• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Everything you need to know about the new Dominator paste waxes.

James

Out There
Instructor
So if going for only two, which ones? East.
Thinking old snow coldest and warmest?

After having some actual real snow recently, you do notice how much more friction there is.

PMorenus

Booting up
Skier
If going with the FFC waxes, I'd say get the FFC P2 and the FFC P2c since one is rated as 19F and warmer and the other is 19F and colder.

The Elite series have a bit of gap between the coldest and warmest waxes.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So if going for only two, which ones? East.
Thinking old snow coldest and warmest?

After having some actual real snow recently, you do notice how much more friction there is.
I think you already know the answers.
FCC is cheap and good, so go for them all.
As for the Elite, I would say start with the OS 2P and the NS 2P. They seem to run well, even out of range. Some days you will haul mail, and some days you will just haul.

Anytime the skis need to plow snow, one will always be slower. As for man-made, IDK, but the FFC 2c may be a good bet as it is very hard as is either of the Elite No. 1's
Let us know how it goes if you try any of them.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Tried out the FFC 2Pc today at 0 degrees F air today, and it performed fantastic.
All the race kids were there for the Sun Cup races, and none of them out glided me on the run out, even though I was dressed like the Pillsbury dough boy and the Michelin Man!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have OS1, OS2 and OS3. I don't know enough about wax and performance to decide if I should also get the NS range. I'm not racing and am only looking for a smooth gliding ski. Am I going to see sticky skis if I use OS in new snow?

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I have OS1, OS2 and OS3. I don't know enough about wax and performance to decide if I should also get the NS range. I'm not racing and am only looking for a smooth gliding ski. Am I going to see sticky skis if I use OS in new snow?
I doubt it if you use the hardest one (OS 1). Just work with those Old Snows, and let us know what you think.
One will always be slower in fresh snow, and deeper even more, so keep that in mind.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt it if you use the hardest one (OS 1). Just work with those Old Snows, and let us know what you think.
One will always be slower in fresh snow, and deeper even more, so keep that in mind.
Thanks. I'll do that.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
@Jacques The method of using a harder wax near the edge - does it work with the pastes too or is it something I need to be using an iron for?
Sure it would work, but I suggest just using the proper paste for conditions, and be sure to cover the whole base, and leave no voids at the edges.
If you did do that with the paste, it would be best to finish one before you applied the hardest one to the edges.
The Psycho paste, either OS or NS, are the hardest paste they make. It's for 7 F and lower snows.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Report from a friend I shared FFC with. He said it was like "Greased lightning" He's sold. I gave him some, so he won't need to buy any too soon.

Noun. greased lightning (uncountable) Something incredibly fast (now mainly used in comparison: like or faster than greased lightning).

FFC is the cheapest in the paste line, too!

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
How do you decide what temperature the snow is? Are you taking a thermometer out with you every time, or do you estimate on the basis of the air temp?

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you decide what temperature the snow is? Are you taking a thermometer out with you every time, or do you estimate on the basis of the air temp?

I've read that a rule of thumb some people use is to take the mid-point between the low and high air temp for the day and use that to get the approximate snow temp. I'm assuming if that's a reasonable approach then it would only be for recreational skiing and that racers are using a more concrete method.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
IR thermometer. One that you can set the emissivity to 0.98
Since waxes have a range, you only need to be in that range.
Snow temps. will change quite a bit or not depending on sun exposure and with pollutants in the snow.
No need to get overly scientific. Get one if you want, and experiment.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strikes me as more practical if you're waxing the night before.
Yes, I think so. Seeing as I live in the flatlands I don't have the option of measuring the actual snow temp for my weekend day trips. When it's time to wax it's usually the night before.

Sponsor

Staff online