• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EXCLUSIVE: Look To Offer WTR AFD for Pivot 18

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 11.05.30 AM.png

Look is furthering its commitment to the WTR (Walk To Ride) sole design. The venerable single-pivot design of the Pivot 18 has offered only a solid traditional DIN/ISO AFD -- until now. Look will be offering a WTR-specific AFD that is backwards-compatible with not only Look Pivot 18s but all of the single-pivot designs including the Pivot 15 and PX15 and 18 (non-World Cup), as well as Rossignol's FKS and Axial counterparts.

These new AFDs are not "dual" in design like the multidirectional toes of the 12 and 14 offerings. Look believes once someone starts using a WTR sole, they will stay with it and not switch back and forth between a DIN sole, so there will be little reason to offer the adjustment feature at this level. The AFD design will continue to be the solid interface that the metal toe lovers have come to appreciate.

Retail price has not been set yet, but figure a pair of these AFDs will cost about $25 and be available only as a stand-alone part. The part number is FCEF002.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
This changes absolutely everything! We can stop talking about the binding, now we can talk about what are the best WTR boots out there: GO!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Umm... the answer is going to be 'Flexons'/Full Tilt - we know that, just not sure how or exactly when. :D
With Full Tilt being under the same umbrella, as long as they don't disband the companies, they should see it soon.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I was half-kidding you given your previous enthusiasm for the boot... but you can look at any number of Koflachs, Scarpas, Dynafits, Roxas, to see 3 piece boots doing better than well in walking mode, so it becomes a question of 'which 3 piece boot skis best'?

Spin the crank and get the answer ;)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Umm... the answer is going to be 'Flexons'/Full Tilt - we know that, just not sure how or exactly when. :D

With Full Tilt being under the same umbrella, as long as they don't disband the companies, they should see it soon.

Yes, we will see Grip Walk..Sole available on upcoming Full Tilts

Dee Hubbs

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone have any input on how these WTR AFDs will play with a ISO 5355 boot?
I'm looking to use my WTR boots on a ski w P18's with the WTR AFD, and wondering if I can also ski this set up with a traditional ISO 5355.
I'm going to mount these up and see what the toe looks like. Photos to follow.
Any input before I start screwing and drilling would be appreciated.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone have any input on how these WTR AFDs will play with a ISO 5355 boot?
I'm looking to use my WTR boots on a ski w P18's with the WTR AFD, and wondering if I can also ski this set up with a traditional ISO 5355.
I'm going to mount these up and see what the toe looks like. Photos to follow.
Any input before I start screwing and drilling would be appreciated.
Nope. one or the other. No adjustability.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Why didn't Look come out with a mechanical AFD? If they had done that then wouldn't it make the binding compatible with a lug sole boot and not just a boot with a smooth patch under foot?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why didn't Look come out with a mechanical AFD? If they had done that then wouldn't it make the binding compatible with a lug sole boot and not just a boot with a smooth patch under foot?
Cost. It is such a small segment.

Sponsor

Staff online