• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East coast one ski quiver

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Take a look at RENOUN. 88's are great for all mountain east coast, and might be light enough for touring...

Of the skis people on this site generally like, this is one of the most sensible suggestions for this application. Personally I think I'd prefer the Renoun 98 as a one ski quiver without having skied either it or the 88 (or having ever skied in Quebec) because I don't think side cut is your friend in most off trail situations.

At risk of piling on and/or beating a dead horse, you'd have to pay me a fair amount of money to drag a slalom ski up hill. If I were skiing down a run with trees or other "technical" terrain and you told me I had a reasonable chance of encountering sun crust (which is very common in my experience though obviously depends on weather and terrain) you'd need to pay me much more than that to use the slalom ski down hill. While I'm sure some people can use slalom skis in trees and crust they're sort of the opposite of everything I'd look for to make crust and trees as skiable as possible.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Of the skis people on this site generally like, this is one of the most sensible suggestions for this application. Personally I think I'd prefer the Renoun 98 as a one ski quiver without having skied either it or the 88 (or having ever skied in Quebec) because I don't think side cut is your friend in most off trail situations.

At risk of piling on and/or beating a dead horse, you'd have to pay me a fair amount of money to drag a slalom ski up hill. If I were skiing down a run with trees or other "technical" terrain and you told me I had a reasonable chance of encountering sun crust (which is very common in my experience though obviously depends on weather and terrain) you'd need to pay me much more than that to use the slalom ski down hill. While I'm sure some people can use slalom skis in trees and crust they're sort of the opposite of everything I'd look for to make crust and trees as skiable as possible.
I’m of the same mindset and just don’t agree with popular opinion here on what is “best” east coast ski. My everyday VT ski has gotten narrower thanks to influence from this site but I value versatility and fun. “Yes” you can ski the whole mountain on your FIS racer and i have no doubt that many on here do it very well but not “fun” for me and type of terrain I favor. I’m still looking for “the ski” since moving back to the right coast and am holding out hope that there is more progression in the 80s waist width similar to what has been going on in the 100s.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m of the same mindset and just don’t agree with popular opinion here on what is “best” east coast ski. My everyday VT ski has gotten narrower thanks to influence from this site but I value versatility and fun. “Yes” you can ski the whole mountain on your FIS racer and i have no doubt that many on here do it very well but not “fun” for me and type of terrain I favor. I’m still looking for “the ski” since moving back to the right coast and am holding out hope that there is more progression in the 80s waist width similar to what has been going on in the 100s.
Yes. I've been skiing on an 81mm waist on the East Coast and even in Colorado this winter. I demo'd some ski's in mid 90's and the fun factor was more on those skis. I am looking at an 88mm or so waist ski to kind of be my all mountain everyday ski just because of the fun factor.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know about Quebec backcountry, but from my experience, backcountry skiing usually involves a lot of unseen hazards that are tough on skis. I've destroyed 2 pairs of K2 Waybacks bush-skiing in the Dacks. I would hate to do that to $800-900 skis unless you can get them for sale.

My daily driver here in NY is 72mm Head i-Magnum. My touring skis is 88mm Wayback. The touring setup I want is the Voile Objective BC.

TS
S

Saraz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yes. I've been skiing on an 81mm waist on the East Coast and even in Colorado this winter. I demo'd some ski's in mid 90's and the fun factor was more on those skis. I am looking at an 88mm or so waist ski to kind of be my all mountain everyday ski just because of the fun factor.
Alright, thanks a lot, I’m going to keep that in mind, I surely want that fun factor.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I don't know about Quebec backcountry, but from my experience, backcountry skiing usually involves a lot of unseen hazards that are tough on skis. I've destroyed 2 pairs of K2 Waybacks bush-skiing in the Dacks. I would hate to do that to $800-900 skis unless you can get them for sale.

My daily driver here in NY is 72mm Head i-Magnum. My touring skis is 88mm Wayback. The touring setup I want is the Voile Objective BC.
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I understand backcountry can be hard on skis

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
Thanks, really useful!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier

Thank you. I totally agree with you, I don’t see myself doing all of that with a slalom ski at all. As for the Renoun, thanks, certainly going to look at that, I don’t know them.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hadn’t thought of the Renoun but it looks like a pretty good ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
So do you have one set of boots with tech fittings?

Re the Shift. I have one and frankly dread having to reset it between alpine and tour boots. You think you have it then you don’t after a couple times putting boot in.
I’ve even had the shop do it and when I took it out after a couple runs I notice standing there the toe is moving up and down.
Why they haven’t redesigned that afd in nearly 5 years is beyond me. I’d give it an F, but I suppose it warrants a C-.

For that reason I’d consider the Marker Duke PT. However, the Duke’s toe piece comes off and you have to put it somewhere while you skin. So know that.

But, if you only have one boot, and manage to get the Shift afd set properly, then it should be fine.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

Re the Shift. I have one and frankly dread having to reset it between alpine and tour boots. You think you have it then you don’t after a couple times putting boot in.
I’ve even had the shop do it and when I took it out after a couple runs I notice standing there the toe is moving up and down.
Why they haven’t redesigned that afd in nearly 5 years is beyond me. I’d give it an F, but I suppose it warrants a C-.

For that reason I’d consider the Marker Duke PT. However, the Duke’s toe piece comes off and you have to put it somewhere while you skin. So know that.

But, if you only have one boot, and manage to get the Shift afd set properly, then it should be fine.
I use a 60/40 boot for AT (Lange XT Free 120, formerly the 110). The 120 has a DIN sole, so even if I swap over my Alpine boots to my AT ones, the set up is the same, including BSL.

I’m clearly not doing long multi day tours!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier

Thank you for your response. Yes, I only have one set of boot with tech fittings that I use as my everyday boot. I won’t have the problem of switching boots. As for the marker, yeah I’ve looked at it, I’m aware for the toe piece, if I take this one I’ll put it in my backpack. Also, I’ll certainly let a professional set the binding for me.

James

Out There
Instructor
I use a 60/40 boot for AT (Lange XT Free 120, formerly the 110). The 120 has a DIN sole, so even if I swap over my Alpine boots to my AT ones, the set up is the same, including BSL.

I’m clearly not doing long multi day tours!
Currently have the DIN soles installed on my tour boots, Technica Zero G Guide. I’ve left them on and now want to go back to the rubber tour soles. This I dread.
Just because a shop does it doesn’t mean it’s actually right. It’s an incredibly annoying and fiddly system. Sometimes reinventing the wheel means they fall off the car.

Sponsor