• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

European Hut Trip / Ski Mountaineering Set Up

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I already know that my favorite ski ever is a 95-waisted Swiss ski, so I think I'm gonna do that again. Pretty much settled on the Movement 95s and some version of the ATK bindings, probably Moment Voyager since they already have more height in the toes. I want to shim my right ski to account for my leg-length dealio, so I don't want to have to shim that side extra, if that makes sense. Going up is what bugs the hips, so these skis will get the permanent treatment. And 177s. I was stressing about it, but dammit I know what length I like to ski. I usually tour on longer skis than that, anyway.

I'll get things dialed in over the summer (assuming we have ANY high-altitude snow left by the time I get things put together) and next season, and I should know if I want to haul a second pair of skis over there. I have plenty of baggage allowance, so a second pair won't be any trouble or cost.

Just to quell any concerns, I have skied in Europe multiple times, so yes, I know things are different. We will be fully guided for at least 2 wk, and will figure out the other 2 wk. I think I want to go somewhere else while I'm there, maybe even Iceland, where I have been in June but would be curious about going earlier. Maybe Zermatt. Been there, too, want to go back. Or perhaps Italy or another place I haven't skied (except on the Cervinia side). Don't know yet.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Happy ending to this story. I went on my Italian hut trip a few weeks ago and my set up was: Volkl Blaze 94 158cm, BD Helio 350, Scarpa F1 LT W, and Pomoca Free Pro 2.0s. I was super happy with this setup and it's quickly becoming my only touring set up. I'm pretty satisfied with the ski ability and very reasonable weight.

Trip report to come

1649032354519.png