• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Early season considerations

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a nice (two part) video discussing early season dangers and strategies.
He doesn’t delve into a avalanche risk, but covers many other aspects.
Not really much new iformaniton fr most people I would think, but a great ‘mental warmup’ for the coming season.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depending on your location and the state of the vegetation underneath the snow, the avalanche risk can be some of the lowest you will find all season. If there are smooth rock slabs that is a great sliding surface, but talus slopes, most lower shrubs, slide alder and other taller plants provide quite a bit of terrain anchoring until they get buried sufficiently, but then it is not early season. Those early season trips can be great, but the dangers are real. I have a buddy who tore his MCL going into a creek and I came within inches of a TBI when I crashed (without a helmet) right next to a rock sticking out of the thin snow pack.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski every October, some years I get the whole month, other years it's just Halloween. I have a good collection of grassy slopes that are great for early season turns.

There are a number significant risks though. We lost a local skier last October when he caught a rock during a whiteout.