• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Effective resort advice in Europe

DanishRider

Getting on the lift
Skier
At least France runs largely on nuclear power for electricity. It makes me glad we're headed to Chamonix this year. (We still have rooms available if anyone wants to join us on a ski club trip.)
The electricity market is actually shared between countries in the EU, and sold across borders, so despite them having nuclear power as the primary source, it is no guarantee that they will be able to use it cheaply themselves, since they will need to go into a bidding war with the rest of Europe, to buy their own electricity back. One of the great joys of the EU;-)

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm in luz Saint Sauveur, just south of Lourdes. Ski in bareges.

Luz is a small town, lots of good restaurants, limited shoping.

Nice old town character.

On piste skiing intermediate, backcountry phenomenal, if you like steep couloirs with half an hour approaches.
Thank you.

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
Only been once to the Pyrenees as a kid - St Lary and Piau Engaly. Bareges and Superbagneres have a decent rep though. Snowfall can be vastly different from the Alps for good or bad.

But the obvious opportunity and perhaps the most developed combined skiing would be Andorra which you could easily combine with Barcelona (one of Europe's great cities).
Thanks.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The electricity market is actually shared between countries in the EU, and sold across borders, so despite them having nuclear power as the primary source, it is no guarantee that they will be able to use it cheaply themselves, since they will need to go into a bidding war with the rest of Europe, to buy their own electricity back. One of the great joys of the EU;-)
Aside from any formal restrictions that may or may not be imposed, there is also the effect of high energy prices. At some point you simply can’t run a business. According to this article, many ski areas in France will need to renegotiate their three-year contracts with electricity providers, at a time when prices are very high.

There’s a lot of uncertainty.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I figure this thread is the best place to ask... As the holder of a shiny new Cooper Pass, bought mainly to spite Indy, I have three days this winter in Masella, Spain.

I've skied Grandvalira in Andorra on a bus trip from Barcelona before. I'm hoping to go back there in January and use the Masella tix at the same time.

Is there ski season transportation between Andorra and Masella? Particularly to stay in one and ski the other

Google maps doesn't show a transit option. Rome2Rio shows a once daily bus. Not sure how reliable either are regarding ski season availability. I could hire a car, as it's just over an hour, but I'd like to avoid that option if possible.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Pretty sure rental car will be your best option. Euros don't really do the leave a resort to travel an hour to another resort thing.

Sponsor

Staff online