• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dune....

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Please note that I disagree with the above analysis on several important points.

For example, the article completely misses out on the specific detail that the Fremen belief system is astroturfed into the Fremen society by the Bene Gesserit mothers, based on historical record, *because* they want to create a belief-driven insurrection wave.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
We saw it on HBO Max 1st, and immediately booked IMAX tickets. Totally worth it - just epic on the BIG screen. And the soundtrack! Goodness gracious!

If we had more free time would try to see it again in IMAX - it's that good - no CGI artifacts were detected, usually you can tell, they have gotten really, really good at it.

I am inspired to re-read the series, it's been a long time, 30+ years?

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
For me, it was a very Denis Villeneuve film, and that’s fine by me. I was reminded more of Blade Runner 2049 in terms of the pace of the story telling and music, but it was a bit shorter and there were more action scenes.

It’s my kind of movie, but I could tell that there were others in the theater with me getting a bit bored by the pace (same as when I watched Blade Runner 2049).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good enough sci-fi movie, and tries to follow the novel while being limited on the attention to minutia in the books. I enjoyed it overall, but….

….I’m kind of glad I watched it on HBO Max; the soundtrack was a little too heavy on the “dramatic spectacle” moments like when the Emperor’s herald arrives, or when the Atreides arrive on Arrakis. Kind of force-feeding the awe. I had to turn down the volume at times to accommodate my SO and I think it would have been oppressive for her in a theatre.

But maybe that’s just us getting old.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Good enough sci-fi movie, and tries to follow the novel while being limited on the attention to minutia in the books. I enjoyed it overall, but….

….I’m kind of glad I watched it on HBO Max; the soundtrack was a little too heavy on the “dramatic spectacle” moments like when the Emperor’s herald arrives, or when the Atreides arrive on Arrakis. Kind of force-feeding the awe. I had to turn down the volume at times to accommodate my SO and I think it would have been oppressive for her in a theatre.

But maybe that’s just us getting old.

You're not old until you turn on Night time dynamic compression - at 8 pm.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My problem with sound tracks is if I turn it down enough not to be hurt by the loud scenes, I can't hear what the actors are saying in the quiet conversations. I have to continually adjust the volume. I need to rig up an automatic volume control to mute the dynamic range.
Tell me more about this "dynamic compression".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tell me more about this "dynamic compression".

That is exactly what it is for - compressing loudness beyond normal dialogue so that you don't get blasted by soundtracks and advertising.
Most of the algorithms work pretty well at medium listening volumes.

Downsides: Music can sound deflated in big orchestral passages , volume control doesn't work quite right and - at super low volumes speech is both flatter and less distinct.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And here I thought he was talking about compression socks that you wear at night to help with crappy circulation.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looking forward to seeing this latest incantation of Dune. The previous version was less than stellar.

There's another Frank Herbert character I'd like to see make it to film. Jorj X. McKie from the Bureau of Sabotage. IIRC Frank postulated a world where Govt had become so ruthlessly efficient that non-one could keep up with the changes in laws. So BuSab was formed with the aim of slowing down the workings of Govt and Jorj X's job title was Saboteur Extraordinary.

Jorj X appeared 1st as the main character in Whipping Star and there was a couple of other novels after that. Very different to the Dune series.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Looking forward to seeing this latest incantation of Dune. The previous version was less than stellar.

There's another Frank Herbert character I'd like to see make it to film. Jorj X. McKie from the Bureau of Sabotage. IIRC Frank postulated a world where Govt had become so ruthlessly efficient that non-one could keep up with the changes in laws. So BuSab was formed with the aim of slowing down the workings of Govt and Jorj X's job title was Saboteur Extraordinary.

Jorj X appeared 1st as the main character in Whipping Star and there was a couple of other novels after that. Very different to the Dune series.
Well Dune is quite probable in some time and place, but an efficient government? That Frank Herbert sure had quite an imagination!

Sponsor

Staff online