• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East coast one ski quiver

TS
S

Saraz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think RS left and right edges concern are overblown. From everything I see and read, it’s not like there are no edges on the inside. I toured a lot in the Dacks. My wife snowboards, so my friend cut her old board and that DIY split board has no inside edges. She toured the Dacks with us all over. Honestly, if you damage your edges bad enough, you probably in survival mode, equipment be damn. I broke my dynafit binding while crossing a creek below Marcy Dam, i used duck tape and ski strap and hobble the rest of the way 3-4 miles out.
Thanks, really useful informations. That must be quite an experience! I think the skis would be great for me.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think RS left and right edges concern are overblown. From everything I see and read, it’s not like there are no edges on the inside. I toured a lot in the Dacks. My wife snowboards, so my friend cut her old board and that DIY split board has no inside edges. She toured the Dacks with us all over. Honestly, if you damage your edges bad enough, you probably in survival mode, equipment be damn. I broke my dynafit binding while crossing a creek below Marcy Dam, i used duck tape and ski strap and hobble the rest of the way 3-4 miles out.
I agree. I have Amphibio 88 Xti that leans to the stiff wide carver side of the all mtn spectrum, while the RS is more towards freeride, although I have not skied them (too light for my size). I have played with switching the feet and find the tips a little vague, but can't imagine that would be as much of an issue with the RS in the backcountry.

+1 on the Ranger 94 FR. I have the 115 for a powder ski and would be leaning towards an 102 FR or 99 Ti for all mtn if I skied out west.

I used to have work projects with a fellow up in Kingston, ON. He had a ski cabin up north, don't recall where, but I always wanted to go up and ski with him. He made it sound so "interesting"! :duck:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, I know it’s quite hard to have a one ski quiver, especially in my situation, but I’m gonna make something work. Thanks a lot!

With reference to the I Titan, I do not believe it to be an all mountain ski for most skiers. It's 80-81 under foot does not yield performance that matches other skis in that width. It rips on ice and firm plus groomers, but it is not a good choice for woods skiing. It's weak in powder, terrain and bumps.

I personally would say that an East Coast ski should be good on firm, responsive, supple, reasonably good in powder and woods. It needs to reward good turns and it should rip. How wide one chooses is a personal choice. I seem to max out at 94 - that's just me.

Stormrider 88

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I agree. I have Amphibio 88 Xti that leans to the stiff wide carver side of the all mtn spectrum, while the RS is more towards freeride, although I have not skied them (too light for my size). I have played with switching the feet and find the tips a little vague, but can't imagine that would be as much of an issue with the RS in the backcountry.

+1 on the Ranger 94 FR. I have the 115 for a powder ski and would be leaning towards an 102 FR or 99 Ti for all mtn if I skied out west.

I used to have work projects with a fellow up in Kingston, ON. He had a ski cabin up north, don't recall where, but I always wanted to go up and ski with him. He made it sound so "interesting"! :duck:
Perfect! Thanks a lot for the information. It’s good to know and really useful. Also, thanks for the recommandation for the ranger 94 FR, certainly going to keep an eye on it. Yeah, the ski cabin is certainly a super fun experience.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
With reference to the I Titan, I do not believe it to be an all mountain ski for most skiers. It's 80-81 under foot does not yield performance that matches other skis in that width. It rips on ice and firm plus groomers, but it is not a good choice for woods skiing. It's weak in powder, terrain and bumps.

I personally would say that an East Coast ski should be good on firm, responsive, supple, reasonably good in powder and woods. It needs to reward good turns and it should rip. How wide one chooses is a personal choice. I seem to max out at 94 - that's just me.

Stormrider 88
Got it! Thanks a lot for your opinion. Going to keep that in mind.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I would also give the Fisher FR skis (all of their FR skis in that width range) a try; I haven't had the chance to ski any of them, but I'm quite fond of all the Fischer skis I have skied.
Perfect! Surely gonna try them, a lot of people have them as their suggestion. Thanks a lot!

