• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Elan Ripstick 106 fans?

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm narrowing my wider but do it almost all ski and this one came up with good reviews but I typed it in the search with no results. Any skiers here riding it?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No Ripstick, but I've got a pair of Wingmans that ski really, really well.

But.....I'd never buy another amphibio ski. When I inevitably ding an inside edge, I want to make it my new outside edge, and amphibio precludes that.

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I demoed these last year in Aspen a day after 7" of snow fell. They got deflected in chop and really got pushed around on anything other than blower pow or groomers.

I'd look at Rossignol Sender 104 Ti or Nordica Enforcer 104 Free. These two skis make pretty much any condition easy to ski and have no speed limits. They plow (Nordica) or cut (Rossi) through pretty much anything with crazy stability and absolute ease, are maneuverable and easy to release and slash, but they also somehow manage to completely rail on hardpack and float easily throw the soft, dry stuff.

Last edited:
TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I demoed these last year in Aspen a day after 7" of snow fell. They got deflected in chop and really got pushed around on anything other than blower pow or groomers.

I'd look at Rossignol Sender 104 Ti or Nordica Enforcer 104 Free. These two skis make pretty much any condition easy to ski and have no speed limits. They plow (Nordica) or cut (Rossi) through pretty much anything with crazy stability and absolute ease, are maneuverable and easy to release and slash, but they also somehow manage to completely rail on hardpack and float easily throw the soft, dry stuff.
Great info, there was a smokin deal on a pair but last thing I wanna do is drop $ on something that does not kill.

So here is a question, to get better at powder do I need a lighter shorter ski to float or? Current powder do all ski is the Mantra M6
In Calif most of our powder days are heavy wet snow like right now.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the Ripstick 106 and it has worked very well for me. Plenty of float in powder, playful in the trees (lot of taper in tips and tails), and haven't felt pushed around in it. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs though. A heavier skier may feel otherwise as the RipStick is relatively lightweight for its size.

I think Ski Essentials did a good job reviewing the ski. https://www.skiessentials.com/2022-ski-test/skis/2022-elan-ripstick-106/

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the Ripstick 106 and it has worked very well for me. Plenty of float in powder, playful in the trees (lot of taper in tips and tails), and haven't felt pushed around in it. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs though. A heavier skier may feel otherwise as the RipStick is relatively lightweight for its size.

I think Ski Essentials did a good job reviewing the ski. https://www.skiessentials.com/2022-ski-test/skis/2022-elan-ripstick-106/
What length did you ski it?

I saw SE's video review andgot more exited especially when they said it carved better on a higher edge. But i would be getting it for a Powder ski

Last edited:

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I got the 180, which was a size below the longest. I tend to head over the trees looking for softer snow and prefer skis in this size for better maneuverability. Given my weight/height l, I feel going with the longest size would take away from the ski. As for the edge hold, I was positively surprised for a ski this size, but I rarely use it on groomers.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
We are usually skiing part of a groomer to get to the powder in Calif unless it's a day like today! Thanks for the replies :D

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
I have skied the 96 & 106 for the last 5 or so years, and it's tough to go wrong with either. I have bounced back & forth between 180 & 188, but have settled with the 188 again, as the Ripsticks do measure notably short. (I'm 6', 200 LB) I prefer the Black Edition, but the "regulars" are GREAT skis as well, and do have an upper "speed limit" to them. Also a huge fan of the Wingman CTi - running them in 82 & 86.

Elan makes some amazing boards, and glad they're finally getting some recognition again.

NaughtyClaus

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
No Ripstick, but I've got a pair of Wingmans that ski really, really well.

But.....I'd never buy another amphibio ski. When I inevitably ding an inside edge, I want to make it my new outside edge, and amphibio precludes that.
True There is that. But it's pretty easy to get a quick tune done

NaughtyClaus

Skier
I'm narrowing my wider but do it almost all ski and this one came up with good reviews but I typed it in the search with no results. Any skiers here riding it?
I have the OG 106 set up with a shift and love it. But it is part of a quiver. I save it for soft snow, powder and touring.
I'm 5'10" 195 lbs expert level. I have the 188. For big powder days I had last years bent chetler 120 184 cm, and a rustler 11 188 cm. I find the ripstick the best of the 3 for groomers and for the chopped up end of day powder. Fwiw I ski regularly at Powderking in BC and usually get at least 8-10 days with 20+ cm powder a season.
I wouldn't want the 106 Rippy for a firm groomer day. Cheers

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
At 150 lbs, some years ago, I demoed he Ripstick 96 in its second-longest length. It seemed to be the best compromise between groomer, bumps and deep snow trees. Sure, once you get over 50 mph it feels a little rickety, but it still goes exactly where you want it to (not like some shorter radius skis all-mountain skis) and it doesn't try to turn tighter and smear if you tip it sufficiently to carve a fast turn. Maybe the Black edition (haven't tried that one) 96 is the ticket.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True There is that. But it's pretty easy to get a quick tune done

Certainly, my experience is admittedly colored by some rare misfortune.

Day 1 on the Wingmans I managed to get a small core shot right on the edge that 3 separate shops have been unable to patch in a manner that holds.

And that's never before happened to me, but dang, it's annoying!

NaughtyClaus

Skier
Certainly, my experience is admittedly colored by some rare misfortune.

Day 1 on the Wingmans I managed to get a small core shot right on the edge that 3 separate shops have been unable to patch in a manner that holds.

And that's never before happened to me, but dang, it's annoying!
Ahhh bummer. Now I understand better.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I grabbed a pair of Ripstick 106 Black Editions (I'm 5'11", 180 and went with the 180s) on sale end of last year that I couldn't pass up on the deal. I have only skied them twice this year, both pow days at Northstar. Early impressions are they are awesome soft snow skis for directional skiers. Had tons of fun in soft chop and bumps. They did great floating in the lighter powder we had in December and the wetter powder a week or so ago. Tips did a nice job staying up. Unlike the rave reviews, however, I didn't find them to be great at railing down groomers or to be super damp metal-like on a couple of icy cut-up runs (one having a man-made base). For my intended use (soft snow/packed powder and resort pow days in Tahoe rather than daily drivers) they seem to fit the bill so far.

Last edited:
TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I grabbed a pair of Ripstick 106 Black Editions (I'm 5'11", 180 and went with the 180s) on sale end of last year that I couldn't pass up on the deal. I have only skied them twice this year, both pow days at Northstar. Early impressions are they are awesome soft snow skis for directional skiers. Had tons of fun in soft chop and bumps. They did great floating in the lighter powder we had in December and the wetter powder a week or so ago. Tips did a nice job staying up. Unlike the rave reviews, however, I didn't find them to be great at railing down groomers or to be super damp metal-like on a couple of icy cut-up runs (one having a man-made base). For my intended use (soft snow/packed powder and resort pow days in Tahoe rather than daily drivers) they seem to fit the bill so far.
Good to know. What skis do you like for all the powder conditions AND to rails on groomers?

I demoed some Enforcer 100's and liked them. Faster edge to edge and way better off trail than my Mantras but no where near as powerful. The search goes on!

NaughtyClaus

Skier
Good to know. What skis do you like for all the powder conditions AND to rails on groomers?

I demoed some Enforcer 100's and liked them. Faster edge to edge and way better off trail than my Mantras but no where near as powerful. The search goes on!
agree with the enforcer 100 vs mantra. I have demod the enforcer 100 and own a mantra m5. Loved the enforcer 100. I bought an enforcer 88.

cbryant

Skier
I got the 106 black editions for this season. Great ski. I skied the Nordica Enforcer 104 free for my ski in that width of the quiver before these. While I really like the 104 free’s but I wanted something a little lighter (I have Shifts mounted on them for a little backcountry). I can definitely throw the Elan’s around easier. The 104s are more damp and feel better going 55mph but the 106BEs are strong skis in their own right. They also carve better. I was impressed by how well they do when turned up on an edge. They do ski a little short. Float is good. They have a wide shovel. I ski 2022 Rossi Exp 86TIs for my groomer skis.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Got another light pow day in yesterday at Northstar. Had a blast on the Ripsticks 106 BEs in everything that was soft... making fresh tracks, skiing soft cut up runs, chopped up/soft crud, soft bumps and in the trees. Very maneuverable in the bumps and in the trees. I also found that per the reviews, these skis like to be on edge on groomers. I felt a lot better carving with them yesterday versus the first two days by driving the tips more and getting my edge angle up. This helped with the harder/packed groomers that got chopped up later in the day, but still were a bit jarring going over the more packed, skied out groomers when not on edge. The trade-off with the carbon construction vs traditional metal is the rougher feeling groomer experience, but having the light swing weight later in the day when your legs are tired. These are now locked in as my resort pow skis.