• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Everything you need to know about the new Dominator paste waxes.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
The ordered Dominator waxes arrived and I applied them for the first time. All are pastes.

Process was (for the boy's race skis):

1. Clean ski bases with Swix Glide Wax Cleaner
2. Apply FFC P1 base prep. I used fiberlene as the applicator and as per instructions, applied a thick layer.
3. Wait 30 minutes
4. Push in hard with a cork block
5. Brush out with a hard nylon brush and clean off dust with a very light horsehair brush
6. Apply Elite OS 3P. Very thin layer, with the applicator from the (plastic) jar
7. Wait 30 minutes
8. Push in hard with a cork block
9. Brush out with a hard nylon brush
10. Brush out with a soft nylon brush
11. Lightly buff with a piece of clean fiberlene

Process for my skis was basically the same, but with FFC P2.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough, but for my skis the base prep still seems a bit sticky when pushing in with the cork after 30 minutes.
The boy said he didn't really notice anything on the GS course today during training, but when he was messing about on the slope he did seem to have better glide (he's 8, so I'm not going to get much more than that!)
My bases were in a very poor condition. Very dry. After only skiiing maybe one hour today, I've noticed that they appear a bit dry again.
For the boy, his bases were in better condition, but after three hours of training today, they also looked about the same as they were before yesterday's waxing. Certainly not nice and shiny.

This afternoon I'm again applying base prep and glide waxes as per above. There's more training tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see how things look after that. The boy has the club championship race on Saturday, so was hoping to just apply a second coat of Elite before that, but we'll see.

The snow here are the moment is pretty horrendous. It's icey with lots of little gravel-like ice pellets (there's probably a proper "ski" word for that) in the early morning, but then by late morning it's more mushy spring snow. I'm sure that's chewing on the base pretty badly. It's far too warm for February! Cools off again next week, but no new snow predicted.
If I'm not mistaken, the base prep. FFC 1 is to be scraped off and brushed out well. It's not to be corked, or buffed in.
If one leaves too much of it on, it will come through, and the skis will be slow on cold snows.
The base prep. be it hot wax, or the paste, need only be done from time to time, not every time!
Like I said prior, I started with well-prepared bases, and have run paste only for 30 plus days now, and the bases look great, and I continue to be very impressed with the performance of the paste waxes. I am hauling mail all the time!

No wax will work well, if the base is already "burnt". The base burn needs to be fixed first.

phillc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If I'm not mistaken, the base prep. FFC 1 is to be scraped off and brushed out well. It's not to be corked, or buffed in.
If one leaves too much of it on, it will come through, and the skis will be slow on cold snows.
Well I guess I screwed that one up with the cork. I guess it’s all a learning process. Let’s hope for no very cold snow!

phillc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Now having said that ^^ I remembered why I corked that base prep in. It was based on info on this page:

Specifically:

Dominator Paste Wax application:

1. Apply a medium thick coating of Dominator P1 Base Prep, massage in with applicator then finish with long even passes.

2. Let dry/cure for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better!

3. Using the SkiMD ProGlide, rub in wax vigorously for 40-60 seconds.

4. Apply your chosen Dominator Glide wax in a thin layer over the P1.

5. Let it dry/cure for at least 30 minutes.

6. Using the ProGlide, rub in wax again 40-60 seconds.

7. Utilizing a stiff nylon brush, NO METALLIC BRUSHES WHATSOEVER, scrub the base back and forth to properly evacuate the wax from the base/base structure. finish with long strokes tips to tail.

8. Utilizing a soft nylon brush, repeat step 7, buffing the base to a brilliant shine.”

Without access to a ProGlide, I used a cork instead.

I’m sure everyone has their own preferences, and there are probably more than one method that works, but if someone the calibre of SkiMD doesn’t scrape the base prep, maybe I won’t be too badly off at this end of the season.

Anyway, like I said, it’s a learning experience and I’m just trying to soak up info at this point.

Last edited:
TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Now having said that ^^ I remembered why I corked that base prep in. It was based on info on this page:

Specifically:

Dominator Paste Wax application:

1. Apply a medium thick coating of Dominator P1 Base Prep, massage in with applicator then finish with long even passes.

2. Let dry/cure for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better!

3. Using the SkiMD ProGlide, rub in wax vigorously for 40-60 seconds.

4. Apply your chosen Dominator Glide wax in a thin layer over the P1.

5. Let it dry/cure for at least 30 minutes.

6. Using the ProGlide, rub in wax again 40-60 seconds.

7. Utilizing a stiff nylon brush, NO METALLIC BRUSHES WHATSOEVER, scrub the base back and forth to properly evacuate the wax from the base/base structure. finish with long strokes tips to tail.

8. Utilizing a soft nylon brush, repeat step 7, buffing the base to a brilliant shine.”

Without access to a ProGlide, I used a cork instead.

I’m sure everyone has their own preferences, and there are probably more than one method that works, but if someone the calibre of SkiMD doesn’t scrape the base prep, maybe I won’t be too badly off at this end of the season.

Anyway, like I said, it’s a learning experience and I’m just trying to soak up info at this point.
I know Mike is well respected, but that's not what the maker says regarding the FFC P1
FFC Paste.jpg

Brush well.........this means steel, brass, bronze etc. except for the scrubbing of the FFC 1, use nylon to brush both directions.
Prior to brushing, it is best to let the paste dry very well. In a cold place, this takes much longer. The P1 being soft, it would be wise to let it dry well. If it still seems to have any moisture, set them aside to dry more, then brush more after that.
You can use the Wax Wizard deal to buff, but no need with these paste waxes.
I've had great results just the way I showed the finishing in the video. Maybe review that part again. Good luck.
PS: Keep in mind, that using on a dried up burnt base will not work.

