• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dune....

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was very excited about Foundation. And then I saw it and....meh...

So, I will reserve my judgement for now.
so you actually saw the "Foundation" movie and didn't like it? Was one of my favorite trilogies going way back.

They're never like the book. Like "I, Robot"..

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are going to see it in IMAX tomorrow - I’m not a huge dune fan but my husband is more excited than a kid on Christmas Eve.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't be the only one who pretends to use The Voice on my dog, right?
Right?

Well, dunno about The Voice, but the line "These aren't the biscuits you are looking for. Move along." was the first thing in English my cat learned a long long time ago... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

P.S. Hey, speaking about reinventing stuff-where can we talk about the new Iron Maiden album? I need a thread where I can express in lots of words my total admiration for the new work of the old dogs.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Looks like this senior tomorrow can walk down the mile to our local theater where the 11:30am matinee is just $6.50. Otherwise seeing the few IMAX's in the area are all at least $14.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was really into the Dune series in my teens and early 20's, and thought the Lynch film sucked when it came out. I'm not terribly interested in seeing this one, would go if my daughter wanted to but I never turned her on to the books (at least, she never took my suggestion to read them) and we're currently on a Hitchhiker's Guide jag (that movie sucked worse than the Lynch film).

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
We watched it last night on HBO Max. This you should see in theaters for the cinematography. The sound was great too. The subwoofer was shaking the house and we could feel The Voice in the chest, especially the first time Paul used it.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
have you heard the BBC radio series yet?
When I got to the Christmas Special I found the transition in style to be pretty jarring, and put it down. I've still got it bookmarked, will probably try it again before long.

Every October I think of dressing up as Marvin.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
have you heard the BBC radio series yet?
That was OK... pretty faithful to the book, but very condensed, as you might expect. And I didn't like the casting for Ford. (I didn't like it in the movie much either, but it was way better than Zaphod.)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
we're currently on a Hitchhiker's Guide jag (that movie sucked worse than the Lynch film).

Oh boy....where do I start....that movie sucked SO BAD, it was simply.....embarrassing, I mean, can we just never ever mention it?

Can we just talk about something good...like...the new Iron Maiden album? Senjutsu anyone?

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nicko is killing it man I am telling ya
I never got much into that genre, in the '70's and '80's I was more into Prog and Fusion. Nowadays I'm pretty likely to be listening to stuff from the '40's and '50's - Ella, the Rat Pack, Dexter, Trane, Mobley, the Texas Tenors, that kind of thing. Big fan of Jane Monheit.

Not knocking Maiden's chops, mind you. Skilled artists, for sure.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was more into Prog

Ah, EXACTLY! Me too!

This (sorry everyone again for the thread hijack, sorry) is a blend of the best Iron Maiden and best Genesis ever-I am talking here Dancing with the Moonlit Knight best.
Imagine one of the best heavy metal bands on Earth blended with one of the best prog rock bands on the same planet.

Glorious!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As noted, watched this episode of Dune today in my nearby inexpensive theater. Beforehand, was glad I read this book synopsis that nicely filled in some where the movie obviously doesn't have time developing characters and complexity. The movie only reaches the fourth paragraph in this synopsis so further episodes will be forthcoming. Was good entertainment, deep and slow moving, well directed, yeah go see it.

Had looked at some viewer comments on whether watching in IMAX would be worthwhile and after the viewing was glad I did not. Much of the filming by Villeneuve was with dim lighting inside sandstone structures much like he used in the acclaimed sci-fi
Arrival within the alien ship I much enjoyed. However in this movie that reduced my perception of detailed complexity that of course makes CGI effects easier to create. The two cast leads Timothée Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson worked well and several key characters have already met eternity. There is a reasonable balance between action scenes and character interactions. The movie ends at a hopeful positive emotional point after much was lost.

This was my first time inside a theater since the pandemic began and masking was required, however it immediately became obvious covering all the way above my nose would be impossible because as an eyeglass wearer, they quickly fogged up haha. So wore below my nose but then just a few people in the theater and I've even had the third Pfizer booster.

Sponsor

Staff online