• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dune....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was never my jam.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Was never my jam.

I still wish the David Lynch film had been successful enough for the franchise to have been taken all the way through to Chapterhouse.

I'm not particularly excited about this new remake of the first installment, but given the prominence of Duncan Idaho through the novels, Jason Momoa is a strong choice for franchise extension.
The new Paul, the new Jessica, the new Chiani - meh.
Stilgar and Gurney Halleck :thumb:
Of course, nothing and no one could equal the evil Sian Phillips as the Reverend Mother.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Am a fan of good sci-fi movies or tv but as adult not a fiction book reader so not invested in that way. Note although I could enjoy such reading and watching tube stuff daily I decided decades ago to be absorbed elsewhere that has done well. That noted, prefer more science less fantasy. Instead have filled much of my adult decades reading science or tech non-fiction that was in part career driven by necessity. In fact last few days have been over hours reading end chapters of a college student used textbook Voyages to the Stars and Galaxies by 2007 Fraknoi Morrison Wolff years ago I read to mid book. So for a watch of Dune I will be ready for the experience.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^Bring your politics and sociology texts. Dune is about the capacity of individuals to influence society and the tools (religious, hierarchical, resource control) they might choose to use. And only the very first book has a conventional hero arc.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Yeah we watched the OG 80's David Lynch film to prep - it was as weird and wonderful as I remembered. 12 yo son is stoked for it, as am I. Whole fam is in fact, OK except maybe the Teenaged Daughter. 3 outta 4 ain't bad.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going to see it at an Imax probably weekend after next.

I found the '80's movie unwatchable.

I read the book a looong time ago. I think I tried to read the follow up books but just couldn't get into them. Stopped reading sci fi at least 20 years ago.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
#MeToo :roflmao: :roflmao:

The first book is a masterpiece. It is perfect. Then the others...well..not so much. IMHO of course.

To this reader, Messiah and Children felt like Siddhartha transposed into an Iranian Revolution milieu. Well done but you have to be in the mood. Readers expecting politics with a space opera tone might do better with something like Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm very much looking forward to seeing it hopefully in Imax. The first book is fantastic. It's been decades since I read the rest of the series but I remember liking but not loving it.

James

Out There
Instructor
I found the '80's movie unwatchable.
I went to it in a theater and couldn’t believe how bad it was. Might have been the first and last movie I walked out of. As I remember, thinking dialog where they speak with their minds, not voice, was maddening.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
It might be the first movie I go to since the pandemic began. I would like to see it in Imax but the closest theater that had it closed, a victim of covid. It will be a treat to see anything on a big screen.

I loved the book and a few of the sequels. How many were there?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I loved the book and a few of the sequels. How many were there?

4 sequels (Messiah, Children, God Emperor, Chapterhouse) would give you the main arc, enough to completely reform and re-inform any initial reading of Dune.

(It's kinda hard to cheer individual heroism and just-do-it individual agency when it becomes the seed of future failure or future stagnation on galactic scale). The rest follow a Tolkien-like pattern - there is a prequel and a larger framing story and gobs of adjuncts.

I would like to see it in Imax but the closest theater that had it closed, a victim of covid.

We have an IMAX theater showing it - but I absolutely dread going there. Having a clean mass-release theater was a victim of employee downsizing long before the virus hit.
The place was sticky and stinky even before the first showing of the day. Like I want to put a towel down on the car upholstery for the ride home.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online