• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Everything you need to know about the new Dominator paste waxes.

johns80050

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the video Jacques. I did watch it start to finish. I'm about out of wax and was looking to switch up. You've got me thinking about making the switch to paste. You said in another thread "I think if base prep. wax every 10th day or so, you will be fine as long as you paste each day (night). Very little is needed per application. Dominator's paste waxes are quite durable."

What are you seeing with durability of this wax? Are you saying you should be pasting every day? I know it's users choice and all that, I'm just trying to be practical.

So if I start this program, do a traditional base prep hot wax every 10th day or so, and then hit it with the paste how often?
Thanks!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Thanks for the video Jacques. I did watch it start to finish. I'm about out of wax and was looking to switch up. You've got me thinking about making the switch to paste. You said in another thread "I think if base prep. wax every 10th day or so, you will be fine as long as you paste each day (night). Very little is needed per application. Dominator's paste waxes are quite durable."

What are you seeing with durability of this wax? Are you saying you should be pasting every day? I know it's users choice and all that, I'm just trying to be practical.

So if I start this program, do a traditional base prep hot wax every 10th day or so, and then hit it with the paste how often?
Thanks!
Like I said in the deal, I think it will handle 6 hours of actual running time. I have gone about 8 hours, and the bases still looked and ran great. I think given a good base prep. with the Dominator Base Renews or the FFC one could easily ski 20 days before prepping again.
So far I used two pair, for 18 days, and still looking and running great.
Put the FFC 2B on my wives skis, and today she said they were way, way fast!
One can prep. more often for sure, but if all looks and glides great........why.

Give them a try, and come back and tell us!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
After working more with this paste, I can see it's easy to apply more than needed. I'm gonna' say one gram per ski should be plenty.
Not a big deal with the FFC at $0.27, but maybe a bit with the Elite at $1.20 Still never gonna' break the bank.
Performance continues to amaze.

PMorenus

Booting up
Skier
Hi. Thanks for the video.

I’ve been using the Elite and FFC pastes on our skis for three seasons now.

Since picking up a can of the FFC base prep from SkiMD at the beginning of last season I haven’t plugged in the iron once.

My application method is somewhat similar to Jacques. I use a brass roto brush, rub on the wax VERY sparingly and let it dry an hour or so. Rotocork next and finish up with a nylon roto brushing.

Every 5 days or so, I’ll do a round of FFC1 base prep before applying an FFC2 wax. Toward the end of the season when things start to get icky, I may clean with Wend MF Natural Cleaner/Conditioner before the base prep.

I have been extremely pleased with the Dominator paste products. The time savings have been enormous since I am maintaining skis for a family of four. The only pain points have been the conditions at each end of the spectrum.

Last season we did have a day when the ambient temperatures were below zero F (-17c). I had applied FFC P2c the night before. I think the skis would have been faster without it. I have purchased some Psycho paste wax to try the next time we are out in the “wicked” cold of northern New England.

Similarly, the FFC2 doesn’t seem to last sufficiently on end-of-season sloppy warm days. I have tried applying Zardoz NOTwax over the top of the FFC2 a few times now, but the combo doesn’t seem to last even up until lunch time. I’m considering trying the rub-on Dominator Butter at the end of this season.

I’m not so sure that an application of the paste is more durable than a traditional hot wax. But that isn’t an issue for me. The paste wax is so quick and easy relative to hot wax that I do re-wax after each day on the snow.

If we are staying overnight away from home I wax in the hotel room. Typically the skis will warm and dry up while the family rotates though the shower. I’ll hand brush and rub on wax after showers and before dinner. Then hand cork and hand brush after dinner.

I have previously tried Swix and Toko spray waxes but schlepping the skis outdoor to spray and then back indoors is just too much hassle. It would be interesting to see the results if someone were to do a cost per application test on the sprays.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Hi. Thanks for the video.

I’ve been using the Elite and FFC pastes on our skis for three seasons now.

Since picking up a can of the FFC base prep from SkiMD at the beginning of last season I haven’t plugged in the iron once.

My application method is somewhat similar to Jacques. I use a brass roto brush, rub on the wax VERY sparingly and let it dry an hour or so. Rotocork next and finish up with a nylon roto brushing.

Every 5 days or so, I’ll do a round of FFC1 base prep before applying an FFC2 wax. Toward the end of the season when things start to get icky, I may clean with Wend MF Natural Cleaner/Conditioner before the base prep.

I have been extremely pleased with the Dominator paste products. The time savings have been enormous since I am maintaining skis for a family of four. The only pain points have been the conditions at each end of the spectrum.

Last season we did have a day when the ambient temperatures were below zero F (-17c). I had applied FFC P2c the night before. I think the skis would have been faster without it. I have purchased some Psycho paste wax to try the next time we are out in the “wicked” cold of northern New England.

