• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Euro Gathering Christmas/New Year's 2022-2023?

Which week would you prefer?

• Saturday, December 24th, 2022 - Saturday, December 31st, 2022

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Saturday, December 31st, 2022 - Saturday, January 7th, 2023

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I am looking into organizing a gathering in the Dolomiti Superski area (part of Ikon pass) over Christmas or New Year's next season. A nice hotel or B&B somewhere in one of the Sella Ronda areas, visiting all the beautiful skiing, food, charm en European culture there is.

Who would be interested? And which of the two holiday weeks?

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
My husband and I would be interested. Either week would work. I would prefer whichever one is less crowded, if that is an issue.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Sella Ronda might be crowded and fully or nearly fully booked for that timeframe already, both weeks.
I have never had a problem with finding accommodation on the Sella Ronda for the Christmas week. I book as late as September for 2 people , or in June if there are more demanding requirements in play.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Lucky you. I had to reserve from one year to the next...but then we were a large group with different requirements and a varied demographic (old ppl wanted a comfortable Hotel with full amenities, young ppl were happy with mire basic ones B&Bs, families had again other needs)
Ok then, do you have already a base location in mind?
Ski in ski out or nearly so
Arabba
Colfosco / Corvara
Selva di Valgardena
Canazei
All on the main Sella Ronda circle.
Let me think, what else...
A bit off the main circle:
La Villa...

Last edited:
TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
San Cassiano also an option

Canazei or Campitello have most options in terms of available accommodation usually, also, great access to the Val di Fassa, quiet off-Sella Ronda Areas

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife and I are interested. We prefer the Christmas week but could do the other week as well. We would fly into Munich and rent a car. We would stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen on the way down. Garmisch is only an hour drive from there. We may stay in Garmisch most of the time. Jerry

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
My wife and I are interested. We prefer the Christmas week but could do the other week as well. We would fly into Munich and rent a car. We would stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen on the way down. Garmisch is only an hour drive from there. We may stay in Garmisch most of the time. Jerry
Garmisch is a 2.5-hour drive from the Sella Ronda (nearest side, North). Not ideal for day trips to the Dolomites. Why Garmisch?

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Garmisch is a 2.5-hour drive from the Sella Ronda (nearest side, North). Not ideal for day trips to the Dolomites. Why Garmisch?
You are correct as I did the driving directions wrong. The reason for Garmisch is that I was Pro Ski Patrol there in the past. I patrolled the Zugspitze and the Garmisch Classic Ski areas. I also get a break on lodging there as I am prior US Army and can stay at the Armed Forces resort there. We would still be interested in the trip but would be looking for lodging there in addition to Garmisch.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
My error. I have been informed that it is actually 2.5 hours away. I did the driving directions wrong.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I can recommend anyone villages to stay. I have only limited experience with hotels in the area, though, since I always book apartments. And those can easily be found. I can help with those as well, of course.

If we were to settle on a specific week, I would definitely help everyone with booking accommodation within walking distance from each other. For me, it's not realistic to book a bunch of rooms, I think. At least, I would not have the finances to pay for them upfront.

And we would have to look at the logistics too. Getting from major airports to the ski area requires a (rental) car or a pricy transfer. While we're there, we don't really need a car. We just make sure we're somewhere well-connected with slopes, lifts, and some busses too.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Great!

I have a question for all of you:
When should we decide on the IF and WHEN of the trip (IF we do this at all and what exact dates/which of the two weeks)?
I imagine booking airline tickets is a factor in this, as is booking accommodation (from May onwards, the end of the current season, accommodations are open to booking for next ski season).

What deadline will we set for ourselves?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we should keep the chat going here and raise the interest level. Post some pics for stoke! In the end, it looks like a close tie on dates so far.
End of May sounds good as a deadline. It’s possible that a worsening economy could have a big effect overall.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm out. Not willing to commit on skiing what could quite probably be groomer only in a very busy week.

(There now I've said it you'll have record pow!)

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Even if we would have pow... there is hardly any accessible off-piste terrain in the Dolomites. That trip would be on piste only anyway.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Well, for that (skiing off piste terrain) ask, just to name one org, the Alta Badia Guides in Corvara.They organize tours, IIRC. A classic, doable by most skiers is the Val Mezdì/Mittagstal itinerary.
Problem is, to ski offpiste, one will need the full triad (Beacon, Probe, Shovel) and know how to use it. I am not sure the guides will rent some, so that would be some additional weight to carry over.
Another issue, there might not be enough powder to ski offpiste, at that time of the year.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
So early in the season, those itineraries are usually not skiable yet. Sure, you can hire a guide. Just don't count on conditions that warrant one, really.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January