• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eVent DV Flex - Early Returns on a Well-Executed Resort Shell Fabric

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
During the recent Aspen gathering I found a shell that fit me well on a half-price closeout rack in front of the Strafe store at Aspen Highlands. Specifically, the arms were not 6 inches too long for my short arms. So I bought it. Orangutans need not apply.

I have five or six ski days in the shell now, so not enough to provide feedback on things like durability. I also have not had it out in real rain. I'm posting here now because I wanted to share my happy experience so far with the fabric. According to Strafe, the material is "eVent DV Flex". Yellow pullover in the appended pic, courtesty of @dbostedo .

It has a soft, quiet hand. I suppose you'd correctly describe it as a "hard" shell, but it's not at all crinkly, and it has a nice drape. It's comfy. Most notably the breathability seems special. As the gathering week progressed, things got warmer and warmer, with temps in the 40s and lots of sun. We skied a lot of bumps and steeps. My fitness was seriously challenged. I worked hard and did a lot of panting, but never once had any sense - let alone obvious evidence - of interior dampness. :thumb:

Aspen Gathering 2022 088 ACR Conv-02.jpeg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait...how will we recognize you without your blue patterned jacket???

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait...how will we recognize you without your blue patterned jacket???
Still have it. Colder weather unit.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I support the helmet change and the coat has nice visual interest but the trousers are a fashion disaster. Especially with those boots. :geek::ogbiggrin::mask:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I just love the fashion police!:geek:

I have an e-vent shell, made by RAB, that I bought from @Ron many years ago, therefore, it isn't the latest technology. Everything you wrote describing your new jacket, is very true for mine. I've pictures, somewhere, from my first Gathering at Summit Co in springtime, wearing it and it was and continues to be great as the temps warm. Also, great in rain and for 3 season wear. I do find it a little cool when I just need a little warmth. Glad you found a shell that fits perfectly, not always easy. Love the color, you will be easy to spot in future Gathering pics.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I support the helmet change and the coat has nice visual interest but the trousers are a fashion disaster. Especially with those boots. :geek::ogbiggrin::mask:
I thought that after all those ski school threads we'd agreed that unsolicited FA* is poor form. ;) Anyway I already got the thumbs down from Grump, so you're late to the party. "That silhouette is too youthful for you." Thanks. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Matt Smith, bless his youthful soul, thought the pullover was fun. :thumb:

In any case my skiwear budget doesn't have space for at-will realignment for fashion, fit, and function. I.e., those are my shell pants and they are what they are. Style is pretty low on my personal list and I can live with the eye rolls from y'all as long as I get to ski somewhere good.

*Fashion Analysis

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I have some Strafe Capitol pants that fit well and breathe well and dry quickly. They are great in typical Colorado conditions (i.e. cold and DRY). Really nice in spring like conditions, as long as it is not snowing.

If conditions are such that the snow melts on you when it lands, or it's raining, they do not stay dry. They will rapidly dry if the precipitation stops. So, I don't like them for skiing PNW or Tahoe area. I bought Marmot shell pants and jacket (Freerider series) to use for wetter areas. I can wear those in the shower and not get wet.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some Strafe Capitol pants that fit well and breathe well and dry quickly. They are great in typical Colorado conditions (i.e. cold and DRY). Really nice in spring like conditions, as long as it is not snowing.

If conditions are such that the snow melts on you when it lands, or it's raining, they do not stay dry. They will rapidly dry if the precipitation stops. So, I don't like them for skiing PNW or Tahoe area. I bought Marmot shell pants and jacket (Freerider series) to use for wetter areas. I can wear those in the shower and not get wet.
I'll update when I get any wet weather hours in. Could happen this weekend. It's hard to tell with all the rebranding of membranes, plus the many configurations of fabric that they get used in, but it appears that the Capitol pant as currently described on the site uses a different fabric from the one used in the garment I got.

James

Out There
Instructor
Does the eVent let lots of air through? I have one from Flylow I got end of last season due to 60% off. Seems like it’s not that shell like shield. Hoping it offers rain protection.
Frankly, I’m tired of the scam of all these fabrics.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does the eVent let lots of air through? I have one from Flylow I got end of last season due to 60% off. Seems like it’s not that shell like shield. Hoping it offers rain protection.
Frankly, I’m tired of the scam of all these fabrics.
Which Flylow do you have? I was just looking at some of their bottoms for something appropriately ... youthful :)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does the eVent let lots of air through? I have one from Flylow
Well if you make pants with legs like sequoia trunks and leg openings like entrances to the Paris Metro, you're going to get some ventilation.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well if you make pants with legs like sequoia trunks and leg openings like entrances to the Paris Metro, you're going to get some ventilation.
They’re not pants. No excessive opening problem.

Which Flylow do you have? I was just looking at some of their bottoms for something appropriately ... youthful :)
I don’t know who the pants fit. The bibs are made for bean stalks.
The coat is the Lab. I guess they call it 2020 year. (20/21) I have an older neoshell Lab 2.0 one. So that one got me pretty soaked at Stowe. I had to put a Goretex Arctyrex underneath to feel human. I.e., dry.

I haven’t used the eVent Lab but once. (I guess they dropped the whole 2.0 3.0?… thing) The neoshell one you can fend off winds no problem. This one, worries me from the little I’ve tried it.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought a Strafe Nomad jacket last fall. It is Event DV flex and I have used in rain to snow and I have not had any water get through it. It is also very breathable. I do feel heavy wind sometimes. It has a free ride/comfortable fit. I am very happy with it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Okay, let's assume I want to replace ancient Neoshell Mammut trousers with something mildly insulated and dry. Let's assume I already own a Strafe just as youthful as @Tony S , except with longer arms. (Because I do).

It has to be able to do northern VT and QC.
It has to be able to take many hours in Snowshoe freezing rain

Will take:

Blue palette, periwinkle, cyclamen
Strong color blocking
Red palette so long as not boring brick
Black with yellow, red or blue accents

Do not want:

Skimo level venting - have that in surfeit.
Pastel or subdued greens
Boring brick red
Camouflage of any pattern
Tan
Grey unless strong blue undertones

Whatcha got?

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okay, let's assume I want to replace ancient Neoshell Mammut trousers with something mildly insulated and dry. Let's assume I already own a Strafe just as youthful as @Tony S , except with longer arms. (Because I do).

It has to be able to do northern VT and QC.
It has to be able to take many hours in Snowshoe freezing rain

Will take:

Blue palette, periwinkle, cyclamen
Strong color blocking
Red palette so long as not boring brick
Black with yellow, red or blue accents

Do not want:

Skimo level venting - have that in surfeit.
Pastel or subdued greens
Boring brick red
Camouflage of any pattern
Tan
Grey unless strong blue undertones

Whatcha got?
I have been using Mountain Hardware Cloud Bank this season and have been very happy.