• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EV or no EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
He found the ride to be bad, harsh was the word he used
Model Y ride quality is worst of the S, 3, and Y. Haven't been in the X so don't know about that one. It's not terrible, but it is stiff for sure - also depends on the rims of course.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Model Y ride quality is worst of the S, 3, and Y. Haven't been in the X so don't know about that one. It's not terrible, but it is stiff for sure - also depends on the rims of course.
Ride quality on my original 2013 Model S was great. My 2020 Model X is even better as it has active air suspension. Have never driven a Y, but after driving an S and X, the ride quality of the 3 just did not do it for me. As for fit and finish on the Teslas, in general this has gotten much much better ... but what really stands out is their service and how they go the extra mile to make it right for you. A couple things they do that I really really like:
  1. They offer mobile service, where they come to you at home or at work to service and in many cases repair your car if needed. They also have a mobile tire shop that will come and change your tires for you. Got a flat once and within 30 minutes instead of a tow, they showed up with their mobile tire shop and fixed my flat for me on the spot
  2. When you do need to bring your car in, they always have a Tesla loaner car for you and if they run out they rent one for you
  3. If you do not want a rental care they will give you Uber credits to pay for all your travel while they have your car in the shop
  4. The cars are modular so if there is a fit and finish issue it is usually very easy to correct ... providing they have the right part available.
So while other companies may be better at the fit and finish ... Tesla is way better and the service/make it right part and they are getting much better with the fit and finish

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So...tell me about electric sleds...will the Wasatch get quieter?

Quieter is going to be a problem on the roads. We share a communal driveway with a hybrid owning neighbour. In electric mode that thing is noiseless and almost been taken out a couple of times. Going to be a serious issue for airbud wearing suburban walkers and joggers.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I thought at least some of these EVs and toys had settings/features to go vroom vroom! or brap brap! Let me guess, blasting the noisy noise wears down the battery faster so folks aren't likely to use that feature..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Something I bet Pete B's aware of is that full EVs weigh a LOT more than comparable ICE vehicles right? Road construction and maintenance (and taxes?) will be a different ball game with full or even 50% + EV adoption..

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
No doubt. But will it be a problem on snow?

Well, for resort use, people try to ski into loud sleds with flashing lights, so quiet ones probably won't help in that regard.

I'm a little concerned about shared trail use, particularly skiing with my dog, but it will take quite a while for electric sleds to be common for trail riding (IMO--the use case puts a premium on available range and the ability to refuel far from civilization if you miscalculated that range).

As far as mountain sleds, if the range limitations aren't a show stopper, instant torque and not affecting other back country users with the noise and two-stroke smell seems like a win to me. People riding by aren't that annoying, but having someone playing and doing laps in an area while you're skinning up within earshot gets old. And I say that a someone who enjoys motorized recreation.

Impact on wildlife is an open question. I've seen a study showing that wildlife generally gets more scared (based on reaction) by human powered activity than by motorized activity, with the conclusion being that the engine noise provides more warning and avoids a startle reflex.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as mountain sleds, if the range limitations aren't a show stopper, instant torque and not affecting other back country users with the noise and two-stroke smell seems like a win to me.

Right or wrong, weight is a big consideration with mountain sleds, and I suspect the current e-sleds are quite a bit heavier? The linked article didn't seem to mention weight (or I was skimming too fast).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Right or wrong, weight is a big consideration with mountain sleds, and I suspect the current e-sleds are quite a bit heavier? The linked article didn't seem to mention weight (or I was skimming too fast).

So, you're saying there's no fun terrain within 30-35 miles of you you could tow a skier to?

