• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Epic Pass Poll

How will the drop in Epic Pass prices influence your pass purchase with Vail Resorts?

• Total voters

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
*cough* Sunapee *cough*

Crotched is also pretty close by; neither Crotched or Sunapee offers much in the way of challenge though. I've been to both with friends; they're fun for a day of arcing groomers.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Putting 3 or 4 strangers on a 6 pack or even 2 on a quad chairs is in direct violation of 6' spacing and staying in your family or household bubble. So why would ski resorts be allowed to do this?

At Sun Peaks this season there is no singles line as singles go in the main corral entrance and ride by themselves.
Pretty much the reason I stopped going after three days. Didn't quite get my Epic Pass money's worth so I'm done with them.

If the line was short it would be one at each end. As soon as it backed up (most of the day) they tried to move the line along by just filling seats.
In Summit and Eagle Counties (and I presume CB too) a smart single goes to the main corral and declines singles as they pass the singles line. VR will try to get riders to buddy up to fill up to the mandated max, but won't try to force anyone to take strangers with them. The 6' spacing is not required in CO for ski lift riders, I presume either as a blatant sop to business, or because you are outdoors and moving at a good clip, thus judged to be equivalent ( judged by someone) to 6' in any other situation.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't been to Stowe or Okemo in a couple years so I think I'll probably get an Epic Day Pass to go along with my Ikon pass. My son Noah hasn't been to Stowe so this is the perfect excuse.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I went Epic this past season because my local hills are on it and 11 months ago my assumption was worst case I'd just day trip into PA often and non-worst case I'd be able to take trips into New England and out west. Then PA upped their restrictions at the beginning of the season so my day trip count was not as high as I had hoped. I still got 9 days local and 6 in Colorado on the pass, plus 3 more days at non-pass locations. Not a great total, but by no means horrible.

I will get an Epic something because Whistler is the choice next season for my gang's gathering. I have yet to read the details of the day passes, but I may couple that option with an Ikon pass.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In Summit and Eagle Counties (and I presume CB too) a smart single goes to the main corral and declines singles as they pass the singles line. VR will try to get riders to buddy up to fill up to the mandated max, but won't try to force anyone to take strangers with them. The 6' spacing is not required in CO for ski lift riders, I presume either as a blatant sop to business, or because you are outdoors and moving at a good clip, thus judged to be equivalent ( judged by someone) to 6' in any other situation.
Ah, sorting out the protocols and hidden rules on the Death Star.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
The 6' spacing is not required in CO for ski lift riders, I presume either as a blatant sop to business, or because you are outdoors and moving at a good clip, thus judged to be equivalent ( judged by someone) to 6' in any other situation.

Before I got my Moderna vaccine shot #1 in January, I found I could easily obtain the spacing I felt most comfortable with---2 or 3 empty spaces next to me---on Breck lifts without any objections from lifties or fellow skiers. Sometimes I'd say "I'm old as dirt" and even got a chuckle or two with that. :) I didn't notice any evil eyes, but it probably helped that I ski mostly weekdays, keep to the alpine as much as possible and stay away from the base areas.

I'm much more relaxed about chair spacing now that I've got vaccination immunity. Also helps that the wind at Breck is usually "brisk", so you can count on free, good ventilation on Breck lifts.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
This has been different resort-to-resort... did all Vail resorts eliminate singles lines?
Heavenly had singles lines on their two most popular chairs; Dipper, which is highest chair on NV and Sky, highest chair on CA and only lift that provides access to NV. Dipper had employee managing line and he would load two singles onto quad chair and ask if pairs were OK with a single joining them. I did not notice any single lines at Kirkwood or Northstar. I never rode busy Village gondola or a shuttle at Northstar.
Putting 3 or 4 strangers on a 6 pack or even 2 on a quad chairs is in direct violation of 6' spacing and staying in your family or household bubble. So why would ski resorts be allowed to do this?
The interpretation of State rules posted at Heavenly were that one empty seat was required on a triple, quad or six-pack between unrelated parties. But it is your option to decline to let others ride with you. My wife declined anyone riding with us, even on a six-pack and even though we both have been vaccinated almost two months ago.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heavenly had singles lines on their two most popular chairs; Dipper, which is highest chair on NV and Sky, highest chair on CA and only lift that provides access to NV. Dipper had employee managing line and he would load two singles onto quad chair and ask if pairs were OK with a single joining them. I did not notice any single lines at Kirkwood or Northstar. I never rode busy Village gondola or a shuttle at Northstar.
The interpretation of State rules posted at Heavenly were that one empty seat was required on a triple, quad or six-pack between unrelated parties. But it is your option to decline to let others ride with you. My wife declined anyone riding with us, even on a six-pack and even though we both have been vaccinated almost two months ago.

One problem was we haven't come up with universal understanding how to indicate what you want to do which leads to some confusion.
I am still confused whether you are to answer in the Affirmative or Negative as the question is always asked in the softworded question about our emotions rather than flat out what we want to do.

Liftie: Would you mind taking a single?
>No: I don't mind/ No don't join in.
>Yes: Yes, I do mind/ Yes, single come on in.

I've resorted to a "come on in" hand wave. or the stopsign hand signal.
Similarly when Ski patrol wants to jump on, I've had a couple confusing loads whether they want the chair to themselves, or to join in on the half-load, resulting in a skipped chair.

Oh well, all minor issues, it eventually gets sorted or at worst just a few less-optimal chairs; hopefully this will be a moot point by next season and for another 100years.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I live in Breck, so an Epic Local pass is a no-brainer. I paid $590ish for my pass this year with my COVID-19 discount. Last year's "list" price for a local's was $729 and it is $729 this year, so there was no price increase.

