• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East Coast Demo Days 2022/2023

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mod note: thread started last season, update to include the 2022-2023 season

Does anybody have any info on upcoming Demo days? I'm looking for anywhere on the east coast - will drive long distance to test skis. It seems like in the days before resort consolidation they were pretty common, but not anymore.

How's a guy supposed to figure out what his next skis are going to be if he can't test drive anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think covid deferred lots of demo days. Some mountains like Mount Snow, Bromley and Killington have daily anytime demo fleets so that's an option too.

Last edited:

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed, I think it has more to do with covid than resort consolidation. I did find this for Parlor, but a lot of TBDs in there:

If you're OK with not having them at the mountain, some shops do demos. I know Sport Thoma does.

TS
ksampson3

ksampson3

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I checked random resorts' websites and didn't come up with much. The only things that I found listed were SWRA Industry Demo days. I think one was at Snowshoe and one was at Stratton. However, I’m pretty sure that you have to work in the “industry” to participate in those.

TS
ksampson3

ksampson3

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m in DC. That would be a hell of a distance to test drive some skis. I probably wouldn’t drive that far for free money- depending on the amount.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anybody have any info on upcoming Demo days? I'm looking for anywhere on the east coast - will drive long distance to test skis. It seems like in the days before resort consolidation they were pretty common, but not anymore.

How's a guy supposed to figure out what his next skis are going to be if he can't test drive anything?
Historically most of the free on the hill demo days in New England have been before Christmas. So your question is coming a little late. Or it would be if this were a normal season.

If you're OK with not having them at the mountain, some shops do demos. I know Sport Thoma does.
Yes but you have to pay for those. And go back to the shop to swap. And submit to an interview about your experience and to real or perceived pressure to buy. In short, a good option if you really like the shop, are planning to buy skis this month, and have already narrowed your choices down to two or three skis at most.

I suspect the OP is thinking about one of those affairs where you just show up and try a bazillion skis in one day.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
@ksampson3 - you missed both at Sunday River. They had their regular demo a couple weeks after Thanksgiving, and then an Indie Demo day last weekend on Jan 8th.

As noted above, Sporthoma is hosting at Ragged Mountain next weekend, Jan 23rd.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Historically most of the free on the hill demo days in New England have been before Christmas. So your question is coming a little late. Or it would be if this were a normal season.

You're right - and historically, Mid-Atlantic areas have had late demo days that have allowed reps to bracket their seasons after incurring NE frostbite on their screwdriver hands. First week January is completely historical for Whitetail, 7S and Liberty, with Roundtop even doing 2nd week Feb. Historical in both senses of the word - not likely to be seen again as well as known from proper, confirmable records.

One of the NE exceptions I know about has, in prior seasons, been the Spring demo by Ken Jones - yes they used to have 2 - which is the one I was really asking about above.

I suspect the OP is thinking about one of those affairs where you just show up and try a bazillion skis in one day.

Exactly. AKA the one, only kind of affair where you can actually break out of your pre-established marketing box try something that you never would have otherwise. For good or bad or, occasionally, socks-blown-off inspiring.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They are having 1 today at Tremblant. It's -25C right now....ah, not going...

Hey, c'mon - when else can you do a proper hard-set ice AND chalky windbuff demo in one day?

(Seriously, days like that is when compliant but damp skis absolutely stand out as the game changers they are, being lifeless and dead on hero snow)

TS
ksampson3

ksampson3

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You're right - and historically, Mid-Atlantic areas have had late demo days that have allowed reps to bracket their seasons after incurring NE frostbite on their screwdriver hands. First week January is completely historical for Whitetail, 7S and Liberty, with Roundtop even doing 2nd week Feb. Historical in both senses of the word - not likely to be seen again as well as known from proper, confirmable records.
Yep. This. I'd hit Whitetail's or Roundtop's demo day every year. So many skis to try for free. The only down side was the usual, "Uh, that ski's out on the hill right now. How about this one?" - points to a 100+ underfoot width.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yep. This. I'd hit Whitetail's or Roundtop's demo day every year. So many skis to try for free. The only down side was the usual, "Uh, that ski's out on the hill right now. How about this one?" - points to a 100+ underfoot width.

Yeh, none of the stores historically associated with those have reached an agreement with VR.

Not sure what the specific problem is at Snowshoe or 7S, but I don't imagine the lack of incentive for shops to sponsor events is much different.

And - sidebar - Roundtop in February is likely to actually be *good* for 100mm waist skis. I actually did a NASTAR gold on a fat demo sk :D :D

#freezethaw #springconditionsallseason

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
From the Fey Bros - reckon @Wendy has seen this already:

The FreeHeeler's Demo Tour lineup:
Jan 23 Ragged Mtn, NH
Feb 4 Saddleback,Maine
Feb 5 Mt Abram, Maine
Feb 6 Sunday River, Maine
Feb 12 Magic Mountain,VT NorthEast Tele Fest Day 1
Feb 13 Magic Mountain, VT Day 2
Feb 25 Plattekill, NY 10th Annual Tele Fest
Feb 26 Bromley, VT Kare's Fest/Race
Feb 27 Bromley, VT Kare's Fest/Race
March 11 Mad RIver Glen, VT FreeHeel Frolic
March 12 Mad River Glen, VT FreeHeel Frolic
* More dates will be added!
Free Demos of SummitCone Tele Skis, Liberty, Elan, Atomic, Icelantic, Meidjo, 22 Designs, Bishop, Crispi, Scarpa, and Rottefella. Lessons/clinics will be available at almost every event. We have the largest traveling fleet on the planet...come get it!

Sponsor