...

For carbon fibre to increase torsional stiffness, you need to change the orientation of the fibres to something closer to +-45 deg (instead of unidirectional in the direction of the long axis of a ski). Unidirectional carbon fiber will only increase bending stiffness with no effect on torsional stiffness, no matter how wide it is.
Directly to Quandary's question, though, a material wouldn't need to be as wide as the ski to add torsional stiffness. It would just need to resist the flex/change it sees when the ski is twisted torsionally - as you point out with regard to the direction of the carbon fibers.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How can this ski be a resort powder ski when it's so light?

You need a heavy ski to power thru the cut up snow an hour after the lifts open.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

You need a heavy ski to power thru the cut up snow an hour after the lifts open.
- they are stiff flexing skis which @SkiEssentials makes reference of in group comparison's as being a DPS char ppl either love or hate

1936 & 1963 DPS Pagoda 100 RP, 184 cm (21/22)

2041 (avg.) DPS Pagoda Piste 100 C2, 189 cm (20/21) *pre-production sample*

"Pagoda Piste 100 C2 is pretty lightweight. It’s not absurdly light by any means, given that many skis these days are coming in similarly light. At an average measured weight of 2041 g per ski for the 189 cm version, the Pagoda Piste 100 C2 comes in at a similar weight to the Head Kore 99, Dynastar M-Pro 99, and Liberty Origin 96. On the other end of the spectrum, there are far heavier skis like the Volkl Mantra 102 and Nordica Enforcer 100, so we’re curious to see where the Pagoda Piste 100 C2 slots in terms of damping and stability."

"Here’s how we’d characterize the flex pattern of the 189 cm Pagoda Piste 100 C2:

Tips: 8.5
Shovels: 8-8.5
In Front of Toe Piece: 9-9.5
Underfoot: 10
Behind the Heel Piece: 10-9
Tails: 8.5-9

@SkiEssentials: "Jeff Neagle skied the 179 and notes that it felt good and was a good size for him. He scored the ski 4’s out of 5 for flotation, stability, quickness, maneuverability, torsional stiffness, edge hold, versatility, and overall impression. “Pretty impressive skis. Not really what I think of when I think of DPS. To me, the RP shaping is the "traditional" DPS shape, and these C2 skis extend the sidecut into a ski that feels quite a bit different. It still feels relatively light on your feet, as most DPS skis do, but when you tip it on edge, especially on firm snow, it has a powerful feel and a bite to it that the RP skis just can't match. Pretty much limitless speed limit, especially for someone my weight. I suppose a heavier skier who's used to a heavier ski might not find it as stable at speed, or maybe just not as quiet at speed, but that's going to be a really small percentage of skiers. Holds an edge well, tracks well through choppy snow conditions, and it's a very strong ski overall. What's nice about it is it does have some of that classic DPS shape to it. The rocker and taper aren't nearly as pronounced as some of their skis, but it's still there. That means edge release is a little easier than on skis with wider tips and tails and/or less rocker, so it feels quicker and more agile when you take it off-piste into trees and other technical terrain. Not as maneuverable as the Pagoda 100 RP, but less fatiguing and easier to flick around than most of the "powerful" skis in this category.”

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess you know that I'm on katanas, a lot heavier, long radius and i love them. I ski the vwerks katana and mantra in the backcountry, and they are also great skis.

The dps i tried were not for me

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier

It was designed, and is really popular, at a resort where untracked snow lasts for days in the trees and long cat tracks lead back to lifts (short radius carving keeps them interesting).

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

Ever tried the old Lotus stuff? I agree with you that the heavily tapered Wailer influenced shapes they’re doing now don’t appeal, but the super old 120 is something I’d love to try.

The 124 Alchemist I have is awesome. The 189 Koala 119 is also one of the biggest skis (Uber stiff and not at all light) I’ve ever used, curious to get out on it again if conditions line up this year.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess you know that I'm on katanas, a lot heavier, long radius and i love them. I ski the vwerks katana and mantra in the backcountry, and they are also great skis.

No.

Based on how much I like my 90eight's, If I found a deal on latest gen Volkl V-werks I'd buy them with the intent being for resort use, then I could see putting a light'ish touring binding on the 90eight

I get the idea DPS are somewhat like the Head Kore skis, one guy here did not like Pagoda Piste 94 C2 where he skis in the East, @Tricia loved it in the "real mountain's" where she skis, IIRC she referred to it as the best DPS ski yet

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ever tried the old Lotus stuff? I agree with you that the heavily tapered Wailer influenced shapes they’re doing now don’t appeal, but the super old 120 is something I’d love to try.
guess that's part of the why they offer the Piste C2 shape

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
guess that's part of the why they offer the Piste C2 shape

I’d be open to trying them at a demo event, but they’re still not quite there for me. The ~100 underfoot skis I actually use regularly are almost 400 grams per ski heavier and usually substantially straighter than the C2 line.

Think the Wailer T2 I mentioned was a ~28 meter radius if Evo is to be believed, the vintage 120 was from memory something truly silly like 45 meters.

Sponsor

Staff online