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah that’s right I wanted a ski in this width for exactly what you said! Thanks for understanding. As for the fisher ranger 94fr, they are surely on my list, for the dps’ I don’t really know them, going to look them up. You told me you ski the qst’s, would these be great for me? Thanks again for your response!
I can’t say for sure what you will like in your skis, but the QST’s are pretty light (as an alpine ski), have pretty good edge hold, carve a pretty good turn, ate good off piste and in bumps. They’re just a great all around ski for a use that doesn’t include lots of super deep snow. It’s hard to see you going wrong. The only caveat is you could find a lighter ski, but by and large the lighter they are the less damp and settled they’ll feel.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Perfect! Thanks a lot for the information. It’s good to know and really useful. Also, thanks for the recommandation for the ranger 94 FR, certainly going to keep an eye on it. Yeah, the ski cabin is certainly a super fun experience.
On the cabin and the Canadian skiing, he always made it sound as routinely cold as the colder days at Killington! The Poconos just don't get that cold.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I can’t say for sure what you will like in your skis, but the QST’s are pretty light (as an alpine ski), have pretty good edge hold, carve a pretty good turn, ate good off piste and in bumps. They’re just a great all around ski for a use that doesn’t include lots of super deep snow. It’s hard to see you going wrong. The only caveat is you could find a lighter ski, but by and large the lighter they are the less damp and settled they’ll feel.
Thanks a lot for the answer! It’s really helpful, I’m looking for great all around ski, so this one is surely a contender, and it’s fun to have to opinion of someone who skis it.

Reactions: BMC
TS
S

Saraz

Skier
YES!! 3-4 weeks of -20C is norm for Quebec. This past winter has been great for temperatures, lousy for snow or snow making.
That’s true!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
On the cabin and the Canadian skiing, he always made it sound as routinely cold as the colder days at Killington! The Poconos just don't get that cold.
Yeah, it’s pretty cold!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Saraz,

Sorry, but I couldn‘t help rolling my eyes when you asked for a “one-ski quiver” and immediately you were told you needed a quiver. LOL. They mean well, but you didn’t ask for that, so....

Keep it simple! If you love the Core, get the Core. Maybe the one narrower than the 93. The Ripstick is a similar, albeit slightly softer, ski that is super fun and light and versatile. I ski this ski and LOVE it (east coast).

Don’t get hung up on the right/left ski that the Ripstick has: I’ve skied them reversed twice, and I could still turn them just fine. They just didn’t have the ”auto-turn” feel when the skis are on the correct feet. :)

You know what the Core skis like and you like it. Great! An awesome choice for your needs. If you find a better deal on the Ripstick, it’s gonna be similar; maybe a bit softer but still good performance.

I can’t speak for touring bindings, but I do see a lot of Shifts at my local resort, where there’s no touring. Obviously they’re trusted for the downhill.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Stormrider 88
I know the OP doesn’t mind some weight on the ski for touring, but I’d think the Titan would start to feel pretty heavy on the uphill after awhile.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saraz,

Couple of suggestions.
1. post in the touring forum, you will get recommendations on touring skis that can be used in the resort. Here, its resort skis that are good on ice, and some skis that are 50/50 (kore, rip stick, QST)
2. Check the ski finder on this site, focus on light weight resort skis and see what you get.
3. I am a big guy and have shifts. I love em, most issues are due to lack of knowledge, they have to be set up right and there are a few quirks/tricks you need to know. Like anything, there can be production issues and shifts have those too.
4. There are some new skis out that are all mtn and pretty light for a resort ski. That type of skis should work well for you. An example would be the Volkl Blaze. Kores are good choice, Rip Stick is good choice.
5. I use a Blizzard Zero G 108 mm in 185cm length with shifts for my 50/50 ski. It is not my only ski, so I went on the wide side. For a touring ski that is decent in the resort, Salomon Mtn Explore 95 and Line Sick day 90ish are light and ski decent in the resort. You might want to be more in the "light" resort ski category that can tour if you ski a lot at resorts.

