• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Elan Ripstick 116

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied the Ripsticks today. Up top there was 4"/5" inches of new, at least, plus windblow which made for nice clean lines. Heavyish snow. The Ripsticks are a blast. Very turny, very easy to turn. Handled the heavyish snow great. However it would not be my choice for heavy wet snow. Very good on soft groomers for a ski that is 114 underfoot. Easy to set an edge and turn them over into a carve. It is light so it does get knocked around a bit in the rough stuff. You need to stay on your game and ski the conditions. The alternative is the lightweight which in combination with how stiff they are makes them so darn much fun. Jeff at Ski Essentials was spot on in his review of this ski.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Quandary, I regret I only found this thread today, but glad to read you seem to be enjoying the skis!

As you’ve noticed, not a lot of folks own these! I’ve been on my 193 Ripstick 116’s (OG green/black topsheets) for 3 years. I ski Whistler ~30 days/year and these are my only ski. I’m 6’1, 175 lbs, 43 years old. I have mine mounted at the factory line, so 5.35cm from center. I don’t ski switch and had never skied a ski even remotely so center-mounted before, and it did force me to adapt my style and stance, if only slightly, to be a bit more neutral. The result? Nothing but fun.

As you've written, this ski isn't a burly crud-buster and it is prone to deflection, so I've resultantly found myself adopting a more active, finesse-y style with these. The tradeoff, of course, is it’s heaps of fun in the trees and the deep. And it must be said, I’ve found it remarkably good at carving the groomers – so much so that, again, I’ve been happy using the 116 all over the mountain and on any day.

With all that said, after 3 years of dutiful service as my only ski, I’m now on the hunt to add something a touch narrower and with a bit more backbone, for when it hasn’t snowed in a while, and I’m charging (or my version of charging, ha). Lots of demoing to do, but frontrunner would be something like an Enforcer, Mindbender, or Ranger.

But that’s not to discount the Ripsticks in any way; they’re about as versatile and fun as a 116mm (technically 114mm, according to Blister) has any right to be. Hope you get as many happy miles out of yours as I’ve gotten out of mine.

Last edited:
TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also have the Fischer Ranger 108 and Ranger 102FR (replaced by current Ranger 102). The 108 is a big ski and more stout than the Ripstick 116. Used the Ripstick today at Sun Valley in 20" new. Tomorrow will be the Ranger 108s. Probably would use the 102FRs but didn't bring them on the trip I'm on.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
I also have the Fischer Ranger 108 and Ranger 102FR (replaced by current Ranger 102). The 108 is a big ski and more stout than the Ripstick 116. Used the Ripstick today at Sun Valley in 20" new. Tomorrow will be the Ranger 108s. Probably would use the 102FRs but didn't bring them on the trip I'm on.
Right on. I'm curious - does your 102 FR feel like a narrower version of your 108, or is the 108 noticeably more stout?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used the Ripstick today at Sun Valley in 20" new.

You mean this day at Sun Valley?! What a day!

IMG_3619.JPEG

PM me if you want to meet up for a quick run in the sun tomorrow (or some storm skiing Saturday).

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep! I don't know where that snow stake is but there was a lot more than 14"!! We meet up with a ski patroller friend yesterday helped put up fences and signs, skied some clean groomers then headed down to Snowbasin. First time I've been to Sun Valley. Its a great hill

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Right on. I'm curious - does your 102 FR feel like a narrower version of your 108, or is the 108 noticeably more stout?
The 102FR is definitely a different ski. Stiffer and much better all a rounder. The 108 is more big snow ski than not. It is ok on groomers but nothing like the 102FR. I would not choose the 108 as an everyday ski, while I would have no problem with the 102FR 80% of ski days. They are both very good skis but fit different aspects of a quiver.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have skied the Ripstick 106 Black Edition a few days now. What a great ski. Amazing carver on groomed runs for a 106 underfoot ski. So far it does everything I ask of it. There are a lot of similarities as you would expect with the 116 but a stouter although lightweight ski. Look at the Ski Essentials review if you want I detailed review of the ski, I agree with everything they say. This ski could easily fill the role of a one ski quiver in the Rockies.

Sponsor

Staff online