• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Easiest to use side edge guide for diamond stone

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Some of us old ladies don't have much grip force. I can't even hand jars to my husband, his hands are worse than mine. Thank goodness for
shopping
SmartSelect_20211123-171028_Edge.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Overkill! :rolleyes: Why do you think you need so much clamping force? Your thumb directly over the edge is the where the most force is and holds the file just fine In fact some tuners use NO Clamp! And how lazy are we getting when undoing a spring clamp is problematic? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The clamping force is to ensure that the angle is perfectly maintained between the file and the guide. Look, do want you want. I could care less if you don't want to change your ways. The post was for those with a more open mind to a method that they may find works better. :micdrop:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The clamping force is to ensure that the angle is perfectly maintained between the file and the guide. Look, do want you want. I could care less if you don't want to change your ways. The post was for those with a more open mind to a method that they may find works better. :micdrop:
Hilarious! :doh:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pony clamps are not just for wood working. This one is very tight grip.

View attachment 149218
Truth be told you should angle the stone on the guide! And not my photo! Although, I put the clamp higher on the file or stone so plenty of room for my thumb!

Attachments

• 3201_2__71595.1557787017.jpg
    3201_2__71595.1557787017.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 7

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a lot of clamp options, and quite a few mentioned here, in fact here is another, the Swix TA20.
swix-ta20-file-fix-nylon.jpg

Use the clamp that feels comfortable for you and that you have the most confidence in and don't dismiss someone elses technique but because it is not the way you do it.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
These threads always go the same way. Someone asks "easiest" and two pages in it's all about pricey vises and SVST tools. Easiest is the Ski Visions adjustable tool that does the base and side at the same time, and it doesn't leave much risk of doing any damage. It's the perfect tool if your skill level is "I have to ask the innernets what to do."

dm

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for the Beast. I've used them all. No brainer.

The Mrs is quite happy with her current bike / ski Sherpa and sees no reason to alter the arrangement. The Sherpa is content with beer in the fridge and a well prepared meal when the work is done. #winwin

Same. After 36 years, we've learned to "stay in our lanes" and there's nothing wrong with that. I can't sew and she can't do a tubeless mtb conversion.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
These threads always go the same way. Someone asks "easiest" and two pages in it's all about pricey vises and SVST tools. Easiest is the Ski Visions adjustable tool that does the base and side at the same time, and it doesn't leave much risk of doing any damage. It's the perfect tool if your skill level is "I have to ask the innernets what to do."

dm
Well free-handing it would be easiest, but accuracy counts, even if it's not stated.
A simple fixed steel angle guide is accurate and pretty easy to adjust; just grab the right one.
The purpose of the clamp is to hold the stone or file in place until you can get your thumb on it.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
If we go by easiest and cheapest (and actually what everyone in business use), then freehand. Diamonds and stones are used without guide and therefore also without clamps.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Beast side tool is perfect for your daughter
The beast is side edge tool is not good, IMHO, comparatively any way! And certainly isn't good for a beginner! I used to use all their stuff. Haven't used mine in years. The slot is not wide enough for a surgical or hard stone on the side edge guide. Fooling with the clamp is a pain in the ass, and it is time consuming to change angle plates, but worse of all, it sits too high on the ski and is very easy to roll the tool off the edge and totally pooch your edges up. I know the folks at Beast, my son raced against Eric Holmer many times at Mt. Bachelor and I have been in the shop and discussed tuning with Scott on multiple occasions. Great folks, nothing personal.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
So this is an interesting thread. Was getting ready to use the Toko discount to buy a clamp, fixed guides and diamond stones (from this thread here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/beginner-tuning.24897/)

And now I see a lot of people recommending the Edger Tuner World Cup or the Swix version if they had to do it all over again. Is the automatic tuner that much more consistent for somebody that is new / just trying to maintain edges in between 1 or 2x a season professional tunes?

not worried so much about the price but the best way to maintain my edges, starting from scratch (well outside of the ski vice).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And now I see a lot of people recommending the Edger Tuner World Cup or the Swix version if they had to do it all over again. Is the automatic tuner that much more consistent for somebody that is new / just trying to maintain edges in between 1 or 2x a season professional tunes?

IMO, learn to hand tune first. You will gain valuable understandings and experiences from hand tuning. It'll also develop feel in your (generic) hands for the work most lacked.

Without the experiences and understandings behind the process and method of the work required, I have found power tools will simply allowed one to screw things up in a faster and more efficient manner.

Last edited:

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMO, learn to hand tune first. You will gain valuable understandings and experiences from hand tuning. It'll also develop feel in your (generic) hands for the work most lacked.

Without the experiences and understandings behind the process and method of the work required, I have found power tools will simply allowed one to screw things up in a faster and more efficient manner.

I strongly suspect power tuners in the hands of the unlearned will quickly go through ski edges, and force the user to buy new skis long before the skis lose their flex.

So that was sort of my initial thought coming form regular power tools and car work as a hobby. But latest threads had brought up the power tool approach. Have no problem starting with the manual and adjusting later; just thought I’d ask before I purchase.

Sponsor

Staff online