• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dynastar M Free 99 vs Rossingol Black Ops Holyshred

Darren Lynch

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking for wider ski to better handle soft snow and variable conditions as well as be a whole lot of fun to ski. I am an advanced level East Coast skiier, hight 5'10', weight 170; sometimes ski fast, sometimes look for fun snow on side of trails. Current ski is Libert Origin 90 at 179 cm. I have identified these two, and perhaps Salomon QST 98 and Black Crows Camox but open to other suggestions as well.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both of these skis are sooo much fun. It could come down to the graphics ...or which one you get a better deal on. The 182 Rossi might be slightly better for your weight over the 185 Dynastar but really splitting hairs.

TS
D

Darren Lynch

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have heard M Free 99 skis short, but enough to jump from 179 to 185 cm?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 185cm MFree 99 measures only 181.5cm with deep rocker so for sure go that length. The MFree 99 has similar weight and flex to the HolyShred but the MFree has more rocker with larger tip splay tip/tail as well as more taper. Will be more surfy and loose vs the HolyShred.
HolyShred a bit better carver but it’s tips aren’t as good going over afternoon crud or fresh snow.

QST 98 is super tapered and lots of rocker so very soft snow biased. Camox is a decent ski but very light so not as damp or as solid feeling as the others above.

21 Faction CT 2.0 would be a similar to the Holy Shred but with more weight to them, better designed tips for passing over crud and a slightly more forgiving flex. Still available on EBay at $499.99 US.

Have seen both the MFree 99 and HolyShred at $525 CAN/$420 US for the 22 versions.

Sponsor

Staff online