• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dynastar M-Free 118 vs QST Blank

elerre97

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey! I currently have two deals at similar prices including the Dynastar M-Free 118 in 189cm and the QST Blank in the 194cm size (only this size).

I'm looking to complete my quiver with a powder ski which I'll basically use any day where 4+ inches have fallen. I'm an expert, strong, hard-charging directional skier. Although I like to go fast, I only ski inbounds meaning that a lot of times wide-open bowls are tracked out after the second run so I'd like to have the possibility of skiing through trees and tight chutes with ease.

I'm 5'8 and around 200 pounds.

Any tips on which to pick?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't skied the M-Free 118 but have skied the 108 and also the Blank. Charging hard, the Dynstar has a but more power but at 118 you will lose some versatility... how many times do you get to ski enough snow for a 118? The Blank has a shorter radius and will be a tad more playful, bit that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

TS
E

elerre97

Skier
I mostly ski the I-70 corridor in Colorado, so suppose not enough deep days? Would you recommend going for either the QST or something else in the 108-112 range? I'm just afraid that the 194 Blanks might be a bit long for me hence hard to turn at slow speeds although I skied the 191 Enforcer 110 (I suppose a demanding ski?) and enjoyed them.

My quiver would consist on this ski and a Vantage 97ti as a daily driver.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I mostly ski the I-70 corridor in Colorado, so suppose not enough deep days? Would you recommend going for either the QST or something else in the 108-112 range? I'm just afraid that the 194 Blanks might be a bit long for me hence hard to turn at slow speeds although I skied the 191 Enforcer 110 (I suppose a demanding ski?) and enjoyed them.

My quiver would consist on this ski and a Vantage 97ti as a daily driver.
If you want a charger in that range Liberty Evolv 110 and Volkl Katana are two that like to charge and neither you have to to real long because they don't have a lot of tail that never touches the snow.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree with @Philpug with the tight turning radius on the Blank and prefer the 192cm MFree 108 over the 118 for increased versatility. The 192cm is loose when in soft snow but still can charge a groomer and not demanding.
A 190cm Wildcat 118mm or 188cm Rustler 11 would be great powder picks that would work for your use or go to the narrower 190cm Wildcat 108 if you wanted more use from it as it’s a blast on any soft snow.

191cm Enforcer 110 is a safe bet as you’ve already tried it and depending on when you tried it, it has been updated as has the wider 191cm Enforcer 115.

TS
E

elerre97

Skier
If you want a charger in that range Liberty Evolv 110 and Volkl Katana are two that like to charge and neither you have to to real long because they don't have a lot of tail that never touches the snow.

@Philpug Both options seem very interested, however I can't find a decent review on the Evolvs. I suppose they are a go fast, charge hard ski but how about flotation and maneuverability at slow speeds? Have you tried any of those? As it will be my only powder ski, versatility is a must.

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I suppose they are a go fast, charge hard ski but how about flotation and maneuverability at slow speeds? Have you tried any of those? As it will be my only powder ski, versatility is a must.
The like momentum. Thats where the Enforcer 110 rocks. If price is no object, Augment 108

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You have tried the 110 Enforcers, and liked them. So you already know if that is a good powder/crud/soft snow ski for you or not, and you know something about its strengths and weaknesses. Yet you have been looking elsewhere, so you must have a sense of what you like about that ski and don't like as much. This may still be the best choice for you - you decide - but aside from that:

Of the skis you and others have mentioned, I'd recommend the M Free 118s in 189. Especially if you want a great powder/crud ski (with float) that is versatile in most other conditions, especially in the softer snow Rockies.

Specifically, I skied it back to back with the longest M Free 108s in 5"-6" of powder then crud at Winter Park in mid-season. The 118 busted crud better, turned on a dime in both powder and crud much better, more forcefully and easily, to me, and it also has a very good, playful float. Good at both slow and fast speeds. It tracks really well in powder/crud as if it is carving there. And it carves well for a soft snow ski also.

The M Free 108, almost like the Blank I'm told, has very little float, but it turns almost as well as the 118, and does crud - but not as well as the 118. And for me back to back, the 118 had noticeably better maneuverability, which surprised me. (To me the one negative to both Dynastars is that they feel a bit odd to me, like the feel of a bit lighter skis, not sure just what material, even though they are both otherwise damp and stable).

