• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Excited about skiing - In July ?

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well I did it ! Ordered Elan Ripstick 96 Black 21-22 edition, Tyrolia bindings - mounted, new base prep wax and I have enjoyed the research/questions etc. buying them and now I get to enjoy the anticipation of a UPS delivery. Then I get to base prep wax them with my solar "hot box" method. Hell I am going to get a month of skiing enjoyment in July and August.

The anticipation is similar to sitting in a duck blind and having a flock of Greenheads circling your decoys for the 3rd time.

steveskier

Booting up
Skier
I'm jonesing for winter too. Hold on, the sun is beating a retreat to the Southern Hemisphere. Nights are slowly getting longer and the temps will start dropping soon.

Winter is on its way.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes Steve been getting closer as far as I am concerned June 22 is the lst day of fall. Waiting for:

silver 2012 003.JPG
Another crowded day at Silver Mt.
silver 2012 003.JPG

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Yep Pete the last couple of mornings felt like Fall. Today is in the 90s but the mornings rock.
Nice ski choice enjoy them. Should be a great ski for Silver.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I, too, have a new pair courtesy of SkiEssentials sitting in the basement.
1627212366741.png

Never owned Blizzard skis before, but I am anticipating they will be a ton of fun! :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...as far as I am concerned June 22 is the lst day of fall...

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I envy you guys; we're still heading toward our month of max temperature & humidity, and September generally gets only slightly better until the final third of the month.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I envy you guys; we're still heading toward our month of max temperature & humidity, and September generally gets only slightly better until the final third of the month.
Same here... we often still have 90°+ temps in September here. But we also get some 70° highs and lows in the 50s, so you can tell the change is starting.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Sept average low here is 23 C (73F) and 71% humidity.
December and January are the only two months when the average humidity drops below 50%.
Still, Tokyo winters are great, and excepting July-Sept the climate is pretty comfortable.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does a fish have lips?!? I never rely on temperature as a trigger - we can hit 100 in September. The shift in light, though .... I'd swear the texture of the light starts to change by the end of July, not just the amount or angle. Oh, and while there's no hard seasonality to acquiring new gear, it does seem to occupy my thoughts deliciously starting about now.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier

PNW is still pretty hot, has been the hottest on record (since 1895). Lots of smoke in the air, quite a few "smaller" type fires but lucky so far no big inferno's in Idaho or Mt. Normally we will start cooling off in Sept. Actually days in the 80's and cool 40's at night is really nice. If you can't have powder might as well be sunshine.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The summers here in the low countries can be all over the place. That's not really helping me get into some sort of winter-oriented biorhythm. Buying and servicing skis in the off-season, however, is a concept that has proved its worth. It will get/keep you in winter mode. Skiing the new gear every once in a while on an indoor ski slope also helps (to hide from the heat too, by the way).
I just did a session this morning, getting to really know my 'new' (used, 2019) Fischer Curv GT's. If you can handle those 'rocket ships' as one of you guys once called them on a quite flat, skied-out slope filled with kids having their first lessons off-the beginners hill... That's the real mastery I'm after during the summer months.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Enough of the summer crap….
What size did you get ?

RS fan boy here with the prior black 96 and 106 both in the 181. Dreaming of needing the 116 and yes, the evenings are starting to cool.
123 days till we ride again

Enjoy the new skis, @SkiEssentials rocks !

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Congrats on the new toys!
You’re not the only ones excited about next season already. Was tuning my latest ski purchase-190cm 2021 Faction CT 3.0 and marking desired binding mounts yesterday and had a bunch of my other skis out to compare with them. New bindings will be ordered and mounted soon when my local shop opens for the season late August.

Have 3 new pairs of skis to try out and didn’t get as many days on my existing ones last season. My province was shut down for 7 weeks and when the resorts were open, they were packed with kids not in school and adults not in their offices. Grrrrr

It HAS TO BE a way better season this year!!:crossfingers:

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another thing I key in on in late July is the return of the local Wood Ducks to a nearby waterway, in preparation for the Fall breeding season. The rule is that how ever many wood ducks I see in my first July sighting - that's how many new pairs of skis I get to buy in the upcoming season.
I usually break that rule e.g. only observed a single lonely female this time. There were eleven the next day, though, so I got that going for me.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I went skiing yesterday in indoor fridge slope at Big Snow American Dream. It's a small slope but it felt great to ski and be in 34F for 2 hours with fellow Ski Divas, @Large Squirrel and friends.

Yes the jonesing is real, I am shopping for ski gear to give in to the jonesing and will be skiing at Big Snow again before the season starts.

Sponsor

Staff online