• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Driving from Madison WI to Jackson Hole

HeavenlySaddle

Booting up
Skier
Which is the easier/safer drive with winter condition, while optimizing drive time? I-90, I-80, or highway 20?
Will be driving a 4x4 Full Size SUV.

Mazama

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We live in Sheridan WY. It is largely major weather system dependent. I-80 has been hit hard this year with storms stopping traffic a couple of times. I-90 is most likely better, if weather is not the main factor. Highway 20 is a stressball in general unless you are familiar with it, especially if there is any ice. If you take I-90, the route down through Ennis is better to JH vs going down through Big Sky (unless you want to stop and ski there) as it is easier to drive and usually has far less traffic, but a tiny bit longer.

TS
HeavenlySaddle

HeavenlySaddle

Booting up
Skier
We live in Sheridan WY. It is largely major weather system dependent. I-80 has been hit hard this year with storms stopping traffic a couple of times. I-90 is most likely better, if weather is not the main factor. Highway 20 is a stressball in general unless you are familiar with it, especially if there is any ice. If you take I-90, the route down through Ennis is better to JH vs going down through Big Sky (unless you want to stop and ski there) as it is easier to drive and usually has far less traffic, but a tiny bit longer.
Thanks Mazama. I will probably take I-90 based on the suggestions, and route through Casper, Dubois to Jackson - is hwy 26 subject to road closure when snowing?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, I'm in Iowa and havent driven the route but I'd get onto 90 as it's 4 lane. From Madison you're on it quickly and it looks "shorter" time and mile wise.

20 ... it's 4 lane in Iowa but then I don't think I'd care to do a 2 lane especially in poor weather through much of NE and Wy. Otherwise, 80 does offer lots of stops

I've done 80 to Laramie and 90 to Rapid City, good solid roads. 80 as noted has lots of places to stop/stay, fewer along 90 but I enjoyed the trip and maybe some consideration in if you plan any site seeing. Maybe a loop, miles on 90 and 80 look to be very close to the same

A check of weather prior to trip would be my decider between 80 or 90

Last edited:

Mazama

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Every two lane highway in Wyoming is very hard to drive in snow with the inevitable wind. You literally can't see the roads at times!
Thanks Mazama. I will probably take I-90 based on the suggestions, and route through Casper, Dubois to Jackson - is hwy 26 subject to road closure when snowing?
I-25 from Buffalo south to Casper has been closed at least a dozen times this year already. I-90 from Sheridan to Billings to Bozeman was only closed twice so far this year. Hwy 26/20 will absolutely close if it is snowy - plus even in sunny weather you need to dodge antelope this time of year at lower elevations wandering across the roads. Dubois to JH is a gorgeous drive, but it is also hard to drive in snow/ice, but no animals as it is higher elevation. The problem is that snowstorms are almost always followed by higher winds in WY. The east slopes are far windier than west slopes and those are usually always road closers during and after snow storms. Even in nice weather, I-80 can get high winds for miles (60mph+)! This is off of facebook at mile marker 270 on I-80 last week in sunny weather (not my photo). Probably got a bit too windy :).

Incoming weather systems, with precise snow and wind forecasts, should be your main decision factors though.

Attachments

• boat on I-80.jpg
    boat on I-80.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
After driving through Wyoming 3 times in the last 2 weeks I gotta say that the Wyoming DOT does job the worst job of any state I have driven in the winter as far as clearing the major roads/highways. I understand there aren't many people and the wind blows but the roads were pretty bad. I have an Expedition 4x4 so no problem, but a lot of vehicles were really struggling.

Sponsor

Staff online