The 118 is a good enough all around fat ski for a number of very good skiers to use as a daily driver. I've met a few elite skiers who use it that way, or at least it comes out when there's more than an inch or two.

The Blank I have not yet skied, but have talked to several people who have and like the 194 best for that ski, who work in the shop I spend time in, friends there I trust. The Blank is a ski they like, a few will own. High praise. But it is a ski that cuts through the snow/crud, rather than have much float or playfulness, not as much float fun, seems like. And I'd enjoy even the crud ride on the 118 better, since I've owned a number of skis that crud bust in the way the Blank apparently does, that to me tend to waste powder somewhat, even in half foot amounts.

P.S. The 118, like many great floating powder/crud fat skis, will make even smaller amounts of powder feel floaty and fun - as if the powder/crud was deeper - both fast and slow.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. I did demo the longest 194) and next longest (186) QST Blank, on an afternoon soft groomer day at Loveland (1-2", enough to build up some afternoon crud and unevenness). Very fun ski. The next longest was slightly too short, because of extended rocker, I think. The longest one was great, just right, very accessible and stable for that length. (I am c. 150 lbs/5'10".) That longest is different than the longest M Free 108 - less playful, more directional. It likes a direct on edge approach to the fall line, even if turning a lot, whereas the 108 and 118 M Free both can turn rounder turns more comfortably (as well as straighter ones), and are more playful even while being great carvers. All three skis have both more forward driving and more upright stance options in how they handle. I preferred, in order, the Dynastar M Free 118, the Solomon 108 Blank, and last the M Free 108. Only if I was having a one ski quiver would I maybe choose the M Free 108, as it is playful in addition to directional. All great skis, though. A choice of four to four and a half or five star skis.

Choosing between the longest Blank and longest M Free 118, to me they fall into different slots in a quiver: the 118 Free covers the full range of soft snow very well to excellently, and the deeper the better, relative to other skis - and is also great in soft moguls; while the Blank is, to me, better for maybe up to 6" or less of powder/crud, being very good in both powder and crud of that depth, probably close to tops, and to me is probably too much of a stiffer fall line charger to be great in soft bumps (but not so sure until I get it on a powder day). Deeper it would handle well, but I'd rather be on a ski with more float than it feels like the Stance has (though, again, I am not totally sure on this - I'd have to ski it in deeper powder/crud). So what I posted I'd heard about the Stance seems likely true.

Oh, and the Stance, to me, has a very good overall feel, no problems there, compared to the slightly odd or buzzy (carbon) feel at the tips and tails of the two Dynastar M Free skis.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like the 118, its pivotyyyyyyy and you can ski our tight trees with it. It's friendly, it handles skied out, it floats.
I liked the 118 so much that I kept it, I sold my m-free 108.

M-free 118 made me a better skier for meh conditions than I am on other skis.

I spent my day of skiiing switching between mantra 102 and katana 108. The katana is wayyyyyyyyyy less chargy than the mantra 102, but easier to ski in tighter terrain.
the 191cm katana felt kinda... short? for my 6'3 which is weird.

I have not tried the 194 blank, but really looking forward to it.

I like open skied out stuff (on the right skis)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's how I felt about the M Free 118.
Man, to me you are right on, on all counts that I know of, and for the one I don't know, the Katana 108, thanks!
That's just what the Blank would be best for, in addition to some further crud situations, seems like. It's not a ski likely to give you the
impression that it's too wide, either.

Last edited:

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
@elerre97 You ought to touch base with @Ron . IMO he knows as much, if not more, about skiing powder and powder skis than anyone on this blog.
But beware - he will talk you into a pair (or two) of of the Moment Wildcats.

• Haha
Reactions: Ron

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wonder where @Ron got the idea of getting Moment Wildcats from…….:huh:

Wildcats always a great choice especially with them getting heavier and damper the last 2 years.

@anders_nor wasn’t as impressed with the Katana 108 or MFree pair as he has the 21 190cm CT 3.0 which is a VERY special ski. Will be more stable and a much better carver than the Blank.

