• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Effective resort advice in Europe

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I wonder how Europe’s impending winter energy crisis is going to affect ski resorts? Will some be forced to run fewer lifts, make less snow, or even shutdown for part or all of the season. Which ski countries will be most affected and least affected by the energy crunch. Do you have any thoughts on the matter @Cheizz ? Should North Americans consider delaying such a trip until the 2024-2025, especially given the pent up post COVID demand for skiing in Europe.
Yes. Maybe. If the crunch hits, it’s hard to justify energy intensive leisure activities.

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
I wouldn't try to tag Venice on the end of a ski trip unless it was explicitly the most convenient airport but for many it might be their chance in a lifetime to go there.
Venice is a 5-6 hour drive from most of the Austrian ski areas. Once we saw an unfavorable weather forecast, so we took off for 3 days in Venice, then returned to Austria for more skiing.

This is why we like having a car in Europe. Big storms can shut down most lifts and all of the off piste. But driving distances are short by North American standards. There’s always some place interesting within easy drive distance if the ski conditions are adverse.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Nordic skiing is another option if bad weather shuts down areas above treeline. Unlike in North America, there's not much good tree skiing on such days.

Or Venice of course. There's a direct train from Innsbruck (5 hrs), sit back, relax...

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nordic skiing is another option if bad weather shuts down areas above treeline. Unlike in North America, there's not much good tree skiing on such days.

Or Venice of course. There's a direct train from Innsbruck (5 hrs), sit back, relax...
When I'm in France, on snow days, i ski couloirs, visibility is pretty good because of the rock walls

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Bottom Line: Ski resorts, at least in Switzerland, may be a target for conservation measures, but by the numbers, the ski industry does not consume enough power to make them a big target of cutbacks. The industry also employs a lot of people and has worked hard in the past years to implement conservation measures:

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Bottom Line: Ski resorts, at least in Switzerland, may be a target for conservation measures, but by the numbers, the ski industry does not consume enough power to make them a big target of cutbacks. The industry also employs a lot of people and has worked hard in the past years to implement conservation measures:

The same goes for Austria and France.

Petrus

Putting on skis
Skier
The problem is the "gray area" of enticing-looking sidecountry between the marked pistes. You can clearly see those areas skiied every day by marginally competent skiers ... such as myself ... technically that's a no-go zone and can get you in a heap of trouble if you catch an edge and tear an ACL and need transport out...but ofc it's not really accurate to say "never ever ski there or you will DIE!"

A reminder that even an "easy" off-piste, could be enough to get you:

Attachments

• 1662392054252.png
    1662392054252.png
    835.4 KB · Views: 148

James

Out There
Instructor
A reminder that even an "easy" off-piste, could be enough to get you:

1662392054252-png.177301
What’s the story with this photo? That’s pretty scary, as there were hundreds of tracks on that and it slid.

Reactions: Tex
TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
That picture (and other, similar ones) is often used to prove the point that even 1 meter off the groomers is to be considered 'off-piste', with all the risks that inplies.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Tracks aren't a guarantee, even lots of tracks.
Sure. But that slope looks like a fair amount of skier compaction will have occurred. The point is that there was probably a pretty faceted layer (perhaps during a long drought period) before say a 50cm recent snowfall. Without knowing all that history the slope is an unknown risk. Have to say it's more than possible I would have skied that slope (depending on the actual angle which is hard to determine from the photo).

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
Do you have any advice for the Pyrenees? My wife is of Catalan descent and has relatives in Majorca. It might be fun to combine a ski trip in the Pyrenees with a visit to Palma. Since my wife doesn’t ski, a village with restaurants, galleries and shopping would be preferable. Gastronomy is important to both of us. Access to an airport to Palma also important, either Toulouse (French side) or Barcelona (Spanish side). For this trip I would be very happy to skip the Alps and go to the lower key Pyrenees. Any experiences to share?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Only been once to the Pyrenees as a kid - St Lary and Piau Engaly. Bareges and Superbagneres have a decent rep though. Snowfall can be vastly different from the Alps for good or bad.

But the obvious opportunity and perhaps the most developed combined skiing would be Andorra which you could easily combine with Barcelona (one of Europe's great cities).

James

Out There
Instructor
Do you have any advice for the Pyrenees? My wife is of Catalan descent and has relatives in Majorca. It might be fun to combine a ski trip in the Pyrenees with a visit to Palma. Since my wife doesn’t ski, a village with restaurants, galleries and shopping would be preferable. Gastronomy is important to both of us. Access to an airport to Palma also important, either Toulouse (French side) or Barcelona (Spanish side). For this trip I would be very happy to skip the Alps and go to the lower key Pyrenees. Any experiences to share?
@Rod9301 skis there.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm in luz Saint Sauveur, just south of Lourdes. Ski in bareges.

Luz is a small town, lots of good restaurants, limited shoping.

Nice old town character.

On piste skiing intermediate, backcountry phenomenal, if you like steep couloirs with half an hour approaches.