The Nomad is stated as 607 lbs in the Performance model. Ken Block's SkiDoo E-Tec was ~460lbs depending on fuel load.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I have a few questions for the experienced EV users, especially @dovski. I have been considering an EV or at least a plug in hybrid to replace my 2013 Highlander hybrid. Yesterday, I drove back to Portland from Jackson Hole. It is 800 miles. It was 3* when we left but there was an inversion so it quickly warmed up. Perfect driving conditions; dry, sunny, no wind the entire way. We made it in about 12.5 hours, including 2 refueling stops, one which included lunch for about 30 minutes, plus multiple bathroom/stretch breaks.
My questions, how would that initial cold impact the range? How does driving through Idaho at 80 mph impact the range? How long do you think it would take in a Tesla? We did take multiple 5-10 minute per breaks. 12 hours was at the limit of my duration behind the wheel so anything longer or rain in the gorge at night and I probably would have stopped for the night. This is information gathering not looking to criticize.

dfdny444

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a few questions for the experienced EV users, especially @dovski. I have been considering an EV or at least a plug in hybrid to replace my 2013 Highlander hybrid. Yesterday, I drove back to Portland from Jackson Hole. It is 800 miles. It was 3* when we left but there was an inversion so it quickly warmed up. Perfect driving conditions; dry, sunny, no wind the entire way. We made it in about 12.5 hours, including 2 refueling stops, one which included lunch for about 30 minutes, plus multiple bathroom/stretch breaks.
My questions, how would that initial cold impact the range? How does driving through Idaho at 80 mph impact the range? How long do you think it would take in a Tesla? We did take multiple 5-10 minute per breaks. 12 hours was at the limit of my duration behind the wheel so anything longer or rain in the gorge at night and I probably would have stopped for the night. This is information gathering not looking to criticize.

This app takes into account the temps and elevation. ABRP says it would take 14 hours. The cold will impact range…how much is based on many factors including pre-conditioning battery prior to leaving, heating cabin, outside temps.

How often would you make this trip? How many miles do you drive a year normally? Oregon has significant tax incentives and buying a Tesla there is a smart move especially if electricity rates are reasonable. I saved almost 3k in fuel costs last year.

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier

This app takes into account the temps and elevation. ABRP says it would take 14 hours. The cold will impact range…how much is based on many factors including pre-conditioning battery prior to leaving, heating cabin, outside temps.

How often would you make this trip? How many miles do you drive a year normally? Oregon has significant tax incentives and buying a Tesla there is a smart move especially if electricity rates are reasonable. I saved almost 3k in fuel costs last year.
Thanks. I assumed it would take longer but was interested in real world experience. It is a once a year trip. The longest I drive frequently is to central Oregon, about 180 miles one way. One of my criteria for an EV is it has to get me there without stopping to charge, so I figure it must have a minimum of 225 miles of real range, not estimated. Teslas would make easily but there are very few other EVs that will comfortably.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Would the cruise assist (autopilot but not go to sleep mode) help facilitate a couple additional hours of piloting? 12 hours is my max too but driving our newer car with radar cruise assist is definitely less stressful and energy consuming on longer trips.

I guess I'd like to know how much the overall range of EVs is impacted in general over their full lifecycle. What % of battery performance is lost after 5 years and 60K+ miles? Is it still legit above 90% as some claim? I still don't trust ANY vendor or EPA provided performance metrics over what someone says who actually owned and used the vehicle in real world situations..

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been looking at the Kia EV6 /Hyundai Ioniq. Those are nice vehicle with EPA- rated 274 miles of range for AWD, and more importantly faster charging at level 3 chargers, supposedly 18 minutes from 10% to 80% charge.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I’ve been looking at the Kia EV6 /Hyundai Ioniq. Those are nice vehicle with EPA- rated 274 miles of range for AWD, and more importantly faster charging at level 3 chargers, supposedly 18 minutes from 10% to 80% charge.
I looked at Ioniq last summer. It was a little too futuristic inside for my old curmudgeony self.

dfdny444

Putting on skis
Skier
If you can find a DC fast charger that works. This is the biggest issue plaguing non Tesla vehicles. The charging networks are so terrible it almost feels intentional. Electrify America is led by VW as part of their dieselgate lawsuit.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I kinda like the tall glass proportions, even if does remind some of the old Landy Disco. Way too many short rear glass designs of late, and after the LR Evoque it's all generic looking.
If you can find a DC fast charger that works. This is the biggest issue plaguing non Tesla vehicles. The charging networks are so terrible it almost feels intentional. Electrify America is led by VW as part of their dieselgate lawsuit.

We've got both EVgo and ChargePoint - Electrify America is mostly on the Virginia side of the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.