Seeing great deals on the updated Enforcer 115(carbon chassis and True Tip the last few years) still as I saw the 21 for $488.88 CAN the other day. Much stiffer and longer radius than the 191cm Enforcer 110 making it very stable but still not too demanding.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Well truth be told, @jmeb had been poking me about Moments for the past few years but with my hips needing so many surgeries, I never pulled the trigger but yes, @GregK was very helpful. I appreciate all the great advice and suggestions.

So, yeah, I vote for 190 Moment Wildcats or even a Moment Commander. On3p Jeffrey or woodsman. And, I would also look at. Sali Stance 102 (the 96 is plenty for a 200# skier, just as @Drahtguy Kevin can attest to, but I think the OP wants wide). . Personally, I would vote for 2 skis. One 100-105+/- that is a charger. (I would include the Stance 96) , you dont need significant float in anything up to 6", and then a dedicated powder ski. there's enough where the narrower ski would be beneficial, like steeps and tracked groomers and such where the 110+ wide ski doesnt add anything. I agree on the Faction CT 3.0

Last edited:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm just afraid that the 194 Blanks might be a bit long for me hence hard to turn at slow speeds although I skied the 191 Enforcer 110 (I suppose a demanding ski?) and enjoyed them.

The Enforcer 110 is not a really demanding ski.

Considering your height and weight the Rustler 11 in a 188 sounds like a good match, they can charge hard but still maneuverable in tight spots, good flotation and can hold an edge really well for a 112 underfoot. Length is 186.5 straight pull. Great all around ski for the backside of the mountain.

Bogdan_CH

Skier
Hi guys sorry to break in but looking to get a pair of Blanks and need some advices choosing length. In 6 foot and thinking on getting the 186 and mount them with Shifts for light touring so the extra weight of 200 grams / ski of the 194 would be noticeable. As well, I've Never had skis above 190 and wondering if the extra length would take out they ease of maneuverability the Blank is claimed to have. Thanks

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think I’d rather “light tour” on a Bent Chetler 120, 22 CT 3.0, K2 Reckoner 112 or 122, Line Outline, 188cm Rustler 11, Moment Wildcat Tour, ON3P Billy Goat 50/50 or Tour build etc.
The Reckoner 112 is very similar shape and flex but lighter build and longer turn radius vs the Blank.

The designs of all these skis makes them pretty easy to maneuver even in the longer lengths but less weight for going uphill than a Blank.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a 120 chetler with shifts, I use it for tight trees & pow as well, amazing slowski and I like it, eventhough its pretty far from my chargeing habits, but I dial it back for tight woods.

I have reckoner 112 and 122... I just remember that now :D wonder where I put thoose.

Bogdan_CH

Skier
Think I’d rather “light tour” on a Bent Chetler 120, 22 CT 3.0, K2 Reckoner 112 or 122, Line Outline, 188cm Rustler 11, Moment Wildcat Tour, ON3P Billy Goat 50/50 or Tour build etc.
The Reckoner 112 is very similar shape and flex but lighter build and longer turn radius vs the Blank.

The designs of all these skis makes them pretty easy to maneuver even in the longer lengths but less weight for going uphill than a Blank.

Thanks Greg for the suggestions but I've chosen Blanks as I have a super deal on them, especially on the 186. From the specs there are quite a few things that I like from them like , short radius so if I end up on the slops it won't be a mehh day, they float quite well and when things get chopped down they are not noddles. I still want to use them in the trees and thats why 186 sounds more appealing. Also, not sure how much I gain by going 194 if it worth the extra 400 grams.

As for tourability, I've been doing point A to point B with Moment Bibbys Pro 2014 with Guardian bindings and at over 15 lbs they I could still get the job done but not in the most pleasing way. Another skis that I've looked into were the 188 Rustlers 11 . I've had experienced the BChetlers 120 in Hokkaido, and over there , they were a dream, but noticed the super flex in the tips and tails. In deep pow that wasn't a big downside but I'm a frontside guy, so super rockered soft tails like this and the Outline have are amazing skis but too specific. As well, my quived consists of a pair of Sick Days 104 with Shifts and they do everything well, but for deeper days, I feel the need for something a tad more wide underfoot.

Sponsor