• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Edge compression repair

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up a pair of 2022 Enforcer 104 Frees and skied them for 4 days at Big Sky last week.

I hit a few rocks under all the powder (as you do at Big Sky), but had surprisingly little base damage between these and a pair of powder skis - nothing worth repairing. I was feeling pretty good about how my skis came through the week until I took a closer look when I got home and noticed an edge compression and the top sheet beginning to separate (see pics).

is this repairable? Partially repairable and it’s now my outside edge? Unrepairable and it’s my outside edge until the ski breaks?

I usually do my own repair and maintenance work but happy to take these to a good shop if they’re going to do a much better job and save my skis. Also open to giving it a go at home if it’s straight forward.

1F099170-86A2-426C-BA9D-EDE035AC8FEE.jpeg
E7D0BD09-A4CF-499A-8D1E-270F7BADF13D.jpeg

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Warranty. Toast. Did you slam something? Top sheet, no big deal, but look more than that.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Warranty. Toast. Did you slam something? Top sheet, no big deal, but look more than that.

There is a lightish rock scrape on the edge approx under where the top sheet is separating, but no obvious damage to the ptex beyond some light surface scratches. It doesn’t really show up in the pics but there are a couple of small “waves” in the ptex under the top sheet separation.

Honestly, I didn’t look to see if there was an issue before I skied these, but surely this has to be from some sort of impact. Whether from skiing or I guess it could be from the airline (although skis were strapped together so that seems unlikely). I wouldn’t be comfortable asking for a warranty replacement if this is from an impact - I’m a little surprised it happened given the lack evidence of an obvious hard impact, but it seems like that’s what it must have been.
8148D083-B920-4CB9-99FB-85789985AF5F.jpeg
5034A903-CC11-422E-A5B5-C8E2CA77808C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
There is a lightish rock scrape on the edge approx under where the top sheet is separating, but no obvious damage to the ptex beyond some light surface scratches. It doesn’t really show up in the pics but there are a couple of small “waves” in the ptex under the top sheet separation.

Honestly, I didn’t look to see if there was an issue before I skied these, but surely this has to be from some sort of impact. Whether from skiing or I guess it could be from the airline (although skis were strapped together so that seems unlikely). I wouldn’t be comfortable asking for a warranty replacement if this is from an impact - I’m a little surprised it happened given the lack evidence of an obvious hard impact, but it seems like that’s what it must have been. View attachment 125661 View attachment 125662
Well, you can still ski them, but they will fail soon. Good luck. Obviously hit rock.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump. Any ideas on repairing this?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably not worth the work involved.

This is what I see besides the obvious rolled edge and top sheet separation from the core. Closer look at the first photo also show a large crack between the side wall and the titanal layer. That separation is probably due to extended delamination between core and the bottom metal layer. All these damages are located directly below the binding area. That area of the ski usually experiences the most stress on a pair of skis. Repairs will most likely not hold up under use.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd contact Nordica and shoot them the photos and ask if they can repair or recommend a yes or no on repair. I'd even mention you're not looking for warranty, just assistance. Maybe they have a spare ski around somewhere? You never know what will happen until you broach the subject!

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably not worth the work involved.

This is what I see besides the obvious rolled edge and top sheet separation from the core. Closer look at the first photo also show a large crack between the side wall and the titanal layer. That separation is probably due to extended delamination between core and the bottom metal layer. All these damages are located directly below the binding area. That area of the ski usually experiences the most stress on a pair of skis. Repairs will most likely not hold up under use.

By extended delamination, do you mean it’s delaminated for an extended distance into or along the ski? Or that it has been delaminated for an extended period of time?

None of this is great news after paying $850 for 2022 skis and getting 4 days out of them before they’re ready for the dumpster.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd contact Nordica and shoot them the photos and ask if they can repair or recommend a yes or no on repair. I'd even mention you're not looking for warranty, just assistance. Maybe they have a spare ski around somewhere? You never know what will happen until you broach the subject!

Thanks. I’ll give them a try. Maybe they would sell me a single ski if it’s not viable to repair.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
By extended delamination, do you mean it’s delaminated for an extended distance into or along the ski? Or that it has been delaminated for an extended period of time?

The bottom delamination extends past the serial number in the front (2nd photo) and past the rear binding (1st photo). The damage most likely extends into the ski.

This damage looks like impact landing damage rather than skiing over a rock type of damage.
I am pretty hard on my skis and have seen my share of ski damages.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The bottom delamination extends past the serial number in the front (2nd photo) and past the rear binding (1st photo). The damage most likely extends into the ski.

This damage looks like impact landing damage rather than skiing over a rock type of damage.
I am pretty hard on my skis and have seen my share of ski damages.

I’m not sure the bottom delamination is what it appears to be in the photo. Or maybe there’s something else going on.

I just went down to the basement to take a look at the other ski. The bottom edge of the sidewall looks the same as the damaged ski. I guess it’s either supposed to be like that or the same issue exists on both skis.
01CFAB23-79B3-4E59-B8F8-116BECE95F8C.jpeg

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the 2nd photo from post #1. I've drew a green line to the crack in question. If that is indeed a crack rather than a shadow then the ski is most likely gone. Water will get in there in a hurry. If it also exist on the other ski and there is no impact then you should think about a warranty claim.

