• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DynaRossi SL or FIS SL – help needed

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a quick turning slalom ski for my local bunny hill (up to half mile-long runs/300 ft vert, mostly hard/icy groomers, man made snow). We are talking some dedicated tool here – no intention to take the skis to bumps of powder. My primary objectives are (1) to maximize the fun factor, and (2) work on my technical carving skills.

Myself: 50 yo, 6’1, 190 lbs upper intermediate, been skiing for 15+ years ca 30 days per year, always willing to learn and improve.

So far my search has been narrowed down to the following:
  • Dynastar Speed FIS SL @165 cm (2017 or 2018) - R13
  • Dynastar Speed Master SL @168 or 173 cm (2020) or its progenitor SpeedZone 16 Ti @168 cm (2018) - R13 or 14 depending on length
  • Rossignol Hero Athlete FIS SL @165 cm (2020) - R13
  • Rossignol Hero Elite ST Ti @167 cm (2020) - R13.
Would appreciate any general feedback or advice on which of the skis would best fit my goals. Some specific questions I have are:

- Are FIS skis so seriously stiff that they would take a layman for a ride? Or am I overthinking this?

- Speaking of non-FIS SL – can I go with 167/168 cm, or would 173 be a better length for my purpose?

- Is DynaRossi R22 plate an improved incarnation of R21, or just a “marketing” upgrade?

- How does binding placement affect ski performance? When searching through SkiTalk, I ran across a few insightful contributions by @ScotsSkier which spoke favorably of Rossi/Dynastar moving the plate forward on their FIS models ca 2018. Other sources say it made the tail stiffer and less skier friendly and irresponsive.

Thanks.

Dyna Rossi.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are FIS skis so seriously stiff that they would take a layman for a ride?
On a 300 foot hill if you blow up you can just wait til you've slid to the bottom and dust yourself off.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes to any of those skis. they would all meet your objectives. Pick the ones you get the best deal on. And yes , for the non-fis, get the 172/173

James

Out There
Instructor
Are FIS skis so seriously stiff that they would take a layman for a ride? Or am I overthinking this?
No, unless you get a one that is, but you won’t have access to that. It’s also personal preference. I know skiers who like a stiff slalom and weigh 30lbs less than you.
So, no.
You might want to consider the 157/8cm size. Plenty of people your size ski that on hills nearly 10x your hill’s vertical.
Personally, I’d prob go for the 157/8cm size. Unless you travel a lot.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are FIS skis so seriously stiff that they would take a layman for a ride? Or am I overthinking this?

- Speaking of non-FIS SL – can I go with 167/168 cm, or would 173 be a better length for my purpose?
- Is DynaRossi R22 plate an improved incarnation of R21, or just a “marketing” upgrade?

You are 6'1", 190 # - no they will not be too stiff,

For what you want to achieve and where you ski the FIS ski is a much better option. If you really must - misguidedly ! - go for the non-FIS, stick with the 167/168 . going longer you will just start doing more GSish turns and not getting any real benefit, especially on a small hill. Dont waste your time with the Hero ST....

The R22 plate is a material improvement over the R21 on the GS ski. On the slalom ski it is less noticeable, The 18 ski still had the R21 with the plate moved forward with a slightly narrower tip (on the 165 only, the 157 stayed as before) . In the Rossi version you can tell the 18 ski with the all orange graphics by the orange rather than black tip protector. the newer graphics on the 19 and 20 skis have the same shape. I found this made it much more responsive and willing to get back into the fall line than the 17 model. All my Rossi athletes found a similar experience. Interestingly Augment also made s similar change on the 20 FIS slalom which also made (in my experience) a similar difference in behavior. I want a slalom ski to change direction quickly and get back into the fall line rather than coming across the hill too much. Not that the previous Augment or Rossi were particularly prone to coming across the hill too much - unlike say the Volkl FIS slalom - but the narrower tip/forward plate made them even more effective.

While James is correct in that you could probably get away with a 157/158 FIS I would steer you away from that because , particularly if you are trying to refine technique, fore/aft balance becomes less forgiving on the smaller ski. i have gone back and forth between 158/165 over the years and at my advancing age I should possibly be on the smaller ski BUT I find that the 165 gives me that little extra tail when i get thrown back - as there is always potential to happen in a slalom course! - and the little extra tail on the 165 reduces the chances of "wheelies" for me

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have the Dynastar SL Master Speed (with the Konect binding). I have the 173 (5'11" and 70kg) - you'd definitely want the 173 and not the 168.

It's a fun ski and likely highly suited for your application.

(The version with the R22 plate binding is the same ski, different binding package. Fraction heavier.)

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Since the OP is just free skiing, I'm not sure about ScotsSkier's advice. I think the 157/158 is super turny and may be better on a crowded 300 ft hill. Caviat is I'm 170lbs and have never skied a hill like that.

Whatever you end up buying, plan to keep this pair sharp, it makes a huge difference in performance.

Last edited:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
VladSki--get the commercially available 165 Rossi or Dynastar FIS SL (same ski w/different graphics). I am similar in size and age to you. Based on Scotskier's recommendation, I went with that ski 2 years ago--they ski great on groomers outside gates and are lots of fun!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
[I just think we should have video of you being ejected. Not for any constructive reason whatsoever. Just because it would be fun.]

resovia

Booting up
Skier
Finally thread I can contribute. My first post.:doh:

Don't hesitate regarding FIS skis. I am similar age and weight as you and ski FIS skis for last 5 seasons. I started with Dynastar FIS skis and updated last season to Fischer FIS SL. Nothing wrong with Dynastar, fantastic skis, but I got Fischer skis for the price I couldn't refuse and found buyer for dynastars in no time. Person who bought them said "the best skis for hard snow".

It might take couple of days to adjust, they turn when you just think about turning and will require good balance, but I also find them very universal not forcing to just one style of skiing. I skied them in 20 + inches of fresh in Utah and recently took fischers to Breckenridge for a week. We got 10 inches one day and I didn't feel like renting anything wider.
Soft spring snow is not for FIS skis. FIS skis are heavy something to consider.

I also ski:
Head Titans 177, to me these ski very similar to FIS skis, but even more universal.
Volkl Mantra 194 or Kendo 188 depends on conditions.

RunSki

Booting up
Skier
On a 300 vertical foot hill, I might suggest a cheater slalom. I have the Head Rebels i.SL and it's a blast. Looks like the new version is called Rebels e-SL, but there are other similar options of varying stiffness. Mine is a 165 cm with 11.5 m radius. I don't see a reason why you'd want to go any longer in radius or length than you would need to for the purpose you described.

TS
VladSki

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
The R22 plate is a material improvement over the R21 on the GS ski. On the slalom ski it is less noticeable, The 18 ski still had the R21 with the plate moved forward with a slightly narrower tip (on the 165 only, the 157 stayed as before) . In the Rossi version you can tell the 18 ski with the all orange graphics by the orange rather than black tip protector. the newer graphics on the 19 and 20 skis have the same shape. I found this made it much more responsive and willing to get back into the fall line than the 17 model. All my Rossi athletes found a similar experience. Interestingly Augment also made s similar change on the 20 FIS slalom which also made (in my experience) a similar difference in behavior. I want a slalom ski to change direction quickly and get back into the fall line rather than coming across the hill too much. Not that the previous Augment or Rossi were particularly prone to coming across the hill too much - unlike say the Völkl FIS slalom - but the narrower tip/forward plate made them even more effective.

Thanks a lot ScotsSkier!
Did you mean that the 18 Dynastar FIS SL would be a more responsive ski than the 20 Rossi Hero Athlete, which has a more rearward plate position since 2019-20?
I heard from a Rossi fan that the plate was brought back 1.5-2 cm vs 19 Hero Athlete (if you blow up the picture in my OP, the difference in 18 Dyna vs 20 Rossi binding placement becomes noticeable).

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks a lot ScotsSkier!
Did you mean that the 18 Dynastar FIS SL would be a more responsive ski than the 20 Rossi Hero Athlete, which has a more rearward plate position since 2019-20?
I heard from a Rossi fan that the plate was brought back 1.5-2 cm vs 19 Hero Athlete (if you blow up the picture in my OP, the difference in 18 Dyna vs 20 Rossi binding placement becomes noticeable).

Vlad,

I am not sure that is the case. Unfortunately I was not able to get on the 20 Rossi. I would be surprised uf the plate was moved back unless there were other shape changes at the same time. I would not put too much faith in interpreting that from a picture - that is a bit like assuming a WC racer was using the skis they show on the podium ogsmile I will need to look at some of my athletes skis to check

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn't go up from 165. 13m is small but will still make a decent sized turn. You don't have to get maximum edge angle every turn. If you are working on carving, you could even get by with the next size down.

TS
VladSki

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Well, thank you all!

Based on the feedback, the choice has been narrowed down to 2018 Dynastar FIS SL and 2020 Rossi Athlete.

See you all soon in the "brag about the gear purchase" thread :cool:

Sponsor

Staff online