• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dynastar M-Free 118 vs QST Blank

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sounds like the 186cm would be a better choice if you ski more tight trees and want to keep the weight down. Flex of the Blank is very similar to the Bent Chet 120, so you will have more weight in the Blank but similar soft tip/tails.
Would vastly prefer a lighter build 22 CT 3.0 on a groomer or a Rustler 11 if you wanted something a bit more surfy. If you’re used to the Bibby matched with heavy bindings, why not a regular Wildcat with shifts? Even the Heaviest 22 versions of the Wildcat will still feel lighter than the old Bibbys and I’m sure you could find deals on last years 190cm models somewhere. Easy in trees and haul on soft groomers.

edit-quick check on eBay and there was a set of blemished new 20 190cm Wildcats for cheap and there’s a mix of new and lightly used regular and tour versions on KSL.com for deals too.

Last edited:

Bogdan_CH

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Wildcats are top on my list But being in Europe, getting them here would end up super expensive, like 4 times the Blanks so not sure if this worth paying that much for what I gain.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Wildcats are top on my list But being in Europe, getting them here would end up super expensive, like 4 times the Blanks so not sure if this worth paying that much for what I gain.
Sorry, didn’t know you were in Europe. 22 CT 3.0 by miles then! The 190cm is about 100-150gr lighter than the 186cm Blank but much more powerful ski that’s still forgiving underfoot off trail.
Could maybe even find a 21 CT 3.0 if you’re willing to have a bit more weight in the ski for touring. Even the heavier 21 190cm CT 3.0 is less than 100gr heavier than the 186cm Blank but in another world performance wise.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied both the 186 Blank and the 194. To me, they ski shorter than their length. The 186 was noticeably too short for top stability in crud and on soft groomers. I was surprised. The 194 felt like a 188 or less, just about right, very dialed in, to ski the fall line on edge.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Blister review of the Blank discusses use in all conditions and I remember them say it’s not as easy in tight spots as the lighter Reckoner 112 or Deathwish which I would have assumed.

I think it’s pretty telling the amount of “great deals” being offered on a 2022 ski that most other brand’s similar models are short on stock because of high demand.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But can the 194 still handle tight tree skying?
To me the Blank is a lights out but forgiving charger, not a tree or soft mogul ski; not demanding but holds you stabily to the task at hand, on edge. It wants a certain more direct on edge turn shape, to me, and I did not experience that it was especially oriented towards pivoting or quick tree turns, probably in either length. Especially compared to a ski with really playful qualities like the Dynastar M Free 118, at even the longest length.

I'd get the Blank for its easier, safer, on edge charge, not a "wake up" precise or "stay on top of it" or "gotta watch out" ski, like, say, the otherwise good Moment Commander which might conceivably get me in trouble at speed.

I'd get the 118 M Free for its incredible powder/crud/soft groomer versatility, plus great float, including in soft bumps and trees. And its charge also. Dang, the things can turn on a dime, any speed, you pick the turn shape, but stable through crud and at speed too (just a bit odd now and then with its bit of a buzz/vibration thing tips).

Bogdan_CH

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sorry, didn’t know you were in Europe. 22 CT 3.0 by miles then! The 190cm is about 100-150gr lighter than the 186cm Blank but much more powerful ski that’s still forgiving underfoot off trail.
Could maybe even find a 21 CT 3.0 if you’re willing to have a bit more weight in the ski for touring. Even the heavier 21 190cm CT 3.0 is less than 100gr heavier than the 186cm Blank but in another world performance wise.

Hi Greg,

Found a good deal on the 2021 ( last year) 3.0 CT. Besides the heavier wood, is there a difference between them? Form wise they are the same but inside?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi Greg,

Found a good deal on the 2021 ( last year) 3.0 CT. Besides the heavier wood, is there a difference between them? Form wise they are the same but inside?
Exact same shape still as the 20 and 22 versions but instead of a poplar core mixed with really light weight wood, it’s a full poplar core with a bit stiffer tips/tails. Metal binding retention plate underfoot that isn’t there in the new 22 as they went to a lighter carbon layer. The 21 were also made in the Fisher plant so great build quality and the factory tunes are usually very good.

Stiffer tip/tails for charging but the 21 CT skis don’t go even stiffer underfoot like most skis so they are more forgiving for how well they charge. Very light swing weight and you only notice their weight as they don’t get knocked around in crud like a lighter ski does.

The CT mounting point line is more forward than the Wildcat mount and should be only used if you’re more of a freestyle skier. Mount the 190cm back 1.5cm for your use(puts you about -0.5cm of the Bibby) so they will float well but still pivot easily in the trees. That’s where I have mine mounted and it’s perfect.
If you were skiing the shorter length, then I’d go back the full -3cm back to the traditional mark.

The CT 3.0 is more versatile than the Bibby or Wildcat but similar in stability and feel. Amazing on soft groomers and more fun in bumps than it should be. An amazing ski!!

Heard from my Whistler friend again yesterday who was raving about his pair of CT 3.0 in all the snow they have had lately. Hasn’t used his Rustler 10 skis since he got them and his wife hasn’t used her Kore 97 since getting a pair of Agent 3.0.

Last edited: