• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Elan Ripstick 116

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Has anybody skied this ski? What do you think, it's quit light. There is a lot of technology going on in it. After enjoying the Peak 98, built in the Elan factory, I started looking at their skis and this one really intrigues me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I were looking for a light pow ski, I'd pass on the Amphibio tech in the Elan, as well as the forward mount point. The Mindbender 116 would appeal to me in that arena, as I love my MB 108s (which are much heavier, with a couple of metal layers or some such).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I were looking for a light pow ski, I'd pass on the Amphibio tech in the Elan, as well as the forward mount point. The Mindbender 116 would appeal to me in that arena, as I love my MB 108s (which are much heavier, with a couple of metal layers or some such).
Agree on the Amphibio, at least for me also.

The K2 MB 116s are playful and fun in powder, but get tossed too much for me in crud.
I think they are a take on the 'Bent Chet series, and a stab at that popularity - but
not as playful as the fatter Bent Chets (which also get tossed too much for my liking,
but are so incredible otherwise.).

Because of all that, many folks drawn to those K2 and Atomic skis seem to be interested in the K2 Reckoner 112 instead.
I know my K2 friend has shifted to that 112 ski, especially for soft snow trees.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The K2 116s are playful and fun in powder, but get tossed too much for me in crud.

Yup, the MB 108s positively SLAY crud (and plane better than my old Ranger 115s).

I'm a pure resort skier and that's all the wider that I personally need.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tom have you skied the Elan? I have a mindbender 108 eh. My Ranget 102 FR is a significantly better ski for me. By the way I picked up the new Ranger 108 in my quiver it has far better float, groomer, chop, speed.... everything than the 108TI, you should check it out if you haven't.

But I do think the 108TI is a nice ski.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not to be .... let's please focus this thread on the question at hand. Has anybody skied the Elan Ripstick 116 if so what do they think?

OriginalDayWlkr

Impossible is nothing...
Skier
Not to be .... let's please focus this thread on the question at hand. Has anybody skied the Elan Ripstick 116 if so what do they think?
I picked them up a few years back. Only ski'd them 2x out of my last 150+ days on the hill. Used them this year following a 18"+ heavy/wet storm, and wished I had my Stockli SR 105's. My experience has not been a good one, but maybe you will have better luck. I find they tend to get pushed around/deflected when skiing anything other than the lightest snow. If you like to charge the hill and ski with speed, there are better/more enjoyable options. If you are skiing uncut/wide open bowls w/no bottom - they would be more fun.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few years ago is how long ago? The current version came out in 2021 and is quite a bit different than the prior version.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tom have you skied the Elan? I have a mindbender 108 eh. My Ranget 102 FR is a significantly better ski for me. By the way I picked up the new Ranger 108 in my quiver it has far better float, groomer, chop, speed.... everything than the 108TI, you should check it out if you haven't.

But I do think the 108TI is a nice ski.

So I'm a purely directional skier. Purely. So it says something that I think the key to MB 108ti greatness is mounting at +1. In any event, my 108s come out seldom enough that they will probably be my resort pow ski for the rest of my life, esp since I've got a pair in reserve through a weird twist of fate.

On Topic: I'll be interested in your Ripstick 116 impressions. Does the new version still have a very forward mount point? Still the (despised by me) Amphibio technology?

BTW I think you misspelled "Rangette" up there. ;)

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I'm a purely directional skier. Purely. So it says something that I think the key to MB 108ti greatness is mounting at +1. In any event, my 108s come out seldom enough that they will probably be my resort pow ski for the rest of my life, esp since I've got a pair in reserve through a weird twist of fate.

On Topic: I'll be interested in your Ripstick 116 impressions. Does the new version still have a very forward mount point? Still the (despised by me) Amphibio technology?

BTW I think you misspelled "Rangette" up there. ;)
I to am a directional skier. When I bought the MB 108 I demo’d the 187 and liked it a lot, it was stable a speed with good float. But I found it to be slow and ponderous. So I went with the 179 which was quick and fun but not great at speed and didn’t float particularly well. So the 108s went to one of the kids (who now has decided he is not fond of them). That’s why I say it’s a nice ski, but not a nice ski for me. Hence the vast superiority of the 102FR and Ranger 108 (both 185) for me. For me they do everything better than the MB 108.

