• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Epic Pass Poll

How will the drop in Epic Pass prices influence your pass purchase with Vail Resorts?

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My mind has been percolating regarding the ongoing discussion about the Epic Pass mystery March 23rd announcement, and the official press release, which confirmed a 20% reduction in pass prices as well as day ticket prices for the 2021-2022 season.

Vail actually proclaims "Epic for everyone." but what does that mean for your "Epic" experience?
Quotes from discussion thread indicate that the drop in pass prices are a turn off to some skiers with the mindset that the lift lines will be crazy bad, and perhaps a different pass that doesn't have a drop in price is more desirable.

On the plus side, if Ikon does not lower prices maybe it will just drive everyone to Stevens and relieve the pressure on Crystal and Alpental :roflmao:

I'd buy a full Ikon Pass in a heartbeat if they keep the prices high and let Epic undercut them. But I somehow doubt that's what happen. Ikon moved first last year and Epic one-upped them with Epic Coverage to the point that they had to respond. I expect something similar this year.

Others indicate that there won't be much of a difference in people on the hill even if more people buy passes, because most people have a limited amount of time they can ski anyway.
I don't think a 20% lower pass cost will not automatically equate to a 20% increase in people on the hill....maybe 5-10% at the most and that will be at peaks. I think it will turn more day ticket buyers into pass holder but I don't see those day skiers number increasing. it was mentioned earlier that the average skier skis might increase slightly.
Whether the lower prices increase people on the mountain will be dependent on where those people live. My brother is a one week a year skier from the Midwest. I will convince him to buy a pass because at this price it is cheaper than day tickets or advance purchase tickets. He won’t make another trip because he has a pass. People who live near skiing but usually only ski a few days a year MAY increase their days.

Others say it won't make a difference in their plans because they ski mid week, and their personal ski patterns won't be influenced.

As a retired senior I can only speak to midweek days at Heavenly and Kirkwood where I've never seen a line this season longer than maybe 12 minutes

Sooooo, lets take a poll.

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One more option needed: Deferred IKON/no Epic

We have deferred IKON passes and will get those for next year along with our local hill pass. Future years Epic may be an option.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
One more option needed: I buy a non-Epic local pass and the Epic price reduction won't affect me.

There are no Epic pass ski areas near me.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I added an option that is a bit more basic. I'm not an Epic passholder and don't plan on buying one.

This thread is specific to the influence of the price drop from Epic resorts.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Im the one that changed my vote - my gut reaction was "negative" but then rationalized we dont ski when "others" typically ski. ie. weekends/holidays. Epic Local works just fine and its cheaper now. 10 days at Vail for $58.30 per day with some other free stuff thrown in - all good.

Would have been nice to get an email though, as a passholder from back when it was the "Colorado Locals Pass" and you had to buy it physically in CO (still have same email address), might have been nice. email isnt hard.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Would have been nice to get an email though, as a passholder from back when it was the "Colorado Locals Pass" and you had to buy it physically in CO (still have same email address), might have been nice. email isnt hard.
Lol sending 1million emails is slightly hard. It maybe coming over a couple days. If a company sends an extra million emails out of the blue, they get flagged as spam and the majority of the emails don't arrive.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I won't buy an Epic Pass but I might by 1-2 days on the day pass thing which I don't really consider a pass. My family has a place in Eagle-Vail and they ski Vail. It would be nice to ski with them once or twice. I can stomach $100 per day. I cannot stomach $200+ per day.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's a good deal for people who want it but an Epic pass just doesn't really work for me. The places I like to and want to ski are mostly on the Ikon pass. Even the gatherings are geared toward Ikon.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Lol sending 1million emails is slightly hard. It maybe coming over a couple days. If a company sends an extra million emails out of the blue, they get flagged as spam and the majority of the emails don't arrive.

I'll give them a pass (bad pun) but they certainly don't have the slightest trouble emailing me the conditions, when reservations are available for the coming week, etc. Maybe prioritize by "length of relationship" or "$'s spent" etc. Everything runs through the pass.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I won't buy an Epic Pass but I might by 1-2 days on the day pass thing which I don't really consider a pass. My family has a place in Eagle-Vail and they ski Vail. It would be nice to ski with them once or twice. I can stomach $100 per day. I cannot stomach $200+ per day.

Except on further review of fine print - that might not work:

"This new option provides access to all of our North American resorts with the exception of Whistler Blackcomb, Vail, Beaver Creak, Breckenridge and Park City".

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Flawed poll - nothing for External factors like (post?) Covid travel will decide my intention

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll give them a pass (bad pun) but they certainly don't have the slightest trouble emailing me the conditions, when reservations are available for the coming week, etc. Maybe prioritize by "length of relationship" or "$'s spent" etc. Everything runs through the pass.

lol, given the bombshell news, it seems their queue-it limits starting to get hit; so maybe they're holding back the email blasts to spread the website load out a bit.
The last thing they want is for valued passholder like you to get stuck in the queue and have a bad website experience.
If it's "Epic for Everyone" no special privilege to longterm relationship or any benefit to get on the website 1st minute anyway.

Besides, you've signed up for "Autorenew" anyway, so you don't need to do anything, right? ? :roflmao:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Except on further review of fine print - that might not work:

"This new option provides access to all of our North American resorts with the exception of Whistler Blackcomb, Vail, Beaver Creak, Breckenridge and Park City".

Where are you seeing that? Their FAQs on the website say it does work at those resorts.

1616605553425.png

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I answered that I am renewing but my pass, while with Vail, is only for my local area on weekdays, not a real Epic pass. It's still 20% off from last year, though.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler's Local Senior's Season Pass also dropped 20%, it was was a good deal before, now it's better.
I may even go full Epic if a few of the other areas I ski north of the border are included, will if a southern road trip is in the cards
Math is always involved.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Well, until Vail sees fit to sell Stowe to some non-Vail entity (AIG? :rolleyes: ), I'm sort of stuck being Epic passes.

In my experience, no other mountain in the Northeast has the right combination of snow and terrain (and I realize others have differing opinions in that regard). I'll have to see what the crowd situation is, but I have trouble imagining how they would park more cars into their lots given the geographic realities. Maybe I underestimate the creativity of the Vail parking managers...

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Several friends we ski with are veterans or active duty, and they always pick Epic.... so likely we get Epic to ski with them.