• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Elan is Back in Black... again

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Elan wasn't on my radar for years (decade). I changed my mind. I would like to try some.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took a flyer on a pair of Wingman 82s last season and I love them. I'll admit to having slowed down a bit in the last few years, and it turns out that it's really fun having a ski that comes alive at 15-20 mph, rather than 40.

I am VERY tempted by the Ripstick 96 Black.

Dang it, I swore no new alpine skis this year -- for no good reason! :ogbiggrin:

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
I wish they’d get some shorter lengths out. I’d buy immediately. Have the 21 88 which is a GREAT frontside ski but would like a bit more to it for when the slopes get skied out. I’d half consider buying the 106 Black too.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish they’d get some shorter lengths out. I’d buy immediately. Have the 21 88 which is a GREAT frontside ski but would like a bit more to it for when the slopes get skied out. I’d half consider buying the 106 Black too.

FWIW, the Wingmans ski a bit short in feel. Perhaps because of their very light swing weight. My 178s feel like significantly "less" ski than my 177 Head Titans.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
FWIW, the Wingmans ski a bit short in feel. Perhaps because of their very light swing weight. My 178s feel like significantly "less" ski than my 177 Head Titans.

I’m 5’6 and hit the half century mark, so I don’t feel the need to run longer skis like I used to.

Fleece82

Booting up
Skier
This has also peaked my interest! Im looking for a good east coast do it all ski with a bias towards ripping up groomers. This may be the ticket!

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
This has also peaked my interest! Im looking for a good east coast do it all ski with a bias towards ripping up groomers. This may be the ticket!

I wouldn't describe the Ripstick as a bias toward ripping up groomers. More like a bias toward off piste, but still holds its own on groomers. The Enforcer probably fits that bill better. But to me, I love the Ripsticks because they are so light and playful that I'm OK with the groomer performance.

If they make the 88 in a black edition... watch it... that would be a game changer.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
I wouldn't describe the Ripstick as a bias toward ripping up groomers. More like a bias toward off piste, but still holds its own on groomers. The Enforcer probably fits that bill better. But to me, I love the Ripsticks because they are so light and playful that I'm OK with the groomer performance.

If they make the 88 in a black edition... watch it... that would be a game changer.

I don’t necessarily agree. I’ve got both 21 enforcer 94 and 21 Ripstick 88 (demoed 21 96 for a few days). Don’t see a huge on/off piste difference in perf. If anything it’s more snow condition related. Enforcer is damper and runs through anything whereas need to pick line bit more carefully with the Ripstick. Both hold an edge equally well on everything I’ve come across. Off piste Ripstick may smear a hair better than the enforcer and float at slightly slower speeds due to the wider shovel vs the enforcer.

Funnily (I guess pun intended) I find myself smiling more when I ski the Ripstick. Good chance I’ll grab a 96 Black as soon as my size becomes available.

Totally agree a 88 black could be a very interesting proposition. However, dimensionally when you compare the 88 vs 96 Ripstick esp in the smaller sizes, there isn’t a big difference between the two, so net net might be nothing for some skiers.

Last edited:

Fleece82

Booting up
Skier
I pulled the trigger on the new ripstick 96 black edition. OMG!!...couldn't be happier! I think it's going to be a GREAT east coast do it all ski!! I've only been on it twice. We haven't had snow in a few weeks, a few thaw and freeze cycles, touch of rain. So conditions have been frozen over hardpack with a little man made on top. A bit cruddy in places. These things absolutely ripped in those conditions! Can't wait till next year when we have some fresh snow!

They are DECEPTIVELY fast! Spent the day cruising and ripping blues and the one open "black", which is basically a long blue. Wasn't pushing it or trying to race down the hill. Just casual medium turns with some short and long arcs mixed in. My ski app had me consistently in the low 50mph range but felt like 30's. They are amazingly smooth, stable, and damp but still give great energy if u load em up and want it! Also FANTASTIC edge hold!

Big 2 thumbs up to Elan!

Last edited:

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Gah they need to come out with shorter sizes asap. Def grabbing 96s for front range and 106s (for Targhee/Jackson/Big sky trips).

Last edited:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ That 96 / 106 has been my set up for the past two years now, especially enjoying the 106s. Elan has been flying below everyone’s radar for a while, fun ski, stupid east to pilot.
Do you guys have any idea how different the Black 96 skis from the newest RS 96 not black? I'm 5'8" 150 so dont really need anything to stiff

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Lookin like stumpy sizes not out until summer. :huh: Where the love @elan? Personal bias aside, imo a LMR be limited in quantity, not sizes. Allows product folks to triangulate feedback better.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice review Ski Essentials. My groomer ski is the 88xti - 178cm and my off piste, little powder - up to say 10 inches is the Green Ripstick 96 181cm. Love both these skis and in reading the Black 96 info. am sure tempted, For those who live in powder country the 96's are a really great ski and you should go try them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you guys have any idea how different the Black 96 skis from the newest RS 96 not black? I'm 5'8" 150 so dont really need anything to stiff

See post 2. The Skiessentials review goes into the differences in detail.

Sponsor

Staff online