• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Tight Trees and Bumps

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I frequent similar conditions in Vermont and favor being in trees and bumps in all but the bleakest/iciest days! But unless I am at Mad River or Magic, there also will be some fast groomer runs. The perfect fit for me this season has been the J Masterblaster which is great in typical VT bumps and does a really good job on the groomed. Something about having Metal, a little more centered mount, and tamed stiffness works well for type of bumps I see most days. And, dampness helps on the groomed and variable.

Seems like more common formula is for skis with Metal to be stiff and more chargers. This works (for me) on rounded and hero bumps but less so with bumps on my local hill (Magic).

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Either the Enforcer 88 or 94 would work. I ski the Enforcer 88 at Killington and Pico and bumps and trees are magnets to me. The tips and shovels of the 88 have some taper and rocker and aren't overly stiff while the tail is stronger but releases fairly easily. The shape works well in tight trees and bumps; the tail is a little strong but overall I really like this ski in tight, steep terrain. The icier and bigger the bumps get, the less I like it and wish the tail was a bit softer or I was a better skier. When conditions are good the ski absolutely rips everywhere on the mountain especially in softer bumps and chopped up snow.

Agree with Truberski about the Masterblaster. I would love to have that ski.

A Kendo might work, but I think the Enforcer 88 is better if you're going with an 88 for trees and bumps.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
21-22 Kore 93.... worth the wait.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m 5’9, 160ish. I don’t remember the size but I usually get skis within my height, so maybe 170-175 range? I tested them out Killington and definitely felt they were soft on groomers.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Did Head stiffen the Kore up? I demo them when they came out, they were soft.

They are not soft. Next year's is a bit softer and IMHO, has better edge grip. Skied them for a day in mixed conditions... super fun ski!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m 5’9, 160ish. I don’t remember the size but I usually get skis within my height, so maybe 170-175 range? I tested them out Killington and definitely felt they were soft on groomers.
I wonder If I tried them at the same demo day. I'm the same size and have a pair in 171 but I could have gone up to a 180. They're not groomer zoomers but I don't think I'd want them much stiffer for bumps and trees.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I wonder If I tried them at the same demo day. I'm the same size and have a pair in 171 but I could have gone up to a 180. They're not groomer zoomers but I don't think I'd want them much stiffer for bumps and trees.

The new ones are softer, but bend round which IMHO gives it better edge grip without having to load it to the bejezzuz. It's just better all around. For trees and bumps, it's easier going than a monster 88, and still tips up well on firm groomers.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
171 was too short (soft?) for me. I didn’t like the 180. At my size, I can’t imagine skiing 180 in the trees and bumps. Maybe I’ll demo them again next year.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Once demoed three Head skis back to back at Killington when the Kores first came out. Loved the Rally and Monster 88, the Kore didn't impress me at all.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Once demoed three Head skis back to back at Killington when the Kores first came out. Loved the Rally and Monster 88, the Kore didn't impress me at all.
It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I find it a bit too light sometimes but I also appreciate the lack of swing weight skiing bumps and trees. I never tried the monster but I probably wouldn't like it as much.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I find it a bit too light sometimes but I also appreciate the lack of swing weight skiing bumps and trees. I never tried the monster but I probably wouldn't like it as much.
Yes, it definitely is a personal thing. I did not like the light weight of the Kores. Note this was on an early season man made eastern base. Not the Kores playground. But it was enough for me to not consider them in the future. FWIW the ski I ended up with next in that width range was the Fischer Motive 95. Entirely different ski.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
171 was too short (soft?) for me. I didn’t like the 180. At my size, I can’t imagine skiing 180 in the trees and bumps. Maybe I’ll demo them again next year.

Yes, the size splits are an issue. Next season, this changes as well. 191, 184, 177, 170, 163, etc....

Sponsor

Staff online