1614310514438.png

Below is a shot of one of my skis showing the side wall. There should be no gap on the side wall from the top sheet to the base edge.

1614310626811.png

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'd try Nordica first as they are brand new, but if they offer you nothing, any open cracks need to be filled. You may want to open the cracks to allow more epoxy to flow in to create a better bond. I use a thin Dremel cut off wheel to provide more space for epoxy. The topsheet crack may accept enough as is, but the sidewall damage near the edge isn't very wide at all, but needs filling to make it waterproof. I also like to warm the epoxy to allow it to flow better. It also sets more rapidly, so you have to be prepared and work quickly, but a long cure epoxy, warmed up and encouraged to flow into the cracks by prying open the cracks and/or flexing the ski will probably yield a strong, permanent repair.

In my opinion they are far from trash. My Rangers are now 6 years old and were 'trashed' within a few days. I ski them as much as any other ski in my rack, if not more, Ranger 98 repair Yours are not nearly as damage, particularly the edge and base.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the 2nd photo from post #1. I've drew a green line to the crack in question. If that is indeed a crack rather than a shadow then the ski is most likely gone. Water will get in there in a hurry. If it also exist on the other ski and there is no impact then you should think about a warranty claim.

View attachment 125776

Below is a shot of one of my skis showing the side wall. There should be no gap on the side wall from the top sheet to the base edge.

View attachment 125777

I don’t disagree with you that it doesn’t look right. The thing is, the bottom edge of the sidewall looks the same to me on the damaged ski and on the undamaged ski.

I took some photos from a different angle to try to make sure there is no illusion from shadows. A is the undamaged ski. B is the damaged ski. I honestly don’t any difference on the bottom edge of the sidewall. I would assume they’re either supposed to be like they are, or there is an issue with both skis.
F1528FDF-DD41-4AB5-80ED-7EA0116A4B24.jpeg
4DEE6F5C-C059-48F6-9A7E-C54D25152B6F.jpeg

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd try Nordica first as they are brand new, but if they offer you nothing, any open cracks need to be filled. You may want to open the cracks to allow more epoxy to flow in to create a better bond. I use a thin Dremel cut off wheel to provide more space for epoxy. The topsheet crack may accept enough as is, but the sidewall damage near the edge isn't very wide at all, but needs filling to make it waterproof. I also like to warm the epoxy to allow it to flow better. It also sets more rapidly, so you have to be prepared and work quickly, but a long cure epoxy, warmed up and encouraged to flow into the cracks by prying open the cracks and/or flexing the ski will probably yield a strong, permanent repair.

In my opinion they are far from trash. My Rangers are now 6 years old and were 'trashed' within a few days. I ski them as much as any other ski in my rack, if not more, Ranger 98 repair Yours are not nearly as damage, particularly the edge and base.

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I’ll definitely try Nordica.

Do you have a particular type of epoxy you recommend?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. That’s really helpful. I’ll definitely try Nordica.

Do you have a particular type of epoxy you recommend?
At the shop, our slow cure is System 3. At home, I have some West System but I haven't used it on skis. I used to like the 1 hour Devcon but can only find 5 minute now.

I wasn't sure about purported separation near the edge so I'm glad to see KG suggesting it is just a different layer, not a crack. I use a box cutter or other thin blade to check for actual cracks/openings. If I can't get any part of the blade in, I usually leave it alone. The top sheet, of course, is clearly an opening. Whether the top sheet is coincident with the rock to the edge or the result of the rock is anyone's guess. If the former, Nordica should take care of it. Whether they will is another matter. The edge, if there is no actual crack/opening, is pretty much fine as is, I'd say. It is barely dislocated and the sidewall seems to have integrity. The key, if you repair the ski, is to prevent moisture from entering, more so than restoring original shape, although that could be possible, too.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all. I've contacted Nordica and they asked me to send through some photos so should hopefully hear something next week. If Nordica can't help, I'll give he epoxy fix a go.

I'll update this thread either way.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Given the new photos (and I'm not on my phone now), in this image, is the area marked in yellow a gap or just a slightly different thickness of material and why is any black missing in the area above the green highlight. The difference in thickness/presence of the black above the edge is the concerning factor for me.

1614364590795.png

Working from photos is better than none, but it still doesn't replace 'hands on'.

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
Given the new photos (and I'm not on my phone now), in this image, is the area marked in yellow a gap or just a slightly different thickness of material and why is any black missing in the area above the green highlight. The difference in thickness/presence of the black above the edge is the concerning factor for me.

View attachment 125846

Working from photos is better than none, but it still doesn't replace 'hands on'.
Yea, the first photos looked like the skis were falling apart. Second photos looked better, but still a bit strange.
Could be a bad construction.
Like you say, eyes are better than a photo in a case like this.
That said, the ski surly had some good impact that looked like rock to me based on the edge and the plastic near the edge.

Sponsor

Staff online