• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dynastar WC GS FIS 193 - Wow, what a fun ski

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Finally spent a day on the new (2018 model) Dynastar WC GS FIS that I picked up from Corbetts. Just amazing how stable these skis are at high speeds...you feel the whole ski tip to tail engaged at high edge angles. I used to ski 34M freeride boards on a daily basis and I've got to say how nice it was going back to a 30M radius ski. Such a fun ride, stability yet enough energy turn to turn for my 200 lb+ (when geared up).

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love my 188cm/30m Rossi skis, which I think is the same ski with different graphics. They require effort and proper technique, but they do reward that! I try to maneuver mine around gates on occasion and the 188cm is all I can handle. :)

TS
CO Freeskier

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Been on an 191cm/21M Nordica Doberman WC GS for some time absolutely loved the ski and VIST plates but I went through two pairs of Marker Comp 14s (heel cup plastic cracks) that I had to warranty. I finally had had it with the Markers and switched for safety sake. Turns out the bigger radius is easier on the back so far and I've been using Looks on all my freeride skis for decades and never had a problem.

Would be fun to try to run gates...never been in a course before.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
On the chair today with an acquaintance that had new Dynastar GS boards. Nice looking planks, Blue shovel and a broad tip. He was buzzing around on a storm day.

James

Out There
Instructor
Been on an 191cm/21M Nordica Doberman WC GS for some time absolutely loved the ski and VIST plates but I went through two pairs of Marker Comp 14s (heel cup plastic cracks) that I had to warranty. I finally had had it with the Markers and switched for safety sake. Turns out the bigger radius is easier on the back so far and I've been using Looks on all my freeride skis for decades and never had a problem.

Would be fun to try to run gates...never been in a course before.
Marker Comp 14’s are not appropriate for an adult race ski. I’m surprised the shop didn’t sell you the 16’s which are metal there.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I too have been on FIS GS and SL skis mostly this season (thanks to @ScotsSkier, in large part). So much so that I've grown used to the FIS GS 188/30s to the point where they are like natural daily drivers, back to again being what I'm used to.

I'd added last season, a pair of Dynastar Masters Speed GS 185/23s, I think a masters GS ski, but non-FIS. They too are wonderful, but easier than the 188/30s.

I've also been wondering about the Men's FIS GS skis: the 193/30s. I'd heard that they have a rebound that can be hard on one's spine. Dunno.

But I've started wondering how this ski (193/30) would be for my more leisurely, recreational purposes (no gates except very informally, off the clock).
Does anybody use the men's longer FIS GS skis recreationally? If so, is there a danger to them, of too much rebound for a recreational skier?
(Note: at times I like very stout charger skis, burly enough to be high speed stable and for rail riding, rather than a lot of flexing or medium turning.)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I too have been on FIS GS and SL skis mostly this season (thanks to @ScotsSkier, in large part). So much so that I've grown used to the FIS GS 188/30s to the point where they are like natural daily drivers, back to again being what I'm used to.

I'd added last season, a pair of Dynastar Masters Speed GS 185/23s, I think a masters GS ski, but non-FIS. They too are wonderful, but easier than the 188/30s.

I've also been wondering about the Men's FIS GS skis: the 193/30s. I'd heard that they have a rebound that can be hard on one's spine. Dunno.

But I've started wondering how this ski (193/30) would be for my more leisurely, recreational purposes (no gates except very informally, off the clock).
Does anybody use the men's longer FIS GS skis recreationally? If so, is there a danger to them, of too much rebound for a recreational skier?
(Note: at times I like very stout charger skis, burly enough to be high speed stable and for rail riding, rather than a lot of flexing or medium turning.)

The mens FIS ski is quite a bit more ski than the 188/30 FIS. Given that you are not running gates though would still work for what you are suggesting though, just that you are more likely to find yourself doing Super G size turns and take quite a bit more work than the 188/30 for everyday use. I wouldn't worry about too much rebound, if you can load them up enough to get that much rebound you will be able to harness it. Issue is more about being able to bend the ski enough.

Another option to consider for this is to find a pair of the previous 195/35 mens GS skis. The later versions had a relatively soft tip that you can still bend into a turn, they can be great fun for free skiing and you can pick them up very cheaply (even free in many cases!) basically just paying for the binding. A good way to get ski that can be free skied almost like a SG ski.
Alternatively if you want to try a 193/30 Ski essentials have a great deal at the moment on a 2019 Völkl GS @ $225 with the piston plates

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I really enjoyed the Rossi/Dynastar 185/27m Junior & Masters oriented GS ski this year. Towards the end of this season I ended up with a pair of softer flexing Rossi/Dynastar mens's FIS 193/30m GS skis based on the recommendation of a recent collegiate racer--easily initiating turns, having tremendous edge grip, and offering a lively feel with great rebound energy, and no appreciable speed limit. Surprisingly, these softer flexing 193/30's skied better for me than the Rossi/Dynaster women's FIS GS 188/30m. Go figure.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January