• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Please post any personal experiences,leads,conditions and updates.

Mainly interested hearing about Italy/Dolomites, Austria/Tyrol, Italy/Cervinia and France/Savoie.

Thank you all

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most of resorts more east (Dolomites in Italy, East Tyrol, Carinthia,Salzburg and Styria in Austria...) are not open yet. Quit big number of them are opening this or next weekend, and then we will see how it will be, but at the moment pretty much all are missing natural snow. But at least it finally got cold, so they could finally start doing man made snow at full speed :)

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Thank you for suggestion.
I love weathertoski.co.uk, big fan of theirs, been following them for a while.
However, what I had on mind is more "personal" inputs with "first hand" (ski on the snow) experience from budding pugski.com "European' contingent.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I actually like this idea, even though I have feeling very few people on these forums ski where I'm skiing when I'm home (mainly Carinthia/south Austria), but it would still be good thing... I guess :) I just saw few photos from Nassfeld, which is opening today, and it looks surprisingly good for all man made snow with not even 1cm of natural snow around. And I'm off to Groden and Alta Badia next week for WC races there, and if all will be fine, I get day on slopes myself on Thursday, so I can report how will be conditions there in a week :)

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Primoz, have fun !

Saslong Classic ... lucky you.

Keep us updated on conditions, it looks dry from here :(

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
We had a lot of precipitation a few weeks back, but it was rain below about 2500 meters. Seems to me like anywhere high would be skiing pretty well right now, my place is good at that level, almost non-existent lower.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Was looking at Madonna di Campiglio and it's like a sunny spring day at the bottom with green grass and flowers, with a WROD for the slalom race this weekend.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Goran M. in case if you have plans to go to Gardena/Badia... do go :D There's not even 1cm of natural snow, and it looks pretty weird with everything brown and just few white stripes where courses are, but skiing is amazing. Today there was almost no people (no problems to hammer down with 35m GS skis all around Sella Ronda) and tracks are prepared perfectly. My brand new Rossis are still brand new, not even one little scratch, as I didn't see not even one single stone on tracks. Pretty amazing I would say, and no idea how they actually pulled that one out, as you normally get bunch of stones when spreading man made snow around to zero base.

Attachments

• gardena1.jpg
    gardena1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 31
  • gardena2.jpg
    gardena2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 33
  • gardena3.jpg
    gardena3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 26

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Weather-to-Ski claims the Dolomites/Sella Ronda are the premier snowmaking operators in the Alps.

I'm unhappy to report that we are headed for the Alps via Zurich from Jan. 14 - Feb. 4 and it looks very grim at the moment. We will likely visit the Dolomites for a few days if it stays like this, along with some non-ski tourism.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've been keeping a quiet eye on the conditions in Austria with an eye to visiting family..brutal..not only warm but no precipitation. Just...sun.. People are riding their road bikes in knicker pants. It kinda looks like the weather is finally changing though, at least in the Kitz area. Have to wait for that Russian cold to funnel down and get some snow temps. The Austrians also have generally zero concerns with making snow at all costs so Kitzbuhel actually has great snowmaking as well. They're nearly 100% open. Best of luck Tony!

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've just heard from friends at Morzine and Les Gets in the French Alps, and they have next to no snow. They report you need to go to resorts above 2,000 meters to find anything. Apparently the French southern Alps are doing much better.

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Hintertux Glacier (Tyrol, Austria) around Dec 20th. Spring time down in the valley, but most runs up there at 3000 m were OK:
20161224_141347.jpg
20161221_100804.jpg
Ditto for Stubai Glacier around Christmas:
20161225_103034.jpg
This is Verbier valley from yesterday. Some light snow the place received overnight did not help much - conditions up at the top are brutal (ice and occasional rocks, got to be careful at all times):
20170102_102811.jpg
Now the good news for those planning a Euro trip later this month: apparently there is a dump coming to some areas in the next couple of days (the forecast for, e.g., St Anton is >50 cm), with more snow in the forecast for next week. Fingers crossed.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, Verbier looks awful. Is that photo from the gondola out of Medran?

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Well, Verbier got about 30 cms over the past 24 hrs, and the snow would not stop as I am writing this. The off-piste ("yellow") runs were closed today, but overall conditions were markedly better than past week.

A sunny spell is forecast for the remainder of the week, but there is a bigger dump coming in the next 10 days or so... A friend reported same situation was developing in the Austrian part of Tyrol (Solden and Obergurgl), so those planning a Euro skiing trip - you are in luck.

The pic is Verb @ 7 am today. 20170105_082711.jpg

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Here we go again ...

to Urope ...

Flying to Milan on January 19th.

Eyes on La Thuile, Courmayeur, Cervinia ...

What you say ?

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
@Goran M. in case if you have plans to go to Gardena/Badia... do go :D There's not even 1cm of natural snow, and it looks pretty weird with everything brown and just few white stripes where courses are, but skiing is amazing. Today there was almost no people (no problems to hammer down with 35m GS skis all around Sella Ronda) and tracks are prepared perfectly. My brand new Rossis are still brand new, not even one little scratch, as I didn't see not even one single stone on tracks. Pretty amazing I would say, and no idea how they actually pulled that one out, as you normally get bunch of stones when spreading man made snow around to zero base.
WOW! That looks a lot worse than Tahoe; at least we have a few inches of snow on the hillsides next to the runs. I've skied Sella Ronda, thank goodness with a lot more snow then that - It was a great day of skiing with incredible scenery.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Year ago ...

In all honesty - Val Gardena appears to look the same this time of the year, maybe bit better.

It looks like west side of the Alps are getting good start of the season so far. Espace Killy looks good.

OTH, latest storms might favor Dolomites ... Check Arabba in 4 days ...

I am keeping this ticket to MXP ;)

Sponsor