• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Edge ruined by rocks... Is it fixable?

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
The early season snow condition in Alberta was awful this year... Rocks everywhere, my Kore 93 edges were ruined after an off-piste trip. I managed to file and polish the side edge, but the base edge is still a problem. It was heavily dented and no way to make the whole edge feel sharp. What should I do with this damage?

Another question is... Is 87 deg too much for this ski? Even it's for all-terrain usage, I still want to carve aggressively on groomed blue runs after getting out from moguls. I feel that the original setting doesn't grip well. My supershape is 87 deg and I really enjoy that. Not sure if this setting could be applied to Kore 93 as well.

Thank you!

20230129_152413.JPG

Attachments

• 20230129_152413.JPG
    20230129_152413.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 116

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Clean it up as best you can and keep it on a little toe side. It will be fit. 87 is a pretty standard tune now. You won’t notice any difference unless the snow is extremely hard.

dm

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The only way to "fix" base edge damage is to reset everything with a stone grind. You can knock the burrs off with a ceramic stone, etc., but you can't erase the dents.

Base edge angle effects how quickly the ski will engage in the snow. Do they hook up quickly enough for you? If so, I wouldn't worry about it until they feel squirrely. Base edge angle naturally increases over time just from the abrasion on snow and ice, etc. You're just going to hit more rocks, so it's a question of when you want to spend the money as you know what's going to happen on your next outing (i.e., a rock).

Side edge angle (your 87 number) dictates how well the skis will hold. I run all my skis at that.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
The only way to "fix" base edge damage is to reset everything with a stone grind. You can knock the burrs off with a ceramic stone, etc., but you can't erase the dents.

Base edge angle effects how quickly the ski will engage in the snow. Do they hook up quickly enough for you? If so, I wouldn't worry about it until they feel squirrely. Base edge angle naturally increases over time just from the abrasion on snow and ice, etc. You're just going to hit more rocks, so it's a question of when you want to spend the money as you know what's going to happen on your next outing (i.e., a rock).

Side edge angle (your 87 number) dictates how well the skis will hold. I run all my skis at that.
It's quick enough, I'm just worrying about the grip. Previously it tends to skid when I charge it hard. Looks like everyone agrees on the 87 deg setting. I'll do that. Perhaps a stone grind after season. Thank you!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I had similar damage a few decades ago and I found a guy who cut out the damaged edge and put a new piece in there. He also fixed the base of course. I never noticed the super thin cracks where he scarfed in the new piece of edge.

In other word - yes.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On to the next case. Are these Black Ripsticks that my buddy was on fixable or trash?
View attachment 201925
Nice shot. Depends if the sidewall is crushed. Doesn't look too bad from photo. A good shop can cut out the damaged edge and base ptex and replace just a section of edge and base material. I don't know where to tell you to go at K-town, Mark. Maybe try Peak Performance or Basin?

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah people can “fix” that, depends whether you want to pay them to work on it. Is it worth $100?
Brian at Forerunner?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Completely fixable
Yep, with an hour's work, let it wet clamped overnight, another hour of clean up.. and it's good enough for the outside edge. $150 a fair price to get it there?

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
On to the next case. Are these Black Ripsticks that my buddy was on fixable or trash?

Yep, with an hour's work, let it wet clamped overnight, another hour of clean up.. and it's good enough for the outside edge. $150 a fair price to get it there?

The Elan Ripsticks are asymetrical, with a dedicated left and right foot ski. Assuming the damage happened on an inside edge, you better find someone really good at edge repairs as you won't be able to make that edge the outside one.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied w/ a good buddy from the back 40 in VT, whose edges were peeling off and sticking out. Gouges everywhere in his skis. To this very day, he's one of the best skiers I've ever seen. He slowed his pace for me and I could barely keep up with him! Nor could my ex instructor/ski patrol/guide buddies! They were like "Mark? Where the hell did you find this guy? " I ended up giving him a pair of my less used skis. OMG He lit them up to the point where I almost regretted giving them up!!! LOL :beercheer:

@ariesl pic look 10x better than rock skis! That's nothing..... Wax'em and keep skiing! My rock skis look more like the pic from @Guy in Shorts

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online