As for the Elans, it is a flyer. All the tech going on in these skis intrigues me. The asymmetrical design doesn’t scare me (I have the asymmetrical Billy Goats and love them). Plus some new in the box Attack 14s sitting in the closet. I had 2 pairs of skis, Fischer 86GT (replaced by Kastle MX83 as my “groomer” ski) and a pair of DPS Foundation 106CTs (flyer purchase that was eh) that I knew I wasn’t going to ski any more. So trade at Powder 7 plus $60 and the Elans are in my Expedition.

As for the Ripstick mount point. The marking on the side have a 0 point then indicators of +/- 1,2,3 Forward and back. I contacted Elan and was told anywhere in that range works with the design. The 0 point is 50/50, go forward for “park oriented” back for float. According to Blister the 0 point is -5.35 on the 193, I have not yet put the tape measure to the 185s. Presumably about the same. I will definitely mount back 2 or 3 but I want to measure out waist width and think about how it all fits together. It’s a totally different ski for me as I generally prefer heavier. i figure at worst this will give me a nice contrast in the inventory, at best they will be a really fun powder ski that I pull out before the Billy Goats or the Ranger 108s.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus some new in the box Attack 14s sitting in the closet.

I could take these off your hands, and you wouldn't feel compelled to buy a new pair of skis! ;)

I read up a bit on the Ranger 108s and I bet that I would love them. But I love the MB108s more than any other resort pow ski I've owned, and only ski them 5-7 days a year here. The 186s did feel a bit ponderous until I slid them forward to +1.

The Amphibio thing doesn't scare me, it pi$$es me off. I've got a pair of Wingman 82tis that I core shot on day one. Inside edge of course. Nobody can quite get a patch to stick. Any other ski, it would become the outside edge, but Amphibio prohibits this.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Amphibio thing doesn't scare me, it pi$$es me off. I've got a pair of Wingman 82tis that I core shot on day one. Inside edge of course. Nobody can quite get a patch to stick. Any other ski, it would become the outside edge, but Amphibio prohibits this.
Ahhh personal animus! ;)

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Took some initial measurements on the skis. First Elans apparently run quite short as compared to their stated length. The 185 is 181ish on a straight tape pull and 182.5 on a pull along the bottom surface. That is quite a bit a mold shrinkage. The good thing, both skis are identical in lengths. Second is weight. I am limited in this regard as my small scale only goes to 2,000 grams. Both skis go over the limit, consequently i can't verify weight other than both over 2,000 grams which is fair bit more than the stated 1,900 +/- 50. i'll get them on the bench after skiing this afternoon.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mounted.

69750179009__CE24BD89-93D9-4663-AEB2-4270861C9464.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I to am a directional skier. When I bought the MB 108 I demo’d the 187 and liked it a lot, it was stable a speed with good float. But I found it to be slow and ponderous. So I went with the 179 which was quick and fun but not great at speed and didn’t float particularly well. So the 108s went to one of the kids (who now has decided he is not fond of them). That’s why I say it’s a nice ski, but not a nice ski for me. Hence the vast superiority of the 102FR and Ranger 108 (both 185) for me. For me they do everything better than the MB 108.

As for the Elans, it is a flyer. All the tech going on in these skis intrigues me. The asymmetrical design doesn’t scare me (I have the asymmetrical Billy Goats and love them). Plus some new in the box Attack 14s sitting in the closet. I had 2 pairs of skis, Fischer 86GT (replaced by Kastle MX83 as my “groomer” ski) and a pair of DPS Foundation 106CTs (flyer purchase that was eh) that I knew I wasn’t going to ski any more. So trade at Powder 7 plus $60 and the Elans are in my Expedition.

As for the Ripstick mount point. The marking on the side have a 0 point then indicators of +/- 1,2,3 Forward and back. I contacted Elan and was told anywhere in that range works with the design. The 0 point is 50/50, go forward for “park oriented” back for float. According to Blister the 0 point is -5.35 on the 193, I have not yet put the tape measure to the 185s. Presumably about the same. I will definitely mount back 2 or 3 but I want to measure out waist width and think about how it all fits together. It’s a totally different ski for me as I generally prefer heavier. i figure at worst this will give me a nice contrast in the inventory, at best they will be a really fun powder ski that I pull out before the Billy Goats or the Ranger 108s.

I would mount as far to the rear as they suggest. Forward mounts are just not great for powder and / or steep terrain.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mounted back 3cm from the "Ride" mark, 82.5cm on a tape pull from the tail. Results in a mount point of about -8.5ish from true center.

Sponsor

Staff online