Patrol at Breck rides by themselves so as to reduce exposure with never a full quad or 6-pack. Single on T-Bar and doubles, as I see it although that may not always be the case, but just my observation.

I rarely feel encumbered by being added, as a single, to a group and frequently will say no to singles when I'm just with a friend on a quad. Most of the times I'm grouped up a little 'denser' than I wish it is due to communication issues (noise, mask muffling, etc.) than lack of consideration.

I do say no to anyone I don't know for the gondola as that is a completely different situation than riding an open lift. One guy with a child, said 'Well we wouldn't want to ride with you anyway' with a heavy helping of attitude when I declined to join them on the gondola. That only happened once in 71 days at Breck. It's the attitude of people in the lines in general (6 young adults with no masks at all in use and the like) that is obnoxious as they will expect the same when they are in stores and restaurants.

Fortunately, being outdoors, I don't feel that uncomfortable as I'm wearing a quality mask at all times. I'm also taking it easy today because I got me second shot yesterday so will be less on my guard but still masking per CDC recommendations.

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
To the OP.

I find the poll to be confusing and difficult to answer. The thread title refers to "your pass purchase with Vail Resorts." However it only references the Epic pass. Vail offers other passes as well, such as the Select Pass for a specific ski area. I bought a Stevens Pass Select Pass for this season and will be renewing it for next season so I chose to answer that I will renew even though it's not an Epic Pass. Is this thread only about Epic passes or is it about Vail Resorts passes?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I rarely feel encumbered by being added, as a single, to a group and frequently will say no to singles when I'm just with a friend on a quad. Most of the times I'm grouped up a little 'denser' than I wish it is due to communication issues (noise, mask muffling, etc.) than lack of consideration.

I do say no to anyone I don't know for the gondola as that is a completely different situation than riding an open lift. One guy with a child, said 'Well we wouldn't want to ride with you anyway' with a heavy helping of attitude when I declined to join them on the gondola. That only happened once in 71 days at Breck. It's the attitude of people in the lines in general (6 young adults with no masks at all in use and the like) that is obnoxious as they will expect the same when they are in stores and restaurants.

Fortunately, being outdoors, I don't feel that uncomfortable as I'm wearing a quality mask at all times. I'm also taking it easy today because I got me second shot yesterday so will be less on my guard but still masking per CDC recommendations.
Like you, I have not experienced a lot of angst, even on the days when I faced long lift lines or crowds I practiced patience and got along well.
Overall, I think the resorts have been doing fairly well navigating this strange season.
Mind you, I've skied a total of 74 days, at 11 different mountains, none of which were VR
Oddly enough this is the first year that I skied 0 days at a Vail Resort property in (I think) 14 years.
Last year I only got 1 day, which was at Northstar.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To the OP.

I find the poll to be confusing and difficult to answer. The thread title refers to "your pass purchase with Vail Resorts." However it only references the Epic pass. Vail offers other passes as well, such as the Select Pass for a specific ski area. I bought a Stevens Pass Select Pass for this season and will be renewing it for next season so I chose to answer that I will renew even though it's not an Epic Pass. Is this thread only about Epic passes or is it about Vail Resorts passes?
Did they reduce the price of the Stevens Pass Select?
Also, is Stevens owned by VR or just a partner?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Did they reduce the price of the Stevens Pass Select?
Also, is Stevens owned by VR or just a partner?
They reduced the price by 20% and they are owned wholly by Vail. The Select pass is only for Stevens on weekdays and non-holidays. There is also a Stevens Pass Premium Pass that covers all days of operations but is restricted to only Stevens. The Epic, Epic Local, and Epic Day passes are also offered.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Help, I need some clarity on the Epic Day Pass, website says:

Customizable to fit your needs
Choose from 1 – 7 days
• Valid for use at 43 resorts

Am I missing something in the fine print or does the Epic Day Pass allow the option of its seven-day pass for one to use all seven days, consecutively, at one of the 43 resorts? In other words, would the purchase of the Epic Day Pass allow for me to ski seven days at Whistler if I choose to spend a week or so at Whistler?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If u buy 7 day Epic Day Pass....u can ski them wherever u want...however u want....That’s how my buddy buys them every year....I buy an Epic Local because I ski more than he does.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Am I missing something in the fine print or does the Epic Day Pass allow the option of its seven-day pass for one to use all seven days, consecutively, at one of the 43 resorts? In other words, would the purchase of the Epic Day Pass allow for me to ski seven days at Whistler if I choose to spend a week or so at Whistler?
In the FAQ:
Does my Epic Day Pass have to be used on consecutive days or a set start date?
No, the Epic Day Pass has a preloaded number of days to use throughout the 2021/2022 winter season. The days do not have to be used consecutively and do not have a set start date.

So you can blow all 7days in a row at 1 resort, or spread out at any of their resorts. The blackouts are for ALL resorts on EpicDay if you choose the blackout version.

One side faq: assuming it gives you same rights as a day ticket; if you're in an area that you could ski 2 resorts in 1 day, a day pass should use up only 1 punch rather than using 2punches. But if that is important to you, you better doublecheck.

HOWEVER, if you're pushing it up to the EpicDay6 or higher, you should also compare your plan with Epic Local which has 10 (restricted) days to use at the 'premier' resorts including WB; and the blackouts only affect certain resorts.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
on the other hand I suspect you'd be further ahead to not ski Whistler and then punch only twice at a single resort and leave the Epic 5/6 for a two punch option at a single punch destination leaving you free to qualify for repeated trips to destinations of your choice (at qualifying resorts) thus leaving you able to select same based on weather geographic or crowd limitations.