• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EV or no EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The real issue with solar is that the up front cost is so high.

And this is also why we can't have fun EV threads.

Every EV thread, every solar thread turns into a financial engineering thread, about as much fun as Academy Awards for Accountancy.

Sometimes EV threads turn into Stupid Car Tricks (Let Me Hold My Beer?) threads but even those are few and far between.

Where are the electric RVs?
Where is the upcoming electric Harley Davidson discussion?
Where is the cheering on for @anders_nor to try a Candela hydrofoil EV, since he's already Teslaed up?
Where are the inflatable, towable solar rafts to charge an EV houseboat? Even NC can't mandate they be connected to shore power if they're not actually berthed.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
electric Harley Davidson

ADVOCATING FOR AN ELECTRIC FUTURE

ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLES & BIKES​

We’re leading the electrification of two-wheels with a range of products; all-electric motorcycles from LiveWire, electric pedal-assist bicycles from Serial 1, and electric balance bikes from STACYC.

LIVEWIRE™
Our vision is to create the next generation of motorcycles with products and experiences that merge the power and technology of EV with the unique soulful connection that comes from an analog machine. Together the two create a new emotion that defines the LiveWire riding experience.

1675459599612.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^ hell ya.. not normally ridden in terrible weather.. or 12 hour + road trips..

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Clearly this article was written before Tesla started an EV price war lol

Ironically EVs are the only cars getting price reductions right now, and if you look at Tesla their margins per car are through the roof at around 30% which is insane. A lot of that is driven by the fact that they have completely changed the manufacturing process for cars i.e. the Giga Press, which is a first in automotive manufacturing. When you look at the disruption Tesla has created it is quite impressive as they have introduced so many new innovations that actually change the way we design, build, upgrade and sell cars. They change in construct with EVs goes way beyond how people drive and charge them.

- With tax rebates the Model 3 is now under $35k, that seems reasonable to me. You also now get incentives on used EVs and can pick up some of this for quite cheap. My first Tesla Model S P85 was a certified used vehicle from Tesla and I got a 70% discount on that plus a 4 year warranty - so was actually quite reasonable when compared to a nice sedan.

:geek:

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Every EV thread, every solar thread turns into a financial engineering thread, about as much fun as Academy Awards for Accountancy.
It's the equivalent of ski instruction threads turning into "femurs and physics" talk.

"Rotate ze femur in ze hip socket!"

dfdny444

Putting on skis
Skier

This guy spends minutes saying how great the screen is but then calls the car glitchy at the end? What else could possibly be glitchy? His biggest complaint seems to be the interior which is subjective but then goes on a rant at the end about how bad the car is. Remember, this guy is a mechanic, mainstream EV adoption is bad for his business.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This guy spends minutes saying how great the screen is but then calls the car glitchy at the end? What else could possibly be glitchy? His biggest complaint seems to be the interior which is subjective but then goes on a rant at the end about how bad the car is. Remember, this guy is a mechanic, mainstream EV adoption is bad for his business.
I feel like we watched two different videos.
To recap: He praised the brilliance of Tesla's electric technology, went into a good bit of detail about it, said no other car company EV is as good in that regard, that Tesla is ahead of the others. He does not like the poor fit and finish of the vehicle, many inconsistent gaps between body panels, the interior, said it's a car put together with glue! Also said the ride is harsh. None of which should be acceptable of a vehicle in it's price range.
He went on to say he wishes Tesla would sell or license it's technology to the "real" auto companies to incorporate in their EV's.
Doesn't sound like he is the least bit fearful of his business being hurt by EV's, there are still a lot of things that will need repair and I would say a guy like him would learn and adapt to the mechanics of EV's. I've watched a number of his videos and if I lived in Chicago I probably would bring my car to his shop.

