• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grizzly777

Booting up
Skier
It looks like Elan has a Black Edition 96 Ripstick coming out for this ski season. Has anyone had a chance to try it out yet? I have been curious if Black Edition is going to be available on Ripstick 106 in future. I really enjoyed the Ripstick 96 and 106 on Demo day last year. The Ripstick 106 was especially a dreamy ride in trees with 6 inch of fresh and was a clear winner for me in that width range. I saw some complaints with bigger/heavier skiers on top end with Ripstick skis not up to the task. I am curious if Black Edition helps with us bigger guys north of 200 lbs for when speeds pick up more??

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Hey Griz,

I spent a bunch of runs on the Blacked-out Ripstick 96 last Spring in shin-deep powder, cut up dry powder and firm, packed groomers with little spots of boilerplate underneath. I'm fairly heavy at 190-195 lbs and almost 6' tall, so my observations might apply to your curiosity about these skis. First off, despite the carbon "black" upgrade, the RipStick 96 is relatively soft tip and tail and can feel a bit short and darty at high speeds under pressure. That being said, they are super fun and quick edge-to-edge for a 96mm ski. They are not demanding (in my book), and have a quiet-on-the-snow feel while being very agile. I would pick these for playing around in the trees when the snow doesn't warrant anything over 100mm. They can lay down a quick and secure trench in the groomers and hold the line, with just a hint of deflection if there's some junk under the surface. You dance with the RipStick 96, you don't drive it hard. The ski felt really light underfoot, with a super easy swing-weight feel to it, as well as having a nice rocker tip profile to surf easily, but not enough to make the effective edge feel really short under you when it's on-edge. You can run them flat, tip them over at high edge angles, and they are really friendly and sporty with plenty of pop and zing to them. Really fun, and never boring. A realy heavyweight might think they are a bit soft, but if you buy them a bit longer, I bet that impression would go away. Edge hold on the really hard surfaces was pretty good for a 96mm ski. No worries for anyone on groomers. They are super easy when things get cut-up and you need to surf and cut your way around the terrain. They're very agile and easy to ski, with a sporty, fun feel. I did NOT ski the non-blacked-out version of the Ripstick 96, so I can't compare them. I think the carbon probably adds some zing and pop and responsiveness to the already agile design, rather than dampening it out for high-speed frequency control. I loved the little demo the Elan tech showed me with the hollow tubes running lengthwise down the ski with little rods sliding up and down the tubes as the ski is flexed. I;m not really sure how this works when the ski is pointed downhill..but then again, I'm no engineer. The Elan website does not mention the little rods inside the carbon tubes...maybe this is a new 18-19 feature? or was he pulling my leg?

core-tnt-technology_855x522px.png

I think the ski is a hoot and definitely worth trying at a demo day to see if it will make you happy. If you like the previous Elan RipSticks, you will probably like the blacked-out 96 if you want something more spunky.

TS
G

Grizzly777

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the review on Black Edition 96!!! I agree about 96 being quick to the edge along with the 106. Both widths 96 and 106 seemed versatile from trees, powder to groomers. I was really wowed in the trees with some fresh so easy, agile and quick. Honestly, Elans with amphibio rocker I thought would have been gimmicky and wasn't even on my radar to test but that 106 in the trees with some fresh was a dream ride to a new level. I tested them on a small hill so didn't have any real crazy speeds to run them up to for stability checking and that is why I have been curious about Black Edition of skis. Thanks again for your update.

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone tied both the Elan Ripstick and the black edition that can make a comparison?

Thanks,

Neal

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
I have The 96 Black Edition in 188cm. Love the ski. Only been on hard pack so far and no issues. I am 6ft1 and about 250 and the ski is stiff enough for me. Have not tried the regular edition as I was warned it would be to soft for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Black has more power and as the powers that be at Elan, say it has another gear.

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
The Black has more power and as the powers that be at Elan, say it has another gear.
I know this is what the marketing says but was curious as to how this changes the feel of the ski. Was looking for a ski to complement my Elan SLX and Pro Mtn 86 for when we got more snow (last week) and it was super sloppy. Will the Black edition be as fun? How forgiving?

Thanks,

Neal

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
I found the rip stick 96 to be overly forgiving as it was. It was actually a little bit “less“ of a ski than I expected it to be given its namesake. I have a feeling that the black edition would be an overall better ski for me, but the issue remains; there aren’t any left. If you find them out on the sales floor, that will probably be the only place you’ll find them.

I would have loved to have had the chance to get on a set, but you snooze, you lose! Watch for late season demos and sales. There may still be an opportunity to get some there.

#AlwaysGoodTimes

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Eric Edelstein's review makes this ski sound appealing to me.

But I'm confused about the difference between the "regular" Ripstick 96 and the "black edition." This Ski Essentials page says that the difference is ONLY cosmetic. ("the Ripstick Black Edition is a twin of the Ripstick 96, just with a special graphic") This does not square with either their pricing - the black is more expensive - or what I have read elsewhere, which says that the black has more ... something. @SkiEssentials, what say you? Meanwhile, hand-flexing the skis reveals that both the regular and the black are very soft, as @James has posted elsewhere recently. Can someone in addition to Eric speak authoritatively on the differences between the two editions?

What about the 18/19 vs. 19/20?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
[removed due to thread merge]

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah it sounds good. The regular edition is boring.
What length would tou get?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moved.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
@Eric Edelstein's review makes this ski sound appealing to me.

But I'm confused about the difference between the "regular" Ripstick 96 and the "black edition." This Ski Essentials page says that the difference is ONLY cosmetic. ("the Ripstick Black Edition is a twin of the Ripstick 96, just with a special graphic") This does not square with either their pricing - the black is more expensive - or what I have read elsewhere, which says that the black has more ... something. @SkiEssentials, what say you? Meanwhile, hand-flexing the skis reveals that both the regular and the black are very soft, as @James has posted elsewhere recently. Can someone in addition to Eric speak authoritatively on the differences between the two editions?

What about the 18/19 vs. 19/20?

That description is, well, wrong. It's going to get changed momentarily. Different construction. It's been traditionally a little difficult to get the nitty gritty details of construction differences from Elan (they're working on it, though), but I believe it's just more carbon.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Elan themselves have been saying for half a year the difference is an extra layer of carbon fiber on top of the wood core to add a touch of dampening, stiffness and rigidity. Topsheet different too of course.

So it would still be very similar to the regular RipStick models but a hair damper and stiffer. Weight wouldn’t change much though.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm curious as to how carbon is associated with dampening. It's kind of the opposite usually.

Definitely one should try that ski, could be very fun.

James

Out There
Instructor
He's not getting them. That is, not until Seg Brown buys a pair;)
The 174 is short for Seg. That ski is soft.
Hey, I tried to get him to demo them, he did ask Pinnacle/ski essentials in Stowe. They sold their demos.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 174 is short for Seg. That ski is soft.
Hey, I tried to get him to demo them, he did ask Pinnacle/ski essentials in Stowe. They sold their demos.
Again, you are not SEG, and good golly you don't really expect him to go as long as her do you;)

Sponsor

Staff online