Similarly, the FFC2 doesn’t seem to last sufficiently on end-of-season sloppy warm days. I have tried applying Zardoz NOTwax over the top of the FFC2 a few times now, but the combo doesn’t seem to last even up until lunch time. I’m considering trying the rub-on Dominator Butter at the end of this season.

I’m not so sure that an application of the paste is more durable than a traditional hot wax. But that isn’t an issue for me. The paste wax is so quick and easy relative to hot wax that I do re-wax after each day on the snow.

If we are staying overnight away from home I wax in the hotel room. Typically the skis will warm and dry up while the family rotates though the shower. I’ll hand brush and rub on wax after showers and before dinner. Then hand cork and hand brush after dinner.

I have previously tried Swix and Toko spray waxes but schlepping the skis outdoor to spray and then back indoors is just too much hassle. It would be interesting to see the results if someone were to do a cost per application test on the sprays.
Nice! For spring, you might try the Elite OS 3, or the Elite W (wet) to overlay. Good luck, and thanks for telling us what you think.

PMorenus

Booting up
Skier
So where are you brushing then
Hi - trying to answer your two questions:

When traveling, I generally cork the skis in the hotel bathroom and then brush out the skis on the patio if the hotel/condo has one. If not, out in the parking lot before putting the skis back into the roof box on the car.

When working at home in my basement, I roto brush the skis there. I wear a respirator with 3M P100 particulate filters while running the brush. It seems like I kick up more stuff into the air when using the roto.

I honestly don't know if breathing the roto brush dust is more or less hazardous than the spray wax overspray. The one time I tried spraying wax indoors it seemed to me that I was getting it all over the bench. I suppose I could spread newspapers out next time.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started using the Elite OS paste waxes last year and have been very happy with them. Rather than using cork I'm using the SkiMD Pro-glide followed by brushing.

I need to get some of the NS versions now. Thanks for the video!

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
What happens if you don't brush before applying wax/wax paste? Say you're topping up midday and don't have a brush with you out on the snow, or in the case of hot ironing indoors, you don't have anywhere suitable for making dust. Does waxing on top of dirt ruin the base in any way other than making it run slower that day? Would you end up with impacted dirt than would take a grind to remove, or is it no big deal if you wanted to prevent base burn and have reasonable glide rather than gain hundredths?

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
What happens if you don't brush before applying wax/wax paste? Say you're topping up midday and don't have a brush with you out on the snow, or in the case of hot ironing indoors, you don't have anywhere suitable for making dust. Does waxing on top of dirt ruin the base in any way other than making it run slower that day? Would you end up with impacted dirt than would take a grind to remove, or is it no big deal if you wanted to prevent base burn and have reasonable glide rather than gain hundredths?
Sure you can still apply, but applying to a clean base is always best, be it hot wax or paste etc.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I started using the Elite OS paste waxes last year and have been very happy with them. Rather than using cork I'm using the SkiMD Pro-glide followed by brushing.

I need to get some of the NS versions now. Thanks for the video!
Nice! I don't think the paste really needs the Pro-Glide, but it sure can't hurt! Any way to buff it off should be fine. Using a microfiber cloth, like for waxing cars etc. would also fill the bill.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
May I suggest the chapter feature? You can set up chapters for each wax so your viewers can go right to the spot they are looking for.
Yea, I hear you, but too much work! YouTube eventually does that for me. They have in the past, anyway.
Sorry, but I have a hard time making short takes. I was surprised when I produced it and it was 1 hour!
Thanks for all you do for our community. The slo-mo "drunk review" made me laugh for sure! :beercheer:
I am working hard on drinking much, much less these days. I need to fit into some old onesies! :decisions:

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry, but I have a hard time making short takes.
I usually watch ski prep videos after I'm done for the day. I've dozed off watching five- or ten-minute ones. Your commenrary always keep me awake to the end, thirty minutes, an hour, no problem.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice! I don't think the paste really needs the Pro-Glide, but it sure can't hurt! Any way to buff it off should be fine. Using a microfiber cloth, like for waxing cars etc. would also fill the bill.
Probably not but it's quick work.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I usually watch ski prep videos after I'm done for the day. I've dozed off watching five- or ten-minute ones. Your commenrary always keep me awake to the end, thirty minutes, an hour, no problem.
I know it's tough! I forgot about how good the paste is for snow shovels!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Probably not but it's quick work.
If you saw my very worn brass brush, well I have been using it, and skipping the buffing with anything.
That's where a severely worn brass brush excels! Polish and open structure all at the same time! It's worked in, so press as hard as you like!
I continue to be very impressed with the Elite paste, and have been sharing the FFC with friends at the Mt. They are blown away, and that's the FFC! Later I will style them with an Elite job! Minds will be blown! Not like Sandoz, or Owsley, but kinda the same!

Sponsor

Staff online