• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Edge compression repair

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the new photos (and I'm not on my phone now), in this image, is the area marked in yellow a gap or just a slightly different thickness of material and why is any black missing in the area above the green highlight. The difference in thickness/presence of the black above the edge is the concerning factor for me.

View attachment 125846

Working from photos is better than none, but it still doesn't replace 'hands on'.

Yeah. I didn't really look at that closely when I first unwrapped the skis, As you say, the photos still don't show absolutely everything, but from my inspection, that black strip at the bottom edge of the sidewall is similar on both skis. The area marked in yellow isn't a gap - it's a black material that is between the sidewall proper and the edge.

It's certainly not the best finished sidewall to edge transition I've ever seen, and there are some areas that look slightly less than perfect on both skis, but it is approximately uniform on both skis.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah. I didn't really look at that closely when I first unwrapped the skis, As you say, the photos still don't show absolutely everything, but from my inspection, that black strip at the bottom edge of the sidewall is similar on both skis. The area marked in yellow isn't a gap - it's a black material that is between the sidewall proper and the edge.

It's certainly not the best finished sidewall to edge transition I've ever seen, and there are some areas that look slightly less than perfect on both skis, but it is approximately uniform on both skis.
I've seen that on skis that go through the shop for tunes. It catches my eye and I check it to make sure it isn't delamination. While not desireable, it doesn't seem to be anything other than a blemish. I'm thinking more and more that the ding on the base edge is just a coincidence. I'd highlight the blemish and the delamination of the topsheet when discussing things with Nordica.

Last edited:
TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Closing the loop on this.

I contacted Nordica on Thursday night and sent them the same pictures and gave the same description as I posted here. I was honest with the rep about hitting some rocks in my few days on the skis and pointed out that damage. I also let the rep know that once he had evaluated, I was fine with whatever he came back with - whether that was telling me it was a warranty issue or that it was related to an impact and he couldn’t help me.

Just heard back and the rep asked me to send the skis back and they would send me a new pair on Monday!

I’m unsure if he sees something in the photos that indicates a defect in this particular pair that resulted in the separation or he’s just doing me a favor for being a good customer of the brand. Either way, outstanding customer service and standing behind their product from Nordica. It feels like it would have been an easy claim to deny and I wouldn’t have held that against them.

Thanks to all who provided input and advice.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The reps often have some leeway to cut honest but unlucky folks like you a break. Props to both you and Nordica for doing the right thing :cool:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Closing the loop on this.

I contacted Nordica on Thursday night and sent them the same pictures and gave the same description as I posted here. I was honest with the rep about hitting some rocks in my few days on the skis and pointed out that damage. I also let the rep know that once he had evaluated, I was fine with whatever he came back with - whether that was telling me it was a warranty issue or that it was related to an impact and he couldn’t help me.

Just heard back and the rep asked me to send the skis back and they would send me a new pair on Monday!

I’m unsure if he sees something in the photos that indicates a defect in this particular pair that resulted in the separation or he’s just doing me a favor for being a good customer of the brand. Either way, outstanding customer service and standing behind their product from Nordica. It feels like it would have been an easy claim to deny and I wouldn’t have held that against them.

Thanks to all who provided input and advice.

Nice.
Nordica is a great company and makes very good skis.
They don't cut any corners on base material. Only the best stuff from them.
That said, I think they cut you a break, but sometimes that's what the best large producers will do.
They surly will look in detail, and pass on to their QC I would imagine.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
good outcome, I was gonna say doesnt hurt to contact for warrantee, esp. if you are nice about it. Costs the companies essentially nothing and pretty much guarantees a repeat customer. Gotta love that approach.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
good outcome, I was gonna say doesnt hurt to contact for warrantee, esp. if you are nice about it. Costs the companies essentially nothing and pretty much guarantees a repeat customer. Gotta love that approach.
Ha ha! It always cost them. Nobody makes skis for nothing!
The best will do their best to keep folk happy though. Nordica is awesome.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
fair enough, 500 dollars out of, what, 200 million annual revenue or so? not nothing, just......very, very, very, very little.

Sponsor

Staff online