PMorenus

Booting up
Skier
I'm on my second season of using the FFC P1 base prep wax. I follow the instructions as are printed on the side of the can.

To me at least, the step of brushing the wax vigorously immediately after applying seems to make sense.

Then again, I'm not a materials scientist. I started college as chemical engineering major and exited with a degree in communications.

I wonder if the brushing serves a cleaning function. The instructions on my bottle of Wend MF Natural Cleaner/Conditioner are almost identical.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be so quick to disregard thoughts and directions from Mike D. I have exchanged a few emails with Thanos at Dominator while looking for help and he speaks VERY highly about Mike. It does also appear that Dominator products appear at SkiMD in advance of other vendors.

Following the link above, I did go to check out the latest advice from the SkiMD website. He is currently saying to stay away from metal brushes. That does pretty strongly oppose the current accepted orthodoxy on ski tuning.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I'm on my second season of using the FFC P1 base prep wax. I follow the instructions as are printed on the side of the can.

To me at least, the step of brushing the wax vigorously immediately after applying seems to make sense.

Then again, I'm not a materials scientist. I started college as chemical engineering major and exited with a degree in communications.

I wonder if the brushing serves a cleaning function. The instructions on my bottle of Wend MF Natural Cleaner/Conditioner are almost identical.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be so quick to disregard thoughts and directions from Mike D. I have exchanged a few emails with Thanos at Dominator while looking for help and he speaks VERY highly about Mike. It does also appear that Dominator products appear at SkiMD in advance of other vendors.

Following the link above, I did go to check out the latest advice from the SkiMD website. He is currently saying to stay away from metal brushes. That does pretty strongly oppose the current accepted orthodoxy on ski tuning.
In those instructions from Mike, he skips the scraping of the P1. He goes to the wizard, then says apply glide wax over that.
I believe one must completely remove the "thick" layer of the P1 and brush like crazy before applying a glide paste.
If not, the base is going to be slow.
I have had this reported to me by another user as well.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
After 2 days with one OS 3P application.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
From a friend that used FFC P2 when FFC P2c was the call.

"Hi Jacques.
I used the FP2 on my DPS skis Wed & Thurs. it worked very well in spite of the cold weather. All I did was steel brush my skis. Apply FP2. Fibertex several hours later and nylon finish brush. Did not rewax between Wed and Thurs.
John"

This guy skis the powder, and that's always better with the harder waxes, but still he was impressed.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Jacques - I've got paste and a block of base prep on the way. Last time I used my skis, I dropped them off at the shop for waxing. How would you go about it now? Ski the shop wax on day 1 and use paste before day 2, or use the shop wax job as a mere base prep and apply paste before day 1?

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
@Jacques - I've got paste and a block of base prep on the way. Last time I used my skis, I dropped them off at the shop for waxing. How would you go about it now? Ski the shop wax on day 1 and use paste before day 2, or use the shop wax job as a mere base prep and apply paste before day 1?
Go ahead and ski the wax for a day, or two. Once you get the prep wax, brush well first, put on the prep. wax.
Iron, cool. Iron, cool, Iron, cool. (three cycles)
Scrape like crazy and brush like crazy. Now you are ready to paste them up.
Please let us know how it goes for you after that.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Go ahead and ski the wax for a day, or two. Once you get the prep wax, brush well first, put on the prep. wax.
Iron, cool. Iron, cool, Iron, cool. (three cycles)
Scrape like crazy and brush like crazy. Now you are ready to paste them up.
Please let us know how it goes for you after that.
Ah, there's the snag - I've got the base prep wax for my permanent set-up, but will be without the iron for a while so won't be able to load up the base initially. That's why I'm wondering whether to paste over the shop wax for day 1, or ski it first and then paste.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Ah, there's the snag - I've got the base prep wax for my permanent set-up, but will be without the iron for a while so won't be able to load up the base initially. That's why I'm wondering whether to paste over the shop wax for day 1, or ski it first and then paste.
If you can brush out the shop wax real good, they apply the paste, I think you will be happier than "shop" wax.
You can always apply Base Renew when you can, later on.
Again, give us feedback on how it goes!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Thanks.

Doesn't seem to be available over here - the only base prep wax on the European site is FFC 1. Shame, Renew's mix of soft and hard wax sounds like a very good thing.
No problem. Use the FFC 1 hot wax for prep. !
Here is the link for Europe.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Because I have been so stoked with the performance and durability of the Elite and FFC paste waxes, I will now go full bore with the Legacy paste waxes. I'll be getting them soon. Should be awesome for spring!
Legacy Paste.jpg
Legacy Paste.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^Interesting. I need to check pricing on those - I suspect they're faster and less stinky than the Vola fluo pastes I used this season.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
^Interesting. I need to check pricing on those - I suspect they're faster and less stinky than the Vola fluo pastes I used this season.
$1.30 per gram. Average cost to do a pair? $2.60 based on my working with these paste for a while now.
I go over all the paste types cost in the video.

James

Out There
Instructor
'Frozen granular' welcome to what 95% of our season looks like most years :( - this year is worse.
This year we had a lot of what I’d call “ice gravel” or “white ice gravel”. Different then the usual frozen granular.
Then we’ve had seriously heavy gauge ice gravel, like 2-3 inch pieces, mixed in with man made pow. That was actually interesting once you hit the ignore button on sound and vibrations.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
This year we had a lot of what I’d call “ice gravel” or “white ice gravel”. Different then the usual frozen granular.
Then we’ve had seriously heavy gauge ice gravel, like 2-3 inch pieces, mixed in with man made pow. That was actually interesting once you hit the ignore button on sound and vibrations.
Question is....have you tried any of the Dominator paste waxes yet?

Sponsor

Staff online