• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drill size for Carver Plus?

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Quick dumb question, what drill size should I use to mount a set of late-90's Volkl Carver Plus skis? Thanks for your indulgence!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sit on the couch, take two bourbons ... and maybe a third until the desire to mount these goes away. ;)

A 4.1x9.5 should be fine.

TS
M

motogreg

Skier
Oh come on, Phil, I've been pouring over skiing magazine from december 1998 and these skis are the BOMB! ;) Besides, they're the 5th ski in the quiver, so no harm done...... Thanks, you're the best!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh come on, Phil, I've been pouring over skiing magazine from december 1998 and these skis are the BOMB! ;) Besides, they're the 5th ski in the quiver, so no harm done...... Thanks, you're the best!
I had one of these in 1998, it was the BOMB too!
laserdisc-player2.jpg

Sorry, but ski days are too short and too far between to ski these. If you are going to back in time, do it right with a bunch of "the BOMB" skis...
  • Rossignol 4S/FP/ROC
  • The Ski
  • Volkl P9 SL/RS
  • K2 710/810
  • Blizzard Thermo (teal)
  • Spalding Sideral
  • Dynastar Course SL
  • Atomic Bionic RS (Red Sled)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I think we should start a 'whimsical' gear thread.

Not because it's a good idea. Not because it's nostalgic.

Simply because we have a whim to.

TS
M

motogreg

Skier

This, pretty much. I lived in SLC in my 20's back in the 90's and worked at a hotel. Part of the deal was we got free demos at a local shop, and when I checked out these skis, I was unable to fall. Had many a "best day ever" running laps on Wildcat on these on inch-an-hour days. Never got around to buying them for myself. So a mix of whimsy, nostalgia, and a longing for the "good ol' days" when I was young and...judgementally challenged.

If I could find them I'd buy and mount a pair of K2 "Fun Short"s, my first skis, purchased at a gar(b)age sale for $5.

I rock a set of Solly snowblades a couple runs a season, too....talk about whimsical. Good reminders of the importance of fore-aft balance!

Our local hill (Crystal MI) started blowing last night, so it's coming! Maybe the first day I'll do a back to back comparison of the Carvers and the AX's, talk about whimsical!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

I guess we could since we don't have much snow to ski on yet. Or maybe in the summer when we need to talk about skiing when most of us have nothing ski related to do.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
HeliDogs and K2 Four FTW if we're talking late 90s

Last edited:

Sponsor