• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Elan Ripstick 96 Black edition-Compare 2020 vs 2021-22 skis

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have info. to compare 2020 Black ripstick with the 2021-2022 edition. Difference in price about $150-200. I ski on 19-20 green 96 rips now and like ski but have read some reviews of the black 21-22 and am tempted to buy. ME: 79yrs, 190lbs, 50yrs on the snow, ski about everything but really like powder/trees. Yep am 79yrs but would say I am an advanced skier. Comments appreciated.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here’s a video review on the 2022 version and they talk about the differences between the old and new ones around the 6 min mark. Should be a bit more damp and powerful vs your existing skis and even the previous Black versions. Up to you if it’s worth the $800 vs $500 price difference.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have info. to compare 2020 Black ripstick with the 2021-2022 edition. Difference in price about $150-200. I ski on 19-20 green 96 rips now and like ski but have read some reviews of the black 21-22 and am tempted to buy. ME: 79yrs, 190lbs, 50yrs on the snow, ski about everything but really like powder/trees. Yep am 79yrs but would say I am an advanced skier. Comments appreciated.
Cant comment on the 2022 black but I did just but the 21 black and skied 2 days so far. I'm 5'8" 150 and they are super light, I assume somewhat stiff? All I know is that after my first run down an intermediate run it was as if I've skied these things for 20 days. Easy to ski, edge grip was real good for a hard packed run.

It was hard as rock from 8-9, great conditions from 9-10:30 then slushy after that. I'd give these skis a 9/10(so far). I need more time to get more of a good review

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks guys. Right now I ski on groomers with my Elan 88xti 180 and off piste/trees/powder with my Ripstick 96 181cm (greenies). Sure tempted to get the new black/96. All the reviews are good.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied the ‘21 RS88 for most of last season on the CO front range due to snowfall for most of the season. Had a blast on it. Most fun ski I’ve been on in a long time. Just bought the 2022 106 Black. Waiting for the 96 Black in my size.

I’m looking forward to the ski being more damp than my 88. I also think the tip to tail carbon on the inside edge of the ski and full width carbon underfoot will make it a bit more responsive and have better edge hold.

Iirc according to the SE review/video (full disclosure haven’t watched in a while), it’s less flexy vs standard RS, but not by a lot. Can see hand flex in the video. I don’t know if I’d qualify even the RS Black as a powerful ski vs say dual metal and more camber or like a Head Kore.

I’m going mostly all in on Ripsticks this coming season. 88 for early/late season, 96 and 106 Black for most days, Rustler 11 and Bent Chet 120 for the deep stuff.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm wavering between a Ripstick 96 Black and a Ranger 94FR; little bit concerned the Ripstick may be too light in chop/crud.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know if I’d qualify even the RS Black as a powerful ski vs say dual metal and more camber or like a Head Kore.
Correct, overall.

On paper there are a lot of similarities between the Kore (93) and the Ripsticks. Based on experience with the 19-20 RS Black 96, on snow not so much. The Head relies a lot on pre-shaped tips to get its stiff forebody into the turn. The Elan has much softer tips and in general relies more on flex to shape the turn. (Probably much different behavior in crud for this reason.)

Conversely the Ripstick is very rigid torsionally and carves like nobody's business. Better than the Kore to my taste. In this sense the Elan is a more powerful ski than it seems in the shop. Ymmv.

The snow feel is definitely much quieter than yesterday's no-metal skis. But it doesn't feel like a metal ski. If you need that feel get something with metal; it can't be faked.

I have not been on the newest generation.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Correct, overall.

On paper there are a lot of similarities between the Kore (93) and the Ripsticks. Based on experience with the 19-20 RS Black 96, on snow not so much. The Head relies a lot on pre-shaped tips to get its stiff forebody into the turn. The Elan has much softer tips and in general relies more
on flex to shape the turn. (Probably much different behavior in crud for this reason.)

Conversely the Ripstick is very rigid torsionally and carves like nobody's business. Better than the Kore to my taste. In this sense the Elan is a more powerful ski than it seems in the shop. Ymmv.

The snow feel is definitely much quieter than yesterday's no-metal skis. But it doesn't feel like a metal ski. If you need that feel get something with metal; it can't be faked.

I have not been on the newest generation.

How did you like the black in the powder?

Jim and Tony did you get to ski the 96 black in the powder ?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Pete, I haven't skied the 96 black at all, or the Ranger 94. Couldn't find a demo of either ski last season; just going on reviews, especially the Blister comps vs the Enforcer 100 which I've been on for three seasons.
I'm looking for something a bit narrower and quicker than the E100, and it's come down to those two.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi Jim, I have the 96 green riipstick 1919-20 and really like them. They are a great ski for variable snow and accessing powder stashes via. lifts, best, most fun ski I have skied on groomers to access powder. If I go cat skiing, heli (which I don't do much anymore) I have some Praxis Protests for serious powder Just readinf the re views on the blacks and thinking why not. Hope you are fine. Ought to be crazy Olympics without spectators. My best, Pete

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Thanks for the beta, Pete. PM'd you also.