• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dragging Poles in Slalom?

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Does anybody know if there's much time impact from dragging the inside pole in the snow near the apex of each turn in Slalom? It can't be worth nothing, but not sure if it's worth thinking about or not.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have watched Mikaela and she drags a pole when needed - I think. I am not afraid to drag a pole. Pole plants seem to be almost non-existent unless in the bumps or slow. short turns.

Last edited:

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't think dragging the inside pole impacts the course time that much. However, we try to teach our kids to keep the inside hand up and forward and using the outside hand down for more leverage. Meaning if the athlete is dropping their inside hand in either GS or SL then they are probably over rotating (lack of upper and lower body separation). If the inside hand (pole) is up and the outside hand is more down than that should create more counter and hip angulation (staying low) at the gate. If you look at Petra Vlhova in this photo you can see she is fairly stacked and her upper body is facing down hill. Her inside hand in this photo may be down a little but overall she is moving down the corridor of the slalom course.

1678823582591.png

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you look at Petra Vlhova in this photo you can see she is fairly stacked and her upper body is facing down hill. Her inside hand in this photo may be down a little but overall she is moving down the corridor of the slalom course.

View attachment 196565

Looks like she is dragging the left.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah it's probably very difficult to avoid dragging the pole a little especially on steeper terrain, but sometimes I see the kids dragging their inside pole a lot almost like a balancing crutch which is something racers want to avoid. In other words if they're leaning into the turn too much, then they are going to drag the pole more, but if they are using a more countered and hip angulation then the pole position will be higher and less drag if any. In GS most good racers are clearing the pole with their inside arm/shoulder, thus keeping the inside hand higher and the pole off the snow. However, I am not a fan of junior racers wearing forearm guards, because if they are clearing the GS panel with their forearm they are most likely pinching the turn, where if the kids are hitting the gates I like to see it going off their back shoulder which means the skis are pointed toward the rise line of the new turn rather than downhill, thus too much pressure at the bottom of the gate and scrubbing speed. Of course all racers pinch from time to time, but overall the skis will be faster when pointed toward the new turn. Here is a good photo of Mikaela passing the gate with the panel at her back and the skis are pointing in the direction of the new turn.

1678827932328.png

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
As someone who’s tried an aggressive pole drag in one of those “oh crap, I’m going way too fast moments”, I’m telling you that a pole drag doesn’t do diddly-squat for deceleration.

Sponsor