dfdny444

Putting on skis
Skier
I feel like we watched two different videos.
To recap: He praised the brilliance of Tesla's electric technology, went into a good bit of detail about it, said no other car company EV is as good in that regard, that Tesla is ahead of the others. He does not like the poor fit and finish of the vehicle, many inconsistent gaps between body panels, the interior, said it's a car put together with glue! Also said the ride is harsh. None of which should be acceptable of a vehicle in it's price range.
He went on to say he wishes Tesla would sell or license it's technology to the "real" auto companies to incorporate in their EV's.
Doesn't sound like he is the least bit fearful of his business being hurt by EV's, there are still a lot of things that will need repair and I would say a guy like him would learn and adapt to the mechanics of EV's. I've watched a number of his videos and if I lived in Chicago I probably would bring my car to his shop.
His final verdict was riddled with contradictions. Anyway, I have 60k miles between two Teslas one a 2018. I've spent zip...zero on maintenance. Ok, maybe 3 bucks on windshield washer fluid. I will never have to change the brakes or rotors for the life of the cars even though I'm capable of doing it on my own, I'll still save on parts let alone all the other costs to maintain an internal combustion engine and transmission. Maintenance and service alone are the reason dealerships don't want to sell EV's (its well known that they make the majority of their money in service visits) and mechanics go out of their way to discredit them.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
His final verdict was riddled with contradictions. Anyway, I have 60k miles between two Teslas one a 2018. I've spent zip...zero on maintenance. Ok, maybe 3 bucks on windshield washer fluid. I will never have to change the brakes or rotors for the life of the cars even though I'm capable of doing it on my own, I'll still save on parts let alone all the other costs to maintain an internal combustion engine and transmission. Maintenance and service alone are the reason dealerships don't want to sell EV's (its well known that they make the majority of their money in service visits) and mechanics go out of their way to discredit them.
That may very well be true of the Stealerships, I don't doubt it, but he doesn't work for one, has his own service shop. ICE's are not going away overnight, we still have HV;s and PHV in addition to EV's and I don't foresee them going away any time soon. He has one service shop and I'd think if he is as good as he comes off in his videos (@James is not impressed), he will have plenty of vehicles to work on even when ICE's become the minority on the road.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Older Teslas absolutely had build issues. My 2013 Model S had an incredible amount of warranty work, but Tesla rolled out the red carpet and went the extra mile to pretty much replace and upgrade pretty much everything but the battery lol. My 2020 Model X on the other hand has not had a single issue and the build quality is great. The lesson here is do not be the first to buy a brand new car/technology/product ... let them iron out the kinks with the early adopters first.

James

Out There
Instructor
That may very well be true of the Stealerships, I don't doubt it, but he doesn't work for one, has his own service shop. ICE's are not going away overnight, we still have HV;s and PHV in addition to EV's and I don't foresee them going away any time soon. He has one service shop and I'd think if he is as good as he comes off in his videos (@James is not impressed), he will have plenty of vehicles to work on even when ICE's become the minority on the road.
Everyone is not good at presenting videos. Well, to be more accurate, there’s not enough editing and production.
Also, Youtube apparently promotes length also with their algorithm which doesn’t help.

Same in print. We’ve fired all the efitors. Look at Outside. What passes for jounslism now is personal reflection and irrelevant personal details in stories about someone else.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Older Teslas absolutely had build issues. My 2013 Model S had an incredible amount of warranty work, but Tesla rolled out the red carpet and went the extra mile to pretty much replace and upgrade pretty much everything but the battery lol. My 2020 Model X on the other hand has not had a single issue and the build quality is great. The lesson here is do not be the first to buy a brand new car/technology/product ... let them iron out the kinks with the early adopters first.
His review is of a 2022 dual motor Model Y
Model Y began deliveries March 2020
Would the '22 model year still qualify for early adopter status?

If you watch the video you can clearly see exactly what he is complaining about regarding fit and finish

He found the ride to be bad, harsh was the word he used

He went on to say Tesla should sell or license their advanced EV technology to real automobile manufactures, by the end of the video he said he hopes Tesla steps up their game because it's only a matter of time before the other automaker's EV's catch up to Tesla's advanced technology

Good to hear that you have had better luck with the fit and finish of your 2020 Model S

dfdny444

Putting on skis
Skier
His review is of a 2022 dual motor Model Y
Model Y began deliveries March 2020
Would the '22 model year still qualify for early adopter status?

If you watch the video you can clearly see exactly what he is complaining about regarding fit and finish

He found the ride to be bad, harsh was the word he used

He went on to say Tesla should sell or license their advanced EV technology to real automobile manufactures, by the end of the video he said he hopes Tesla steps up their game because it's only a matter of time before the other automaker's EV's catch up to Tesla's advanced technology

Good to hear that you have had better luck with the fit and finish of your 2020 Model S
I have a 2021 Y. I had one fit and finish issue where the trunk wasn't lining up perfectly, mentioned it to Tesla service and it was fixed the same week I got the car and I've had zero issues since.

I can find you videos from last decade saying the other automakers will catch up...they still haven't and they won't. They're all still losing money on every ev they sell and must cannibalize their ICE sales for ev sales. None of them make their own batteries and all of them outsource software, bms (battery management systems) etc, hell some of them even outsource building the car. The narrative that the competition is coming is getting old, very old.

Status
Not open for further replies.