• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drifting Cuff Alignment

Bill R

aka NoCapes
Skier
I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 S boots and one of the cuff alignment spinners/adjusters, on the outside of the left boot, moves during a day of skiing. It starts off aligned with the mark for the straight position and then ends up turning 20 to 30 degrees.

Cuff Alignment after skiing.jpg

I took it in to a local shop and their response was that since it was only on one side of the boot and it wasn't turning much it wouldn't make much difference. Is this a common problem or non-problem? Is there a way to lock this down?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it a problem? Well, that depends on you.

Mamie had that issue with her Atomic Hawk Ultra 110 few seasons back. It's due to wear and tear at the hinge. Get the boot tech to tighten (pinch) the rivet a bit. Just tight enough so the adjustment would hold. If it is too tight, the boot will not flex properly.
If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can have your shop order a new progressive cuff alignment replacement set. Installation is pretty easy.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s very possible that where it wants to be, and over time due to stress while skiing moves to natural position your body needs it. Just a thought, especially if it ends up in the same place every time.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@Bill R - like KingGrump said, the compression rivet as most likely loosened a bit, but it can be compressed & tightened up. I would position it where you & your boot-fitter want it and have said boot-fitter compress it that position. Should be good to go then.

Reactions: cem

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 S boots and one of the cuff alignment spinners/adjusters, on the outside of the left boot, moves during a day of skiing. It starts off aligned with the mark for the straight position and then ends up turning 20 to 30 degrees.

View attachment 131155

I took it in to a local shop and their response was that since it was only on one side of the boot and it wasn't turning much it wouldn't make much difference. Is this a common problem or non-problem? Is there a way to lock this down?
Ooooh! This would drive me MAD! Hopefully a simple fix, as suggested by the comment above.

TS
B

Bill R

aka NoCapes
Skier
Mamie had that issue with her Atomic Hawk Ultra 110 few seasons back. It's due to wear and tear at the hinge. Get the boot tech to tighten (pinch) the rivet a bit. Just tight enough so the adjustment would hold. If it is too tight, the boot will not flex properly.
If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can have your shop order a new progressive cuff alignment replacement set. Installation is pretty easy.

Thanks for the responses!

Hopefully this is a simple fix. If it does need a new progressive cuff alignment replacement set are these brand specific? Do I need to go to someone that stocks Atomic or can any boot fitter get the parts?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the responses!

Hopefully this is a simple fix. If it does need a new progressive cuff alignment replacement set are these brand specific? Do I need to go to someone that stocks Atomic or can any boot fitter get the parts?

This is the progressive cuff alignment replacement set I had the shop ordered for me to replace the hinge pivot on Mamie's boots. That one looks like the right replacement for your boot. Atomic makes several different ones.
The replacement parts I referenced above is not only brand specific but also boot specific. Most Atomic boot dealer should be able to order them for you. Have them check for proper application. I am sure they can install it for you also.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Before damaging the small threads by crimping (Hail Mary approach).

Green Loctite (wick grade), just a drop to stop to movement, but will break free when twisted (ie adjusted, re-apply after adjustment).

If that’s not available borrow some nail polish from someone and apply a drop to the inside threads. Just don’t blame me if rumors get started about you if someone questions why you need nail polish.....(but at least you now have an excuse ogwink if that really is your thing).

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Before damaging the small threads by crimping (Hail Mary approach).

Green Loctite (wick grade), just a drop to stop to movement, but will break free when twisted (ie adjusted, re-apply after adjustment).

If that’s not available borrow some nail polish from someone and apply a drop to the inside threads. Just don’t blame me if rumors get started about you if someone questions why you need nail polish.....(but at least you now have an excuse ogwink if that really is your thing).

The oem hinge pivot unit is held together by a pinch rivet. The rivet does not have thread.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Two options pretty much laid out above, have a store with a rivet press compress the rivet a bit and the pro ole will go away or have the rivet section drilled out and replaced with the excentre cant bolts as linked to above, again your local dealer should be able to sort this for you easily

TS
B

Bill R

aka NoCapes
Skier
The season ended for me last Sunday. I'll bring the boots in to a shop when I get my skis tuned at the start of next season. Until then...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I had all kinds of parts falling off boots. IDK? But loctite did the trick.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had all kinds of parts falling off boots. IDK? But loctite did the trick.

The original eccentric hinge mechanism is a specialty tubular rivet with the adjustable eccentric being one end of the rivet. The expanding tubular side is backed up by a metal washer to distribute the load on the plastic of the boot. Locktite or similar thread locking fluid would not be effective in this specific application.

The replacement hinge mechanism is of screw and tee nut design. Locktite has been pre-applied to the male threaded screws for ease of installation.

Sponsor

Staff online