• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike...VanMoof Model V

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It'll be interesting to know if this is strictly an assist or if there's a throttle. I didn't see that in the blurb.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We don't yet have an eBike forum.
Not sure where to put this but eBiking just took a turn for the serious.
IMO, riding a bike with this potential without real MC gear is asking for it.

Not just yours, and not 'just' took:

Explicitly:
Our study suggests that e-bike-related trauma may involve serious injuries and have typical injury patterns that resemble those seen in motorcycle-related injuries. Children are more likely to suffer head and face injuries because of their higher head to body ratio. We suggest that these injuries should therefore be triaged appropriately, preferably to a medical facility with proper trauma capabilities.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not just yours, and not 'just' took:

Explicitly:
Shocking. More injuries seen on ebikes as ebike numbers grow.

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Ebikes and eMotorcycles are part of a spectrum.
After riding a Zero eMotorcycle I came away totally impressed with the performance.
If you turn off the eWheeliecontrol the thing will come up and swat you in the face faster than you can say holy eShit.
The only problem is range, silence is golden on the trails.
If you flog the thing, it won't last an hour.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Shocking. More injuries seen on ebikes as ebike numbers grow.
Of course.

But I also think it underscores a big divide. My Synapse Neo stops assist at 20mph and has no throttle. But there are a lot of people riding around on ebikes with throttles the way kids rode around my neighborhood on minibikes and mopeds when I was a kid. And they top out at 28, 32 and beyond. Riding the wrong way in the bike lane, on sidewalks, in and out of traffic, etc.

There is, once again, a huge divide between "serious" cyclists and "I lost my license and this is all I can legally use". I am all for alternative forms of transportation. But there are plenty of numskulls out there and the non cycling public does not distinguish between (sigh, yes I am going to say it) us and them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta say, lotta smoke and mirrors on this, but I'm no expert. The phrase "will be" is used a lot, and only artistic renderings of the bike are shown. And two wheel drive on a city bike? Why?

I'd rather have this, but I'm a dirt biker at heart: https://www.segway.com/dirt-ebike/

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gotta say, lotta smoke and mirrors on this, but I'm no expert. The phrase "will be" is used a lot, and only artistic renderings of the bike are shown. And two wheel drive on a city bike? Why?

I'd rather have this, but I'm a dirt biker at heart: https://www.segway.com/dirt-ebike/
I agree, but . . .

First, Van Moof is a well established and successful company that has delivered on their promises more than once.

And, I think they are creating this more as a statement about the need for e-bike reg reform. I think the dual motor is pointless. But I love the dual suspension. It is obviously low-travel, but that is exactly what a city bike needs.

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
0.7 Kwh battery pack isn't much.
Remembering that a Kw is 1.22 Hp, the thing will put our a little under a horsepower for an hour.
An average human can rarely put out 1/3 HP for an hour so it's quite a power adder.
But, I bet it won't go 25 miles at full boost.
(My Hayabusa would cover 25 miles in 11 minutes without breaking a sweat, not that I've done that on public highways...:ogbiggrin:)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost totally ignorant on eBikes. Is "Van Moof" a real brand or are you all parlaying a Dr. Seuss character into a "gotcha" thread?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Almost totally ignorant on eBikes. Is "Van Moof" a real brand or are you all parlaying a Dr. Seuss character into a "gotcha" thread?

Sadly real: End of 2017-beginning of 2019 they were the most noticeable sidewalk e-bike.

Put another way, if you saw a person doing 12-20mph on an 8mph sidewalk in Bethesda MD or Vienna VA, chances are they'd have that long torpedo-launcher top tube of a Van Moof.

They've kinda lost that visibility since, to e-scooters and fat-tire e-bikes.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink