• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dynamic HPS

CO Dreaming

1992, Snowbird on K2 710s
Skier
About 1977 I obtained a pair of used demo skis through a friend of a rep. The skis were the Dynamic HPS (High Performance Short). They were kind of odd. They had an unusually wide tip and tail and a narrow mid-section. They were also soft in the tip and tail, but stiff in the center. A lot of people commented on them as they were weird looking for their time. I've never seen another pair.

I liked these skis quite a lot. They carved like crazy, were good in the bumps and were surprisingly good on hardpack and ice. They were fantastic on super steep terrain. I never learned anything about them at the time. I just used them for about five years until they completely delaminated.

Recently, I went online and did a web search on the model. A brief review turned up in a copy of the November 1976 issue of Ski Magazine. Part of the review notes, “A wide profile and firm torsional stiffness encourage aggressive skiing in powder, moguls and very steep terrain.” That pretty much summed up what I had always though about the ski. I’ve attached a snapshot copy of the complete review.

I’ve always believed that this ski was the archetype of the modern shape ski, but I’ve never seen it recognized as such. Was this a one-time wonder or did the ideas used in the ski actually get recognized and advanced into the shape revolution? The ski certainly was unique and about a quarter century ahead of its time. What would be the current equivalent?

Dynamic HPS.JPG

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
About 1977 I obtained a pair of used demo skis through a friend of a rep. The skis were the Dynamic HPS (High Performance Short). They were kind of odd. They had an unusually wide tip and tail and a narrow mid-section. They were also soft in the tip and tail, but stiff in the center. A lot of people commented on them as they were weird looking for their time. I've never seen another pair.

I liked these skis quite a lot. They carved like crazy, were good in the bumps and were surprisingly good on hardpack and ice. They were fantastic on super steep terrain. I never learned anything about them at the time. I just used them for about five years until they completely delaminated.

Recently, I went online and did a web search on the model. A brief review turned up in a copy of the November 1976 issue of Ski Magazine. Part of the review notes, “A wide profile and firm torsional stiffness encourage aggressive skiing in powder, moguls and very steep terrain.” That pretty much summed up what I had always though about the ski. I’ve attached a snapshot copy of the complete review.

I’ve always believed that this ski was the archetype of the modern shape ski, but I’ve never seen it recognized as such. Was this a one-time wonder or did the ideas used in the ski actually get recognized and advanced into the shape revolution? The ski certainly was unique and about a quarter century ahead of its time. What would be the current equivalent?

View attachment 121745
I can't help you with much about the ski but I do remember that in the mid 1970's some manufacturers experimented with P-Tex top sheets on their ski. One company I think did that was the Spalding ski company. As the article stated the idea was to make the top sheet easy to repair. Wish we had some pictures of that Dynamic ski.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The origin of modern shaped skis is shrouded in mystery and disinformation. I do recall reading (decades later) about a "shaped" ski that was experimented with in the 1960s by a not-so-small brand (I recognized the name), but I can't recall any more details, other than it didn't catch on.

Uncle-A

Skier
The origin of modern shaped skis is shrouded in mystery and disinformation. I do recall reading (decades later) about a "shaped" ski that was experimented with in the 1960s by a not-so-small brand (I recognized the name), but I can't recall any more details, other than it didn't catch on.
The Head 320 some say was a first for having a exaggerated shape. It was made in two versions the 320E and the 320W that represents the East and West. I think the version made for the East was the one with the shape design. There may be a article about it in the All Things Head thread but not sure if I remember correctly.

Uncle-A

Skier

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Dynamic had a short high performance ski in the early 70's (think they called a VR-27 not like the later ones). Saw a bunch of European World Cup coaches using them around the courses. Remember those guys were flying on those little things, maybe a 180 in the days of 210 GS skis. Do not remember an extreme side cut, but there is a lot about the early 70's I don't remember.