A ski that works good for touring and trees won't be the best for ice, but so what, stay home on icy days. The trees don't ice up nearly as fast a resort slopes, unless it rains, so focus the ski on where you will use it the most. For me, if its icy I am not going in the trees, but staying on groomers where there is good snowmaking and not much ice.

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
@Saraz,

Sorry, but I couldn‘t help rolling my eyes when you asked for a “one-ski quiver” and immediately you were told you needed a quiver. LOL. They mean well, but you didn’t ask for that, so....

Keep it simple! If you love the Core, get the Core. Maybe the one narrower than the 93. The Ripstick is a similar, albeit slightly softer, ski that is super fun and light and versatile. I ski this ski and LOVE it (east coast).

Don’t get hung up on the right/left ski that the Ripstick has: I’ve skied them reversed twice, and I could still turn them just fine. They just didn’t have the ”auto-turn” feel when the skis are on the correct feet. :)

You know what the Core skis like and you like it. Great! An awesome choice for your needs. If you find a better deal on the Ripstick, it’s gonna be similar; maybe a bit softer but still good performance.

I can’t speak for touring bindings, but I do see a lot of Shifts at my local resort, where there’s no touring. Obviously they’re trusted for the downhill.
Thanks a lot, that’s really helpful! I know I’d be better with a quiver, but as I said earlier, I’ll start by one pair. Yeah the kore would definitely be a great choice I skied the 93 last year if I buy some I’ll probably get the 93, it goes to a 91 at my length. As for the ripsticks, yeah they are totally up there on my list too, I’m glad to see that if something happens to the edge, I can reverse them. For the bindings, thanks, even if you don’t personally own them , it’s really good to know that many use the shifts in resorts. Thank you so much!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
Saraz,

Couple of suggestions.
1. post in the touring forum, you will get recommendations on touring skis that can be used in the resort. Here, its resort skis that are good on ice, and some skis that are 50/50 (kore, rip stick, QST)
2. Check the ski finder on this site, focus on light weight resort skis and see what you get.
3. I am a big guy and have shifts. I love em, most issues are due to lack of knowledge, they have to be set up right and there are a few quirks/tricks you need to know. Like anything, there can be production issues and shifts have those too.
4. There are some new skis out that are all mtn and pretty light for a resort ski. That type of skis should work well for you. An example would be the Völkl Blaze. Kores are good choice, Rip Stick is good choice.
5. I use a Blizzard Zero G 108 mm in 185cm length with shifts for my 50/50 ski. It is not my only ski, so I went on the wide side. For a touring ski that is decent in the resort, Salomon Mtn Explore 95 and Line Sick day 90ish are light and ski decent in the resort. You might want to be more in the "light" resort ski category that can tour if you ski a lot at resorts.

A ski that works good for touring and trees won't be the best for ice, but so what, stay home on icy days. The trees don't ice up nearly as fast a resort slopes, unless it rains, so focus the ski on where you will use it the most. For me, if its icy I am not going in the trees, but staying on groomers where there is good snowmaking and not much ice.
Thanks a lot! Yeah I should have posted on the touring forum, didn’t think about it, good idea. I’m going to look at the ski finder too, great one too. For the shifts, really appreciate the feedback, it’s always good to have opinion of owners, at this point, Im pretty sure I will go with them. Also, thanks for all the recommendations, going to look at that right away. Yes, I know it’s probably not going to perform nicely on ice, but I’ll deal with it!

TS
S

Saraz

Skier
I know the OP doesn’t mind some weight on the ski for touring, but I’d think the Titan would start to feel pretty heavy on the uphill after awhile.
Thanks, good to know.

Sponsor

Staff online